BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

A Mosque is a place of worship for followers of Islam. Muslims often refer to the mosque by its Arabic name, masjid. The primary purpose of the mosque is to serve as a place where Muslims can come together for prayer. Nevertheless, mosques are known around the world nowadays for their general importance to the Muslim community as well as their demonstration of Islamic architecture.

 

In this post we shall list a few beautiful Masjids from around the world, and even affix a background write up.

Original Post

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

Image

Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque is an Islamic Mosque located in Bandar Seri Begawan, the Capital of the Sultanate of Brunei. Considered as one of the most beautiful Mosques in the Asia Pacific, it is a place of worship for the Muslim community, a major landmark and a tourist attraction of Brunei.

Named after Omar Ali Saifuddien 111, the 28th Sultan of Brunei who also initiated its construction, the mosque serves as a symbol of the Islamic faith in Brunei and dominates the skyline of Bandar Seri Begawan. The building was completed in 1958 and is an example of modern Islamic Architecture.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

SULTAN OMAR ALI SAIFUDDIEN MOSQUE:

 

The mosque unites Mughal Architecture and Italian styles. The plans were done by Booty and Edwards Chartered Architects according to designs by the Italian architect Cavaliere Rudolfo Nolli, who had already for decades been working at the Gulf of Siam.

Built in an artificial Lagoon on the banks of the Brunei River at Kampong Ayer- the "village in the water", the mosque has Marble Minarets and golden domes, a courtyard and is surrounded by a large number of trees and Floral Gardens. A bridge reaches across the lagoon to Kampong Ayer in the middle of the river. Another marble bridge leads to a structure in the lagoon meant as a replica of a 16th Century Sultan Bolkiah Mahligai Barge. The barge itself was completed in 1967 to commemorate the 1,400th anniversary of Nuzul Al-Quran (coming down of the Quran) and was used to stage the Quran reading competitions.

The mosque's most recognizable feature - the main dome, is covered in pure gold. The mosque stands 52 m (171 ft) high and can be seen from virtually anywhere in Bandar Seri Begawan. The main Minaret is the mosque's tallest feature. In a unique way it mixes Renaissance and Italian Architectural style. The minaret has an elevator to the top, where a visitor can enjoy a panoramic view of the city.

The interior of the mosque is for prayer only, with features such as stained glass windows, arches, semi domes and marble columns. Nearly all the material used for the building were imported from abroad: the marble from Italy, the Granite from Shanghai, the crystal Chandeliers from England and the Carpets from Saudi Arabia from Saudi Arabia.

Courtesy: Wiki the free enclopedia

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

Masjid Raya Mosque (Tanjong Pinang, Indonesia)

 

Architectural information
Capacity30,000
Dome(s)7
Minaret(s)5

 

The mosque was designed by an Italian architect and built by the Dutch colonial administration as a token of reconciliation following their destruction of an older mosque during the Aceh Wars. Construction of the mosque commenced in 1879 and was completed in 1881. The initial mosque were smaller and consist of a single dome. Years later the mosque were renovated and expanded by constructing additional wings. The mosque survived the massive 2004 tsunami which destroyed much of the rest of the city of Banda Aceh

 

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

Masjid Raya Mosque (Tanjong Pinang, Indonesia)

 

File:Meuseujid Raya Bayturrahman.JPG

Baiturrahman Grand Mosque

The design of the mosque combines influences of European colonial and Moghul Indian Islamic architecture. The black domes are uniquely constructed from hard wood shingles combined as tiles. The mosque incorporates a few traditional Aceh decorative elements and features. Today the mosque is the famous landmark of Banda Aceh and has become the symbol of the city also represents the cultural uniqueness of the Acehnese people.

 

Originally Posted by seignet:

Wonderful BUILDINGS-all inanimate objects. The Temples of Madurai are spectacular as well.

Yes they are and there are so much history behind The Temples of Madurai, one day will if time permits will try to do a piece of Wondrous Temples of the world. 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

THE CRYSTAL MOSQUE IN KAULA TERENGGANU, MALAYSIA

 

File:Cristal Mosque in Kuala Terengganu.jpg

Crystal Mosque is one of the most inimitably designed masjids of the world which not only creates a heart capturing view of its surroundings but also shows the awesome crystal art work. It is located in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia. As it is built on a small island of Wad Man, most of its area is surrounded by water which creates a unique attraction towards it. At night, with the reflection from water, the glowing lights create a stunning scene which cannot be expressed in views. The Crystal Mosque is also counted in the list of Islamic monuments of the world.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

THE CRYSTAL MOSQUE IN KAULA TERENGGANU, MALAYSIA

 

Crystal Mosque is a mosque which is very popular with the uniqueness of the mosque and made one of the most popular tourist attractions in Malaysia. The mosque is located in the in the Islamic Heritage Park in Wan man Island.

