Originally posted by kidmost:
To Say Burnham ensure any vestiages of cultural links by and between afro Guyanese and africa was destroyed by Burnham is laughbable. Look , I can understand your anger with Burnham for not empowering afro Guyanese more but to blame him for severing any remnants of cultural vestigaes is truely laughable .Look , fact of the matter is afro Guyanese had access to african root cutlure and traditions but they elected to be anglo in very sense of the meaning so dont go blaming slavery and Burnham. How come you aint got an african name ? at least Sidney King had the guts and balz to change his name to an africanized one . BUt hear this , you are not alone cause plenty Indians now giving their kinds anglo names . They too are in the process of losing their indentity and soon their culture and traditions . Look , I give all my kids indian names and I would be damned iof they give their kids anglo names . Imagine a coolie man walking up to you and saying my name is Alexander or Sean or something like that ? My wife is a indian roman catholic and she was given an anglo name . Since she married me she wanted to change her name to an indian name but has not because of her religion . I am not angry with her as she has to deal with her own indentity . My kids all got married hindu style while my wife made sure they did a christain or muslim ceremony so as not to disrespect .
People are not taught to distrust their own kind , it is something they experience and learn from it .
Why do you think ? because black leadership has failed the blackman . In guyana in the USA in africa . did you not read the threads about indian business leaders who led indian consumers into bankruptcy and loss of homes ? we have the address what is true and not delude ourselves . but then again , you seem to prefer delusion.
Indo carribeans have been f ed by their leaders too but thank god for their cutural heritage and traditions they are able to rise to the surface from exploitation and abuse . These indians who called themselves leaders will be jailed and punished and the Indian community will hopefully learn that honesty and ethics are the passports of success .
Isnt that the same dilemna indo guyanese are facing today with the PPP ?
No it is not racist because racism has mny connotations used when applicable . Does a roman catholic discriminate when non christians are denied holy communion ? You go overboard on the term racism a term which has been misused and abused for decades . Get over the term !
I hire and employ people who can get the job done , are honest and subscribe to good high ethics regardless of race and religion . Suppose your nose was a doorpost you are so full of supposes you f yourself before penetration. Bottom line dude people have to become motivated , invest in their own skills and capabilities etc. Look , over the 30 years I been in real estate I hired and fired more people than you can count . If I feel they lack the skills I tell them they need to seek another course before they sink themselves so , am I being racist when I fired an indian , russian , jew , muslim , american anglo , asian etc ????? I do not depend on the indoa GUyanese not indoa caribbean market to exist and or survive . In fact I do not depend on any niche ethnic market.
1. Burnham employed the same methods of handling AfroGuyanese as the slave masters did. If they were wrong then so was he. In fact he deliberately tried to down play any attempts at empowerment by AfroGuyanese prior to 1952 because he wanted to annoint himself as our Lord and Savior. He peddled the notion that we were docile until he arrived and so should show him gratitude. The notion that AfroGuyanese attempted to improve their lives before him, and would continue to do so DESPITE him, was not what he wanted us to believe. He wanted a dependent group of people who thought that they couldnt survive without him and he probably succeeded with many. Until he ran out of cash in the late 70s. And so the gravy train ended and people had to depend on themselves or starve. This is why the AfroGuyanese is relatively better off than his Trini counterpart.
Fatboy was an example of bad black leadership. Just like Mugabe who I consider to be of the same mold. Sorry I cant find anything positive to say about him.
2. Where did Guyanese have access to African culture? Please dont offer "make up" culture as peddled by Eusi and now by Eric. Africans will laugh at you. In fact any attempt by TransAtlantic blacks to engage in being pretend Africans is met with derision....not the least because in Africa they look at the Caribbean and at US based blacks and consider us to be better off than they are. They have enough problems of their own. Dressing in attire that is not your own, and looking silly while trying to adapt customs which you dont understand strikes Africans as being quite odd. The slave ship sailed and its not taking any one back.
3. There was a systematic attempt under colonialism for slaves to be divided and to not trust each other. Much has been written about this so I will not engage in senseless debate on what is obvious to all expert on that topic. Needless to say that there is NO way that a handful of white men would have survived for long in places like Guyana if there was unity. Look at what happened in the 1763 Berbice Revolt. Even as most of those slaves were born in Africa (so had their traditions intact) at the time this was a problem. The seeds of division were already being sown. Imagine generations later as Creoles who knew nothing other than slavery.
Again Burnham capitalized on this. Funny thing is so does Jagdeo.
4. If some one meets the qualifications and has teh aptitude (demonstrating this by under going confirmation) then if the Catholic priest says sorry "I am Irish and you arent so no communion for you" he is being racist. We arent talking about hiring unqualified people. If 10 blacks show up and none are qualified than none are hired and there is no racism there. And this fact is not a concern of the prospective employer either.
5. Your attitude towards those who you hire and thsoe who you do business with is what I expect. No favors for any one. Perform or get out. Being Indian doesnt give the person any advanatge if they dont perform. If you actually do this then this is what I expect. This is not what happens in Guyana though.
6. Despite having bad leadership mnay blacks persevere and succeed. Which is why I wonder why you always bring up the leadership issue. Being in a community with bad leadership doesnt give people a right to discriminate against these people. Whether its whites doing that to Indians in the USA, or Indians in 2011 doing that to blacks in Guyana. As you said the Indo community cannot hire the population so almost all must seek employment in companies owned by others. Should they tolerate racism because of this?
7. Eusi Kwayana is a constructed name. Its not a real name. Africans have many ethnicities, each having their own practises and traditions. So an AfroGuyanese might have ancestry from one or more of the Akan groups, plus, Ibo (or Yoruba) plus some Congo. Of course very few of us know anything but some vague notion that most (not all) of our ancestors came from Africa as slaves.
Which tradition should they adapt? As an African said when he saw AfroGuyanese trying to be "African" one Emancipation day, he said if they wanted to "play" African they ought to get it right. Mixing the traditions of one group with those of another is inaccurate and might even have been dangerous given enemities which existed between some groups.
It is too late for TransAtlantic blacks to play African. We only display our ignorance and in any case too much time has past. I can find any Afrocentric African American dressed in full regalia and with some "make up" name based on Swahili (which by the way is Afro Arabic, not African, but he doesnt know this). He will look MORE like an African American the more he tries to pretend he is not.
8. OK so if every black, hispanic or whatever were told to only do business with their own, even if you were better, where does that leave you. Confined to just a niche market. Clearly you made achoice not to depend on an ethnic nice for reasons best known to you....but I am sure based on pursuing profitable opportunities where ever they were and refusing to cede such becasue of race.