Skip to main content

There is a growing movement to discredit Indo Guyanese of their identity while others are ashamed of that unique identity and disregard the struggles of their fore fathers.

 

Peek around and you will see. Read the new headlines of certain Newspapers and you will notice.

 

First, I am of Indian origin and no one can take that away from me. I am proud of my culture and dharma and NO it is not caste based. Caste was created by a bunch of men to stay at the top of the social and economic ladder. Only the foolish will paint my Dharma as caste based and I forgive their ignorance.

 

Let me make it clear, the Bhagavad Gita mentions divisions of society and CASTE is NEVER mentioned .

 

In the west, we have businessmen, soldiers, spiritual leaders, and the ordinary working class. That is no different than what is mentioned in the Bhagavad Gita. It was an economic system mentioned in the Bhagavad Gita and it stands in the west till this day. It is called division of labour. 

 

My food is unique and tasty. People love. It has a unique blend of spices. Why should I be ashamed of how I cook it ? Who cares if a few find it offensive ? I am proud of my food.

 

My foreparents suffered at the hands of the British and then had to face racism for 28 years under a black dictator and we did jobs that others refused to perform. We still survived.

 

We flourished and educated our children, worked the soil and became professionals and wealthy. Then a Black dictator attempted to destroy us because we were Indos. The Wismar Incident stands witness of this evil man.

This dictator attempted to exterminate us but we stood firm and survived.

 

I am proud to be Indo.

 

While most Afros remained in the Public sector. Most Indos became businessmen and those who chose Agriculture as a means of living did exceeding well.

 

I am proud to be Indo.

 

Dr. Jagan fought for the poor and working class and yes, he made political mistakes but he is still considered to be the father of the nation. I am proud to be Indo.

 

Indos are the victims of the most violent crimes in Guyana and yet we push on. I am proud to be Indo.

 

For 28 years, our votes were stolen by a black dictator and our brothers murdered by the army because they refused to have their votes stolen. We survived and returned Guyana to a democratic nation since 1992.

 

We had to hide and sell and read the Mirror Newspaper because the dictator wanted it that way. Yet we survived.

 

We had to fetch water to drink and smuggle food to survive and had to wait days to cross rivers. We lined up for basic necessities. We lived through blackouts and had to deal with kick down the door bandits. We had to bribe government officials for basic paperwork including applications.

 

We survived, I am proud to be Indo.

 

Roads and bridges were broken and we had to line up for spare parts and Gas and Kerosene. We survived and I am proud to be Indo Guyanese.

 

A segment of Guyanese society endorsed two dictators and remained silent while a systematic policy was in place to demoralize us. We survived and I am proud to be Indo.

 

I can go on and on.

 

I am Guyanese and I am Canadian and I am Indo Guyanese who survived PNC dictators and I am proud of who I am. No one should tell me how to live my life and what to say. I am proud of who I am.

 

Unlike some who are ashamed to be Indo. It is their choice. I am proud of who I am.

 

I do not envy or hate anyone but please, I am proud to be Indo, leave me alone.

 

Indos are not superior to other Guyanese, we can have unity when we are seen and treated as equals.

 

 

 

 

Last edited by Former Member
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by yuji22:

There is a growing movement to discredit Indo Guyanese of their identity while others are ashamed of that unique identity and disregard the struggles of their fore fathers . . .

what a fraud

 

the record here on GNI exposes u as an inartful liar and highly ignorant bigot prancing around in faux Indo-nationalist garb burbling about "struggles of [] forefathers" to camouflage your low morals and backwardness

 

puuhlease . . .