The mosque is located in the in the Islamic Heritage Park in Wan man Island. Mosque was built between the years 2006 to 2008 and was officially opened on 8 February 2008 by 13th in Pertuan Agong, Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin of Terengganu. The mosque in lightly coat the steel, glass and crystal that is used as the main ingredient in the development of three and form a look that is truly remarkable and it’s amazing. Crystal Mosque has a capacity to accommodate more than 1,500 worshippers at one time and made one of the most beautiful Mosques in the world. This mosque is the mosque of tourism are good with interesting sites. Build the mosque to spend the funds very much at all. You come to this mosque will get carried away once excited, because you can enjoy the beauty of the mosque here, which was very good. The mosque is an awful lot of tourists from different countries to come here, to see the beauty of the mosque is a very solid foundation of all.

Crystal Mosque has become popular once in Malaysia and the tourists to see the mosque. Every day, a lot of tourists come here. Because of the beauty of the mosque is very beautiful and very stunning beauty. Hotels in the vicinity of the mosque has also brimming with tourists as the hotel here in complete with suitable facilities for your weekend getaway with Spa and massage to relax. If you want to find and eat here also there is a restaurant which is very delicious and very tasty. The mosque is very unusual and very unique, once in a while.

 

 

A man's heart is a Temple. Out of it breathes good and evil-and only God knows his intentions. Inanimate objects are only pleasant to the eyes. In the deluge of Noah days, the power of water removed all traces of the great monuments satan and his demons built. Paraphrasing from Genisis.

Originally Posted by seignet:

A man's heart is a Temple. Out of it breathes good and evil-and only God knows his intentions. Inanimate objects are only pleasant to the eyes. In the deluge of Noah days, the power of water removed all traces of the great monuments satan and his demons built. Paraphrasing from Genisis.

 

Yes I do agree Beautiful Mosque of the World are pleasing to the eyes and yet they are inanimate object and inanimate objects are evil. Even the caligraphy in gold scrolled on the walls of the mosques represents an inanimate object and yet they are pleasing to the eyes, but yet they are imanimate objects and evil, and so my writings here of inanimate objects that are all evil, but yet again I prefer to do it. Whatever is in my heart is not for man to judge, as I can be the worst of man and yet I believe that even if I do one particular iota of good then that can get me into God's Favor: I am certain that you know the story of  the 'prostitute and the thirsty dog' or the very very pious Barsisi. 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

MASJID AL-HARAM (THE HOLY MOSQUE)- SAUDI ARABIA

Al-Masjid Al-Haram‎, The Sacred Mosque or The Grand Mosque) is in the city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. It is the largest Mosque in the world and surrounds one of Islam's holiest places, the Kaaba Muslims face in the direction of the Kaaba while performing Salat. One of the Five Pillars of Islam requires every Muslim to perform the Hajj pilgrimage at least once in his or her lifetime if able to do so, includes circumanbulation of the Kaaba.

The current structure covers an area of 356,800 square metres (88.2 acres) including the outdoor and indoor praying spaces and can accommodate up to Two million worshipers during the Hajj period, one of the largest annual gatherings of people in the world. Unlike many other mosques which are segregated, men and women can worship at Al-Masjid Al-Haram together.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

MASJID AL-HARAM (THE HOLY MOSQUE) SAUDI ARABIA

 

According to Islamic tradition the very first construction of the Kaaba, the heart of Al-Masjid Al-Haram, was undertaken by Abraham. The Qur'an said that this was the first house built for humanity to worship Allah.

With the order of the God, Ibrahim and his son Ishmael found the original foundation and rebuilt the Kaaba in 2130 BCE. Hajar-Al-Aswad, the Black Stone situated on the lower side of the eastern corner of the Kaaba, is believed to be the only remnant of the original structure made by Ibraham.

Muslim belief also places the story of Ismael's mother searching for water in the general vicinity of the mosque. In the story, Hagar runs between the hills of Safa and Marwah looking for water for her infant son until God eventually reveals her the Zamzam. The "Zamzam well" and "Safa and Marwah" are structures in Al-Masjid al-Haram.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

AL MASJID AL NABAWI: SAUDI ARABIA

 

Screenshot

Al-Masjid al-Nabawī, often called the Prophet's Mosque, is a mosque built by the Prophet of Islam Muhammad (SAW) and situated in the city of Medina. It is the second holiest site in Islam (the first being the Masjid al-Haram in Mecca). It was the second mosque built in history and is now one of the largest mosque in the world. After an expansion during the reign of Al- Walid 1, it also now incorporates the site of the final resting place of Muhammad(SAW) and early Muslim leaders Abu Bakr and Umar (RA)

The site was originally adjacent to Muhammad's house; he settled there after his Hijra (emigration) to Medina in 622. He shared in the heavy work of construction. The original mosque was an open-air building. The basic plan of the building has been adopted in the building of other mosques throughout the world.

The mosque also served as a community center, a court, and a religious school. There was a raised platform for the people who taught the Quran. Subsequent Islamic rulers greatly expanded and decorated it. In 1909, it became the first place in the Arabian Peninsula to be provided with electrical lights. The mosque is under the control of the Custodian of the two Holy Mosques.

One of the most notable features of the site is the Green Dome in the south-east corner of the mosque, originally Aisha's (RA) house, where the tomb of Muhammad is located. In 1279 AD, a wooden cupola was built over the tomb which was later rebuilt and renovated multiple times in late 15th century and once in 1817. The dome was first painted green in 1837, and later became known as the Green Dome.

The mosque is located in what was traditionally the center of Medina, with many hotels and old markets nearby. It is a major pilgrimage site. Many pilgrims who perform the Hajj go on to Medina to visit the mosque and the Prophet's Tomb. The mosque is open for service 24/7, all year round.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

AL MASJID AL NABAWI: SAUDI ARABIA

 

First built

The original mosque was built by Prophet Mohammed and his companions next to the house where he settled after his journey to Medina in 622 CE. The original mosque was an open-air building (covered by palm fronds) with a raised platform for the reading of the Quran. It was a rectangular enclosure of 30 m × 35 m (98 ft × 115 ft) at a height of 2 m (6 ft 7 in) wall which was built with palm trunks and mud walls. It was accessed through three doors: Bab Rahmah (Door of Mercy) to the south, Bab Jibril (Door of Gabriel) to the west and Bab al-Nisa' (Door of the Women) to the east.The basic plan of the building has since been adopted in the building of most mosques throughout the world.

Inside, Prophet Mohammed created a shaded area to the south called the suffah and aligned the prayer space facing north towards Jerusalem. When the qibal (prayer direction) was changed to face the Kaaba in Mecca, the mosque was re-oriented to the south. The mosque also served as a community center, a court, and a religious school.

Seven years later (629 AD/7 AH), the mosque was doubled in size to accommodate the increasing number of Muslims. The area of the mosque was enlarged by 20 m × 15 m (66 ft × 49 ft) and became almost a square 50 m × 49.5 m (164 ft × 162 ft). The height increased to became 3.5 m (11 ft) and the mosque encompassed 35 columns.

The mosque remained like that during the caliphate of Abu Bakr until the caliphate of 'Umar bin al-Khattab, who enlarged the area of the mosque to 3575 m2 and built more wooden columns.

During the time of Uthman ibn Affan an arcade of stone and plaster was added to the mosque and the columns were remolded and built of stone.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

AL MASJID AL NABAWI: SAUDI ARABIA

 

THE INNER VIEW OF AL MASJID AL NABAWI: SAUDI ARABIA

 

 

When Bin Saud took Medina in 1805, his followers, the Wahhabis, demolished nearly every tomb dome in Medina in order to prevent their veneration, and the Green Dome is said to have narrowly escaped the same fate. Prophet Mohammed 's tomb was stripped of its gold and jewel ornaments, but the dome was preserved either because of an unsuccessful attempt to demolish its hardened structure, or because some time ago Ibn Abd al- Wahhab wrote that he did not wish to see the dome destroyed despite his aversion to people praying at the tomb. Similar events took place in 1925 when the Saudi Ikhwans retook—and this time managed to keep—the city. In the Wahabi interpretation of Islam, the veneration of tombs and places thought to possess supernatural powers was an offense against tawhid.

 

After the foundation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in 1932, the mosque underwent several major modifications. In 1951 King Ibn Saud (1932–1953) ordered demolitions around the mosque to make way for new wings to the east and west of the prayer hall, which consisted of concrete columns with pointed arches. Older columns were reinforced with concrete and braced with copper rings at the top. The Suleymaniyya and Majidiyya minarets were replaced by two minarets in Mamluk revival style. Two additional minarets were erected to the northeast and northwest of the mosque. A library was built along the western wall to house historic Qurans and other religious texts.

 

In 1973 Saudi King Faisal bin Abdul Aziz ordered the construction of temporary shelters to the west of the mosque to accommodate the growing number of worshippers in 1981, the old mosque was surrounded by new prayer areas on these sides, enlarging five times its size.

 

The latest renovations took place under King Fahd and have greatly increased the size of the mosque, allowing it to hold a large number of worshippers and pilgrims and adding modern comforts like air conditioning. He also installed twenty seven moving domes at the roof of Al-Masjid an-Nabawi.