Last edited by Former Member

Yuji Bhai (there...my Indo credentials), stop being hyperbolic. No one can deny;s one's truth. You're Indian like me. But don't tell me that people in India would treat you and me the same and treat all the other different Indians in India and in Desi land the same. This is why one has to not only proclaim one's Indian-ness, but do not use it to cover up other inadequacies, of which there are many that befell Indians. In the Guyana context it was to highlight the propagation of divisiveness by using the Indian thing that made him bring the other attributes of his Guyanese existence (which no one can deny). And you fools berate him for thinking he denounces his Indian-ness. And now you come here shouting your pride oin being an Indian as if your Indian-ness is under assault. No, it ain't. But you do Indians a dis-service. I probably got more scars than you in being an Indian in Guyana but I don't act like it's being taken away from me by Moses or Freddie. I  say I am an Indian from strength. You say you are an Indian from weakness.

Kari

 

You are entitled to your opinion.

 

I am proud to be Indo. It is ok with me if you are ashamed of or uncomfortable with your identity. I am not.

 

I could care less about your so called scars, I am proud to carry my scars and I am not afraid to call a spade a spade.

 

I could care less about what people from India "think" of me. I am proud of who I am and do not require any reassurances like you and others who perhaps suffer from low self esteem about their Indo Identity and discredit their own.

 

I have stated that I am Guyanese but will NEVER be ashamed to speak of my Indo identity.

 

Indos and for a matter of fact, no one can ever do a disservice to their identity by declaring that they are proud of it.

 

Afro Americans are proud of their Identity and I quite admire it. They do not hesitate to talk about their struggles and achievements. There is nothing wrong about Afro Americans being proud of who they are.

 

Let me correct you, I am Indian from my birth and strength. I survived and spoke out against two Black dictators in Guyana. I am proud of it and I am not afraid to speak out against what they did to us. Perhaps you are afraid to ruffle the feathers of your newfound friends. I am not.

 

As for Moses, he publicly declared that he is not Indian and it is for History to be the judge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Originally Posted by yuji22:

There is a growing movement to discredit Indo Guyanese of their identity while others are ashamed of that unique identity and disregard the struggles of their fore fathers . . .

what a fraud

 

the record here on GNI exposes u as an inartful liar and highly ignorant bigot prancing around in faux Indo-nationalist garb burbling about "struggles of [] forefathers" to camouflage your low morals and backwardness

 

puuhlease . . .

Originally Posted by yuji22:

 

 

I

 

Indos are not superior to other Guyanese, we can have unity when we are seen and treated as equals.

 

 

 

 

When you peddle "blackman lazy", "blackman a kill ahbie", and when you celebrate the exclusion of non Indians during the Jagdeo/Ramotar regimes you don't embrace being "Guyanese", so cut the crap.

 

You are NOT Guyanese, unless you see yourself within the context of this ethnically diverse nation, and you embrace the totality of what this means.

Originally Posted by TK:

Some how these ole insecure Indo men believe that to be Indo one must be subservient to PPP. What a piece of low IQed crap!

 

You are full of crap.

 

Indos nor Afros consider you worthy of anything nor of any social or economic value to them. 

 

That is the reason why any government of yesterday or today will not even consider your employment as a garbage collector.

Originally Posted by yuji22:
Originally Posted by TK:

Some how these ole insecure Indo men believe that to be Indo one must be subservient to PPP. What a piece of low IQed crap!

 

You are full of crap.

 

Indos nor Afros consider you worthy of anything nor of any social or economic value to them. 

 

That is the reason why any government of yesterday or today will not even consider your employment as a garbage collector.

So said our little ole pot belly Indo man ...what makes you think I want govt employment?

Originally Posted by TK:
Originally Posted by yuji22:
Originally Posted by TK:

Some how these ole insecure Indo men believe that to be Indo one must be subservient to PPP. What a piece of low IQed crap!

 

You are full of crap.

 

Indos nor Afros consider you worthy of anything nor of any social or economic value to them. 

 

That is the reason why any government of yesterday or today will not even consider your employment as a garbage collector.

So said our little ole pot belly Indo man ...what makes you think I want govt employment?

It is not what you think.

 

It is a fact that you are of ZERO value to ANY government past or present.

 

After winning the presidency, the PNC kicked you to the curb like a piece of garbage.

Last edited by Former Member
Originally Posted by yuji22:

.