 

In 2007, according to The Independent, a pamphlet, published by the Saudi Ministry of Islamic Affairs and endorsed by the grand mufti of Saudi Arabia, stated that "the green dome shall be demolished and the three graves flattened in the Prophet's Masjid".

 

The original mosque was not very large, and today the original exists only as a small portion of the larger mosque. The newer and older sections of the mosque are quite distinct. The older section has many colorful decorations and numerous small pillars.

 

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

AL MASJID AL NABAWI: SAUDI ARABIA

 

INNER VIEW OF AL MASJID AL NABAWI: SAUDI ARABIA

 

 

As it stands today, the mosque has a rectangular plan on two floors with the Ottoman prayer hall projecting to the south. The main prayer hall occupies the entire first floor. The mosque enclosure is 100 times bigger than the first mosque built by Muhammad(SAW) and can accommodate more than half a million worshippers.

 

The mosque has a flat paved roof topped with 27 sliding domes on square bases. Holes pierced into the base of each dome illuminate the interior. The roof is also used for prayer during peak times, when the domes slide out on metal tracks to shade areas of the roof, creating light wells for the prayer hall. At these times, the courtyard of the Ottoman mosque is also shaded with umbrellas affixed to freestanding columns. The roof is accessed by stairs and escalators. The paved area around the mosque is also used for prayer, equipped with umbrella tents. Sliding Domes and retractable umbrella-like canopies are designed by the German architect Mahmoud Boda Rasch and his firm SL Rasch GmbH and Buro Happold.

 

The north facade has three evenly spaced porticos, while the east, west and south facades have two. The walls are composed of a series of windows topped by pointed arches with black and white voussoirs. There are six peripheral minarets attached to the new extension, and four others frame the Ottoman structure. The mosque is lavishly decorated with polychrome marble and stones. The columns are of white marble with brass capitals supporting slightly pointed arches, built of black and white stones. The column pedestals have ventilation grills that regulate the temperature inside the prayer hall.

 

This new mosque contains the older mosque within it. The two sections can be easily distinguished: the older section has many colorful decorations and numerous small pillars, and fans have been installed in the ceiling; the new section is in gleaming white marble and is completely air-conditioned.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

AL MASJID AL NABAWI: SAUDI ARABIA

 

 

View of the Rawdah from the side

 

As per Prophet Mohammed (SAW), Rawadh is also in Heaven, the same Rawdah which is currently in Masjid -e- Nabwi. It is a small place in Masjid -e- Nabwi, floored with Green Carpet just to identify it & the entire Mosque is floored with red carpet. The Rawdah is one of the most important features of the site. It holds the tomb of Muhammad and two of his companions and first Caliphs, Abu Bakr and Umar ibn al Khattab. A fourth grave is reserved for Jesus, as it is believed that he will return and will be buried at the site. The site is covered by the Green Dome. It was constructed in 1817 C.E. during the reign of Ottoman Sultan Mahmud II and painted green in 1839 C.E. The Rawdah has two small gateways. The original pulpit was much smaller than the current one, and constructed of palm three wood, not marble. The current marble pulpit was constructed by the Ottomans

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE QUBA MOSQUE OF MEDINA

THE QUBA MOSQUE OF MEDINA

 

 

The Quba Mosque (Quba' Masjid or Masjid al-Quba,) in the outlying environs of Medina in Saudi Arabia, is the oldest mosque in the world. Its first stones were positioned by the Islamic prophet Muhammad (SAW) as soon as he arrived on his emigration from the city of Mecca to Medina and the mosque was completed by his companions. Muhammad spent more than 20 nights in this mosque (after migrating) praying qasr (a short prayer) while waiting for Ali (RA) whose house was behind this mosque.

 

According to Islamic tradition, offering two rakaʿāt of nafl prayers in the Quba Mosque is equal to performing one Umrah.

 

Muhammad used to go there, riding or on foot, every Saturday and offer a two rak'ah prayer. He advised others to do the same, saying, "Whoever makes ablutions at home and then goes and prays in the Mosque of Quba, he will have a reward like that of an 'Umrah." This hadith is reported by Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Al Nasa'l, Ibn Majah and Hakim al Nashaburi.

 

 

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE QUBA MOSQUE OF MEDINA

 

File:MQuba 091109-0146.jpg

When Abdel-Waleed El Wakil was commissioned, in the 20th century, to conceive a larger mosque, he intended to incorporate the old structure into his design. But the old mosque was torn down and replaced with a new one.

The new mosque consists of a rectangular prayer hall raised on a second storey platform. The prayer hall connects to a cluster containing:

  • residential areas,
  • offices,
  • ablution facilities,
  • shops, and
  • a library

Six additional entrances are dispersed on the northern, eastern and western façades. Four minarets mark the corners of the prayer hall. The minarets rest on square bases, have octagonal shafts which take on a circular shape as they reach the top.