 

Afro Americans are proud of their Identity and I quite admire it.

1.  African Americans see themselves as an AMERICAN people, and fight for the right to contribute and to benefit from this.  Their battle has been for INCLUSION.  99% of them don't have the slightest interest in the African continent, nor any desire to identify with those who live there.

 

2. You see yourself as an India centered person living in a far off land, as if you are an exile.  You think that your culture is "pure" and you seek to defend it from being "defiled" by others.  The problem is that very few people in Guyana, INCLUDING YOU, live in cultural isolation.

 

How do Indo Guyanese speak?  NOT Bhojpuri, Hindi, or Urdu, but creolese and English.  They adopted and adapted the speech from the colonials, and from the Creole Guyanese (African and mixed, and later Portuguese), and forgot that of their ancestors.

 

So how can you claim to be "Indian".  All you can claim to be is a Guyanese of Indian descent.  This is a FACT, and not a sign of self hatred.  The self hatred in fact is your DENIAL and repudiation of the cultures that Indo Caribbean peoples generated in their new lands.  You think it degraded because it isn't "pure," and because it contains within it influences of other ethnic groups.

 

You probably have no idea as to what "pure" Indian culture is.

Originally Posted by yuji22:
Originally Posted by TK:
Originally Posted by yuji22:
Originally Posted by TK:

Some how these ole insecure Indo men believe that to be Indo one must be subservient to PPP. What a piece of low IQed crap!

 

You are full of crap.

 

Indos nor Afros consider you worthy of anything nor of any social or economic value to them. 

 

That is the reason why any government of yesterday or today will not even consider your employment as a garbage collector.

So said our little ole pot belly Indo man ...what makes you think I want govt employment?

It is not what you think.

 

It is a fact that you are of ZERO value to ANY government past or present.

 

After winning the presidency, the PNC kicked you like a pile of garbage to the curb.

Balahoo Brahmin...things are not what they seem on the surface .

Originally Posted by caribny:
Originally Posted by yuji22:

.

 

Afro Americans are proud of their Identity and I quite admire it.

1.  African Americans see themselves as an AMERICAN people, and fight for the right to contribute and to benefit from this.  Their battle has been for INCLUSION.  99% of them don't have the slightest interest in the African continent, nor any desire to identify with those who live there.

 

2. You see yourself as an India centered person living in a far off land, as if you are an exile.  You think that your culture is "pure" and you seek to defend it from being "defiled" by others.  The problem is that very few people in Guyana, INCLUDING YOU, live in cultural isolation.

 

How do Indo Guyanese speak?  NOT Bhojpuri, Hindi, or Urdu, but creolese and English.  They adopted and adapted the speech from the colonials, and from the Creole Guyanese (African and mixed, and later Portuguese), and forgot that of their ancestors.

 

So how can you claim to be "Indian".  All you can claim to be is a Guyanese of Indian descent.  This is a FACT, and not a sign of self hatred.  The self hatred in fact is your DENIAL and repudiation of the cultures that Indo Caribbean peoples generated in their new lands.  You think it degraded because it isn't "pure," and because it contains within it influences of other ethnic groups.

 

You probably have no idea as to what "pure" Indian culture is.

Very well said. These morons think they are still live in UP and Bihar.

Last edited by Former Member
Originally Posted by TK:
 

Very well said. These morons think they are still in UP and Bihar.

Why am I proud to be Guyanese.

 

Because I can go to a party and eat the foods of many different cultures and view all of it as MINE. In fact I told this to a white American, who boasted about all the ethnic foods that one can eat in NYC.

 

Yes he can, but can he claim these foods as an integral part of who he is, and how much does he know about the cultural contexts of these foods, given that he wasn't raised alongside those who cook it.

 

Pity that Ravi Dev, and the rest of the Indo KKK group are so longing for cultural "purity," so dismissive of the cultural diversity and continuums implied in creole cultures, and so insistent that Guyana has tribes which live in separate boxes, lacking any obligation beyond their tribal context.

Originally Posted by caribny:
Originally Posted by yuji22:

.

 

Afro Americans are proud of their Identity and I quite admire it.

1.  African Americans see themselves as an AMERICAN people, and fight for the right to contribute and to benefit from this.  Their battle has been for INCLUSION.  99% of them don't have the slightest interest in the African continent, nor any desire to identify with those who live there.

 

Yuji: Last time I checked Afro Americans do not hesitate to speak of their struggles. I admire that. I have done the same. Black dictators excluded Indos for 28 years. None of us are speaking about India.

 

2. You see yourself as an India centered person living in a far off land, as if you are an exile.  You think that your culture is "pure" and you seek to defend it from being "defiled" by others.  The problem is that very few people in Guyana, INCLUDING YOU, live in cultural isolation.

 

Yuji: You are living in a fantasy world. Read up man, you are veering off topic. Are you blind ? Where did I mention that my culture is pure ? Invest in good pair of reading glasses.

 

How do Indo Guyanese speak?  NOT Bhojpuri, Hindi, or Urdu, but creolese and English.  They adopted and adapted the speech from the colonials, and from the Creole Guyanese (African and mixed, and later Portuguese), and forgot that of their ancestors.

 

Yuji: Who cares about how I speak ? None of your bloody business about how I speak. Read up man. Get a pair of glasses. What post are you reading from ?

 

So how can you claim to be "Indian".  All you can claim to be is a Guyanese of Indian descent.  This is a FACT, and not a sign of self hatred.  The self hatred in fact is your DENIAL and repudiation of the cultures that Indo Caribbean peoples generated in their new lands.  You think it degraded because it isn't "pure," and because it contains within it influences of other ethnic groups.

 

Yuji: You are veering off topic again. I am proud to be Indo. Who is talking about self hatred ?  Man, get a good pair of reading glasses.

 

You probably have no idea as to what "pure" Indian culture is.

 

Yuji: What nonsense are you talking about again. Where did I mention "pure" Indian Culture ? Man, for the last time, get a pair of reading glasses. You are full of crap.

Originally Posted by yuji22:
 

Yuji: What nonsense are you talking about again. Where did I mention "pure" Indian Culture ? Man, for the last time, get a pair of reading glasses. You are full of crap.

Your whole rant about your "culture" did imply "purity"

 

1.  There is no unique culture or value systems which bind all Indo Guyanese.

 

2.   Indo Guyanese, live within a multi cultural context just like people from other ethnicities.  It is also a fact that racists like you will condemn those who draw pride from being multicultural in orientation by calling them "self hating" Indians.

 

For 23 years Indian dictators abused blacks the same way as the African dictator abused Indians.

 

 

The fact that you don't want to discuss this fact shows that you have no interest in the fate of Guyanese.  You do NOT see the fate of Indians being pretty much bound into that of other Guyanese.

 

So spare us your Indo KKK indignation.

 

Afro Guyanese intellectuals DO NOT see Africans as being this separate and isolated group with some unique culture which differentiates them from others, and neither do black Americans. So don't excuse your racism for their own demand for equality.

Originally Posted by yuji22:

Your racist and anti Indo crap will not be tolerated.

 

Many racists and anti Indo like yourself attempted to prevent us from declaring our pride in our identity and have failed. 

 

Please try again.

 

 

Oh yes.

 

1.  When you scream "black man lazy".

 

2.   When you boast about your cultural "purity", implying that every Indo Guyanese lives within some monolith.

 

3.  When you demonize blacks as violent criminals with no positive to contribute.

 

4.  When you refuse to admit the role that Indians have in our ethnic distrust and deny that the PPP has done every thing possible to earn the hatred directed against it by blacks and mixed people.

 

 

To you all this isn't racist, but to condemn these attitudes is.

 

David Hinds, Nigel Hughes and other are proud Afro Guyanese.  They discuss the role of Afro Guyanese in Guyana's ethnic morass, even as the condemn that of Indians.

 

You sir aren't proud.  You merely seek an excuse to peddle your bigotry.