 

The prayer hall is arranged around a central courtyard, characterised by six large domes resting on clustered columns. A portico, which is two bays in depth, borders the courtyard on the east and west, while a one-bayed portico borders it on the north, and separates it from the women's prayer area.

The women's prayer area, which is surrounded by a screen, is divided into two parts as a passageway connects the northern entrance with the courtyard.

When Quba Mosque was rebuilt in 1986, the Medina architecture was retained - ribbed white domes, and basalt facing and modest exterior - qualities that recalls Madina's simplicity. The courtyard, is flagged with black, red and white marble. It is screened overhead by day from the scorching heat with shades. arabesque latticework filters the light of the palm groves outside. Elements of the new building include work by the Egyptian architect Abdel-Wahed El-Wakil and the Stuttgart tensile architect Mahmoud Bodo Rasch, a student of Frei Otto.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE GRAND MOSQUE OF KUWAIT CITY

 

THE GRAND MOSQUE OF KUWAIT CITY

 

The Grand Mosque is the largest and the official Mosque in the country of Kuwait. Its area spans 45,000 square metres (480,000 sq ft), out of which the building itself covers 20,000 square metres (220,000 sq ft). The main prayer hall is 72 metres (236 ft) wide on all sides, has 21 teakwood doors, and has lighting provided by 144 windows. The dome of the mosque is 26 metres (85 ft) in diameter and 43 metres (141 ft) high, and is decorated with the Asma al-hosna, the 99 names of God. The mosque can accommodate up to 10,000 men in the main prayer hall, and up to 950 women in the separate hall for women. The mosque also contains a 350 square metres (3,800 sq ft) library of Islamic reference books and documents. To accommodate the large number of vehicles belonging to worshippers, the mosque also contains a 5-level car park underneath the eastern courtyard which can hold up to 550 cars. Construction on the mosque started in1979, and the mosque was completed in 1986. first of Shawwal in 1407, or Eid ul-Fitr. The mosque's minaret, located at the northwest corner, resembles Andalusian architecture

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

KING ZAYED GRAND MOSQUE OF ABU DHABI

 

Screenshot

 

Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is located in ABU DHABI, the capital city of the UNITED ARAB EMIRATES and is considered to be the key for worship in the country.

 

Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque was initiated by the late President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), HH SHEIKH ZAYED BIN SULTAN AL NAHYAN, who wanted to establish a structure which unites the cultural diversity of Islamic world, the historical and modern values of architecture and art. His final resting place is located on the grounds beside the same mosque. The mosque was constructed from 1996 to 2007. It is the largest mosque in the United Arab Emirates and the eighth largest mosque in the world. The mosque site is equivalent to the size five football fields approximately.

 

As the country's grand mosque, it is the key place of worship for FRIDAY GATHERING(JUMAAH) and EID PRAYERS. During Eid it can be visited by more than 40,000 people.

 

Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center (SZGMC) offices are located in the east minarets. SZGMC manages the day to day operations, as a place of worship and Friday gathering and also a center of learning and discovery through its educational cultural activities and visitor programs.

 

The library, located in the north/east minaret, serves the community with classic books and publications addressing a range of Islamic subjects: sciences, civilization, calligraphy, the arts, coins and includes some rare publications dating back more than 200 years. In reflection of the diversity of the Islamic world and the United Arab Emirates, the collection comprises material in a broad range of languages including Arabic, English, French, Italian, Spanish, German and Korean

 

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

KING ZAYED GRAND MOSQUE OF ABU DHABI

 

 

File:Interior of Main Hall in Sheik Zayed Mosque.jpg

Interior of the Main Prayer Hall in Sheikh Zayed Mosque

 

The mosque is large enough to accommodate over 40,000 worshippers. The main prayer hall can accommodate over 7,000 worshipers. There are two smaller prayer halls, with a 1,500-capacity each, one of which is the female prayer hall.

There are four minarets on the four corners of the courtyard which rise about 107 m (351 ft) in height. The courtyard, with its floral design, measures about 17,000 m2 (180,000 sq ft),and is considered to be the largest example of marble mosaic in the world.