Last edited by caribny
Originally Posted by caribny:
Originally Posted by TK:
 

Very well said. These morons think they are still in UP and Bihar.

Why am I proud to be Guyanese.

 

Because I can go to a party and eat the foods of many different cultures and view all of it as MINE. In fact I told this to a white American, who boasted about all the ethnic foods that one can eat in NYC.

 

Yes he can, but can he claim these foods as an integral part of who he is, and how much does he know about the cultural contexts of these foods, given that he wasn't raised alongside those who cook it.

 

Pity that Ravi Dev, and the rest of the Indo KKK group are so longing for cultural "purity," so dismissive of the cultural diversity and continuums implied in creole cultures, and so insistent that Guyana has tribes which live in separate boxes, lacking any obligation beyond their tribal context.

I feel same about the food. But I am not so sure why I should be proud. Guyana has failed. It is a failed third world backwater. The pre-independence leaders and the present derivatives have failed my generation. They never fought for independence. The Brits wanted out. All this celebration they are planning next year is just a waste of money.

Originally Posted by TK:
.

I feel same about the food. But I am not so sure why I should be proud. Guyana has failed. It is a failed third world backwater. The pre-independence leaders and the present derivatives have failed my generation. They never fought for independence. The Brits wanted out. All this celebration they are planning next year is just a waste of money.

If more Guyanese derived pride in our cultural continuum, instead of remaining trapped within small bantustans, holding desperately to unscrupulous leaders, then Guyana wouldn't be a failed state.

 

Jamaicans have created a distinct brand and image which has helped them develop a tourist industry, an entertainment sector, and brands with reach beyond the Caribbean.  Why them and not us.  Because Jamaicans are fiercely proud of being Jamaican, and others have picked that up.

 

Guyanese don't even know who we are and so don't see our own "richness".  So we let a major heritage site, which Georgetown was, collapse into ruin.  Stabroek Market, a unique symbol of Guyana, a crime scene and a rat infested mess.

 

People do need symbols, and you live in the USA, a nation which is full of this.  So yes "50" years of Guyana is something to celebrate, even of we haven't achieved much since then.

Last edited by caribny
Originally Posted by Mitwah:

I read an article that said Indian people are in general a mixture of Caucasian, Mongoloid and Australoid races.

 

Yugi is a good coolee bhai.

It is in India where the Negroids evolved into Australoids.

 

Watch and see yuji, cobra and rama take a knife to their heart with the knowledge that Indians are the group closest to sub Saharan Africa of any group of humans. 

Originally Posted by yuji22:

@ Carib.

 

You sir, peddle Indo Hate and racism all day and night. Every single post of yours is full of hate towards Indos.

 

Sometimes you try to sugarcoat it but it is easily unwrapped by the stench of your hate of Indos.

 

You peddle it so much that your post stinks of racism.

I haven't seen him peddling anti-Indo hate. I have seen him using the term Indo KKK to describe some of you. I feel it's a suitable term given how you and people like Cobra get along. There is much merit in his distaste of the "Indian good, Blackman bad" ideology you guys peddle here. My contention is twofold: (i) Indo and Afro insecurity dilemmas feed off of each other. You cannot understand one without understanding the dynamic and strategic response of the other. This I have done on numerous occasions in the past 4 years. The Indo intellectuals over at Guyana Times have to model it this way...or else it is just ad hoc pseudo intellectualism.  (ii) You cannot blame blackman when PPP - elected by Indo masses - was in power for 23 years. What did they do to minimize drug pushing? Gold smuggling? Reform the police? Balance the army? Modernize the public service. Who killed sugar? Who killed UG? Who pawned the country's economic well-being by entering into a barter with a natural enemy, Venezuela? Who wasted significant financial resources on mal-investments like the Marriott, the fiber optic cable, Fip's road, etc? All these bad policies affect Indos and all other Guyanese. At the end of the day, no matter how you cut it, PPP will be seen as an Indo party...they just disgraced Indos with their method of governance, their gross incompetence, lawlessness and barefaced wealth accumulation clearly inconsistent with public pay scale.

Originally Posted by yuji22:

There is a growing movement to discredit Indo Guyanese of their identity while others are ashamed of that unique identity and disregard the struggles of their fore fathers.

 

Peek around and you will see. Read the new headlines of certain Newspapers and you will notice.

 

First, I am of Indian origin and no one can take that away from me. I am proud of my culture and dharma and NO it is not caste based. Caste was created by a bunch of men to stay at the top of the social and economic ladder. Only the foolish will paint my Dharma as caste based and I forgive their ignorance.

 

Let me make it clear, the Bhagavad Gita mentions divisions of society and CASTE is NEVER mentioned .

 

In the west, we have businessmen, soldiers, spiritual leaders, and the ordinary working class. That is no different than what is mentioned in the Bhagavad Gita. It was an economic system mentioned in the Bhagavad Gita and it stands in the west till this day. It is called division of labour. 

 

My food is unique and tasty. People love. It has a unique blend of spices. Why should I be ashamed of how I cook it ? Who cares if a few find it offensive ? I am proud of my food.

 

My foreparents suffered at the hands of the British and then had to face racism for 28 years under a black dictator and we did jobs that others refused to perform. We still survived.

 

We flourished and educated our children, worked the soil and became professionals and wealthy. Then a Black dictator attempted to destroy us because we were Indos. The Wismar Incident stands witness of this evil man.

This dictator attempted to exterminate us but we stood firm and survived.

 

I am proud to be Indo.

 

While most Afros remained in the Public sector. Most Indos became businessmen and those who chose Agriculture as a means of living did exceeding well.

 

I am proud to be Indo.

 

Dr. Jagan fought for the poor and working class and yes, he made political mistakes but he is still considered to be the father of the nation. I am proud to be Indo.

 

Indos are the victims of the most violent crimes in Guyana and yet we push on. I am proud to be Indo.

 

For 28 years, our votes were stolen by a black dictator and our brothers murdered by the army because they refused to have their votes stolen. We survived and returned Guyana to a democratic nation since 1992.

 

We had to hide and sell and read the Mirror Newspaper because the dictator wanted it that way. Yet we survived.

 

We had to fetch water to drink and smuggle food to survive and had to wait days to cross rivers. We lined up for basic necessities. We lived through blackouts and had to deal with kick down the door bandits. We had to bribe government officials for basic paperwork including applications.

 

We survived, I am proud to be Indo.

 

Roads and bridges were broken and we had to line up for spare parts and Gas and Kerosene. We survived and I am proud to be Indo Guyanese.

 

A segment of Guyanese society endorsed two dictators and remained silent while a systematic policy was in place to demoralize us. We survived and I am proud to be Indo.

 

I can go on and on.

 

I am Guyanese and I am Canadian and I am Indo Guyanese who survived PNC dictators and I am proud of who I am. No one should tell me how to live my life and what to say. I am proud of who I am.

 

Unlike some who are ashamed to be Indo. It is their choice. I am proud of who I am.

 

I do not envy or hate anyone but please, I am proud to be Indo, leave me alone.

 

Indos are not superior to other Guyanese, we can have unity when we are seen and treated as equals.

 

 

 

 

No one ever said you should not be proud of your heritage. The problem with your exposition is it began to meander into that place of sacred victimization and those other terrible people victimized you.

 

Burnham did not spare poor black people and most were. Whatever was your plight was theirs as well. That indians chose particular category of work does not mean any other type of work was easy street. It also does not mean indians worked because they were altruistic. It was reciprocal altruism. They did it because they anticipated income and advantages from their labor. That was paid for by the consumers of all ilk since we do not have a welfare system where some are given three squares for non performance.

 

Equality is not a condition to be traded. It is a default dispensation of rights. You do not get to choose that you are lesser than or greater than or will assert any condition with respect to rights not a possession of others. That condition has never been in question in Guyana.