 

The design of the Sheikh Zayed Mosque has been inspired by Persian, Mughal, and Moorish mosque architecture, particularly the Badshahi Mosque in Lahore Pakistan and the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, Morocco being direct influences. The dome layout and floorplan of the mosque was inspired by the Badshahi Mosque and the architecture was inspired by Persian, Mughal and Moorish design. Its archways are quintessentially Moorish and its minarets classically Arab. The design of the mosque can be best described as a fusion of Arab, Persian, Mughal and Moorish architecture

 

 

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

KING ZAYED GRAND MOSQUE OF ABU DHABI

 

Water mirror and columns

 

In 2013, US-based singer Rihanna received negative criticism for taking photographs, with the Mosque in the background, during a private visit. During the incident, she was reported to have posed in a manner deemed offensive and provocative. Staff asked her to leave following the incident

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE CORDOBA MOSQUE: SPAIN

 

Screenshot

 

THE CORDOBA MOSQUE: SPAIN

 

The Mosque–Cathedral of Córdoba (Spanish: Mezquita–catedral de Córdoba, Mezquita de Córdoba), also called the Mezquita and the Great Mosque of Córdoba, or the Cathedral of the Assumption of Our Lady is a medieval Islamic mosque that was converted into a Catholic Christian cathedral in the Spanish city of Córdoba, Andalusia. The mosque is regarded as the one of the most accomplished monuments of Moorish architecture. Since the early 2000s (decade), Spanish Muslims have lobbied the Roman Catholic Church to allow them to pray in the cathedral. The Muslim campaign has been rejected on multiple occasions, by both Spanish Catholic authorities, and the Vatican.

 

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE CORDOBA MOSQUE: SPAIN

 

Origins

After the Islamic conquest of the Visigothic Kingdom, the building was divided between the Muslims and Christians. When the exiled Umayyad prince Abd al-Rahman I escaped to Spain and defeated the governor of Al-Andalus, Yusuf al-Fihri, he found the Cordovese split up into various sects, such as the Gnostics, Priscillianists, Donatists, and Luciferians. His ambition was to erect a temple, which would rival in magnificence those of Baghdad, Jerusalem, and Damascus, and approach in sanctity the fame of Mecca. The Christian church in Cordoba stood upon the site of the former Roman religious edifice dedicated to Janus, and upon this site, Abd al-Rahman desired to raise his great mosque. He honourably offered to buy the church and the plot from the conquered people. The negotiations of purchase were placed in the hands of the Sultan's favourite secretary, Umeya Ibn Yezid. Under the terms of transference, the Cordovese were permitted to reconstruct the edifice formerly dedicated to St. Faustus, St. Januarius, and St. Marcellus, three martyrs whom they deeply revered.

 

He allowed the Christians to rebuild their ruined churches, and purchased the Christian half of the church of St. Vincent.

 

The Khalif was rich. Besides the treasure wrested from the Goths during the wars, he extracted a tithe upon the produce of the land and on manufactures. A tax was also laid upon every Christian and Jew in Andalusia. Beyond this, the Moorish kings were greatly enriched by the acquisition of the valuable mines of Spain, the quarries of marble, and other sources of wealth. From these revenues Abd-erRahman and his successors, Hisham, Abd-erRahman II., the greatest of the dynasty and the third of the line—and lastly, the extravagant Almanzor—lavished heavy sums upon the designing, construction, and costly adornment of the Mosque. Abd al-Rahman I and his descendants reworked it over two centuries to fashion it as a mosque, starting in 784. Additionally, Abd al-Rahman I used the mosque (originally called Aljama Mosque) as an adjunct to his palace and named it to honour his wife. Traditionally, the mihrab, or apse of a mosque faces in the direction of Mecca; by facing the mihrab, worshipers pray towards Mecca. Mecca is east-southeast of the mosque, but the mihrab points south.

 

The attitude of Abd-er-Rahman I towards the Christian population of Cordova was clement and conciliatory. The work of building the resplendent Mezquita employed thousands of artisans and labourers. This vast undertaking led to the development of all the resources of the district. Durable stone and beautifully veined marbles were quarried from the Sierra Morena and the surrounding regions of the city. Metals of various kinds were dug from the soil, and factories sprang up in Cordova amid the stir and bustle of an awakened industrial energy. A famous Syrian architect made the plans for the Mosque. Leaving his suburban dwelling, the Khalif came to reside in the city, so that he might personally superintend the operations, and offer proposals for the improvement of the designs. Abd-er-Rahman moved about among the workers, directing them during several hours of every day.

 

The mosque underwent numerous subsequent changes: Abd al-Rahman II ordered a new minaret, while Al-Hakam II, in 961, enlarged the building and enriched the Mihrab. The last of the reforms was carried out by Al-Mansur Ibn Abi Aamir in 987. It was connected to the Caliph's palace by a raised walk-way, mosques within the palaces being the tradition for previous Islamic rulers - with Christian Kings following suit and building their palaces adjacent to churches. The Mezquita reached its current dimensions in 987 with the completion of the outer naves and courtyard.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE CORDOBA MOSQUE: SPAIN

 

The first Muslims to arrive in Cordoba shared the San Vincent Visigoth church with their Christian neighbours. This quickly proved to be insufficient to their needs and Abd ar-Rahman I (758-788) purchased the Christian part of the site. The church was razed around the year 780 and the construction of a mosque began.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE CORDOBA MOSQUE: SPAIN

 

"Mesquita Cordoba - view of pillars"

Marble pillars and stone were reused from former Roman and Visigothic buildings. The Mosque quickly became famous for its architectural innovation. Namely, the laying of two tiers of arches, one on top of the other, that gave added height and space

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

ABDUL RAHMAN MOSQUE: KABUL AFGHANISTAN

 

ABDUL RAHMAN MOSQUE: KABUL AFGHANISTAN

 

The Hajji Abdul Rahman Mosque, also known as the Grand Mosque of Kabul, is one of the largest Mosques in Afghanistan. It is located in one of Kabul's commercial areas called Deh Afghanan, near the Pashtunistan Square and across from the once popular Plaza Hotel. The building is a three story, which is built on 3.5 acres of land. One floor of the building is dedicated to women only.

 

The mosque is named after an influential Afghan businessman named Hajji Abdul Rahman who has died but his sons continued the project. Construction of the mosque began in 2001 by Hajji Abdur Rahman but was delayed for several years due to red tape. The mosque has the capacity to serve 10,000 people at a time. There is also a madrasa inside the mosque and a library containing 150,000 books.

 

The major work on the mosque was completed in late 2009 but the official inauguration took place in July 2012 in which Afghan President Hamid Karzai and many other high-ranking officials attended. The building of the mosque is said to have been initially designed by Afghan architect Mir Hafizullah Hashimi.

 





 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:         PAGE 2

 

FRIDAY MOSQUE OF HERAT: AFGHANISTAN

 

THE JAMA MASJID OF HERAT AFGHANISTAN

 

The Jama Masjid of Herat, also known as the Masjid-i Jami' of Herat, and the Great Mosque of Herat is a mosque in the city of Herat, in the HERAT PROVINCE of north-western AFGHANISTAN. It was built by Ghurids, the famous Sultan Ghayas-ud-Din Ghori, who laid its foundation in 1200 AD, and later extended by several rulers as Herat changed rulers down the centuries from the TIMURIDS, to the SAFAVIDS, to the MUGHALS and the UZBEKS, all of whom supported the mosque. Though many of the glazed tiles have been replaced during subsequent periods, the Great Mosque in Herat was given its present form during the closing years of the fifteenth century.

Apart from numerous small neighborhood mosques for daily prayer, most communities in the Islamic world have a larger mosque, a Congregational Mosque for Friday services with a sermon. The Jama Masjid was not always the largest mosque in Herat; a much larger complex the Mosque and Madressa of Gawharshad, also built by the Timurids, was located in the northern part of the city. However, those architectural monuments were dynamited by officers of the British Indian Army in 1885, to prevent its use as a fortress if a Russian army tried to invade India.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:         

 

FRIDAY MOSQUE OF HERAT: AFGHANISTAN

 

THE JAMA MASJID OF HERAT AFGHANISTAN

 

History

The Masjid-i Jami of Herat, the city's first congregational mosque, was built on the site of two smaller Zorastrian fire temples that were destroyed by earthquake and fire. A mosque was begun by the Ghurid ruler Ghiyas ad Din Ghori in 1200 (597 AH), and, after his death, the building was continued by his brother and successor Muhammad of Ghor. This is confirmed both by an inscription on the eastern Ghurid portal uncovered in 1964 during a restoration, and by the sixteenth century Timurid historian Khwandamir in his Khulasat al-Akhbar.

 

In 1221, Genghis Khan conquered the province, and along with much of Herat, the small building fell into ruin. It wasn't until after 1245, under Shams al-Din Kart that any rebuilding programs were undertaken, and construction on the mosque was not started until 1306. However a devastating earthquake in 1364 left the building almost completely destroyed, although some attempt was made to rebuild it. After 1397, the Timurid rulers redirected Herat's growth towards the northern part of the city. This suburbanization and the building of a new congregational mosque in Gawhar Shad's Musalla marked the end of the Masjid-i Jami's patronage by a monarchy. Replacement of the small ruined mosque was done by construction of an entirely new building with surrounding gardens, which was completed by Jalal al-Din Firuzshah, one of the most prominent emirs under Shah Rukh (1405–1444). The decorations alone took over five years to complete, as the emir brought in workers from all over the empire. The mosque was later given a final renovation under the Mughal Empire, when Prince Khurram (Shah Jahan) was fighting for control of the region against the Uzbek tribes

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:  

 

KING FAISAL MOSQUE OF PAKISTAN

 

KING FAISAL MOSQUE OF PAKISTAN

 

The Faisal Mosque is the largest Mosque in Pakistan, located in the national capital city of Islamabad. Completed in 1986, it was designed by Turkish Architect Vedat Dalokay to be shaped like a desert Bedouin's tent.

It is situated at the north end of Faisal Avenue, putting it at the northernmost end of the city and at the foot of Margalla Hills, the westernmost foothills of the Himalayas. It is located on an elevated area of land against a picturesque backdrop of the Margalla Hills. This enviable location represents the mosque's great importance and allows it to be seen from miles around day and night.

The Faisal Mosque is conceived as the National Mosque of Pakistan and named after the late King Faisal bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia, who supported and financed the project.

The largest mosque in South Asia, the Faisal Mosque was the largest mosque in the world from 1986 until 1993, when it was overtaken in size by the newly completed Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca Morocco. Subsequent expansions of the Masjid al Haram (Grand Mosque) of Mecca and the Al Masjid al Nabawi (Prophet's Mosque) in Medina, Saudi Arabia, during the 1990s relegated Faisal Mosque to fourth place in terms of size.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE GRAND MOSQUE OF BAHRAIN

 

THE AL FATEH MOSQUE, AKA THE AL FATEH GRAND MOSQUE OR THE AL FATEH CENTRE OF BAHRAIN

 

The Al-Fateh Mosque (also known as Al-Fateh Islamic Center & Al Fateh Grand MosqueMasjid al-Fatih is one of the largest mosques in the world, encompassing 6,500 square meters and having the capacity to accommodate over 7,000 worshippers at a time. The mosque was built by the late Sheikh Isa ibn Salman Al Khalifa in 1987 and was named after Ahmed Al Fateh, the conqueror of Bahrain. In 2006, Al-Fateh became the site of the National Library of Bahrain.

 

The mosque is the largest place of worship in Bahrain. It is located next to the King Faisal Highway in Juffair, which is a town located in the capital city of Manama. The huge dome built on top of the Al-Fatih Mosque is constructed entirely of fibreglass. Weighing over (60,000 kg), the dome is currently the world's largest fiberglass dome. The marble used in the floors is Italian and the chandelier is from Austria. The doors are made of teak wood from India. Throughout the mosque are calligraphy writings in a very old type of style called Kufic.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE MOSQUE OF DEARBORN MICHIGAN USA

 

THE MOSQUE OF DEARBORN MICHIGAN USA

 

The Islamic Center of America is a Shia mosque located in Dearborn Michigan. Although the institution dates back to 1964, the new mosque opened in 2005. It is the largest mosque in North America and the oldest Shia mosque in the United States. With its large Shia Arab population (consisting mostly of Lebanese), Dearborn is often called the "heart of Shiism" in the United States.

 

The Islamic Center of America is located at 19500 Ford Road in Dearborn. The institution was founded in 1963 by Muhammad Jawad Chitri, who remained its director until his death in 1994. The current Imam is Iraqi-born Sayed Hassan Al Qazwini.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE MOSQUE OF BOCA RATON FLORIDA USA

 

File:Mosque in Boca Raton, FL.jpg

Last Updated: 2013-10-19
Address:
Assalam Center 1499 n.w 4th ave Boca Raton FL 33433, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA 
Phone:561-391-8233
Email:assalamcenter@aol.com
URL:www.assalamcenter.org
Directions:hwy 95 to glades rd east on glades rd to n.w 4th ave north on 4th ave you will see the center
General Information:Assalam Center is an Islamic educational and cultural center that caters to the Muslim community of Boca Raton and neighboring cities. It is open to all Muslims regardless of their schools of thought, ethnic background, or nationalities.
The primary purpose of the center is to protect and preserve the Muslim identity and culture of the children and youth, and assisting their families in that endeavor, hence, preparing them to be model citizens.
The Center is open for all 5 daily prayers as well as Friday Prayer.
Sunday Islamic School runs from 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
Halal lunch is served at noon on Sunday and after Friday Prayer.
Regular family dinners are organized on most Saturday evenings.
Youth from 15 to 25 years old meet most Thursdays after Maghrib prayers to exchange thoughts on Islamic issues.
 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

ISLAMIC CULTURAL CENTER OF NEW YORK

 

File:Islamic Cultural Center E96 jeh.JPG

Looking north at the Islamic Cultural Center on East en:96th Street (Manhattan) on a sunny midday June 25, 2008  Category:Upper East Side


The Islamic Cultural Center of New York is a Mosque and Islamic Cultural Center in the Borough of Manhattan in New York City USA. It is located at 1711 Third Avenue, between East 96th and 97th Streets. The Islamic Cultural Center was the first mosque built in New York City. The mosque's older dwelling in a townhouse at 1 Riverside Drive, is still in continual prayer use as a satellite location.

 

Plans for a large Islamic center in New York were originally drawn up in the late 1960s as the first cultural center occupied a location at 1 Riverside Drive by 72nd street. The first Islamic Center started functioning on a small scale from a modest townhouse at that address. However, the board of trustees later aspired to build a new larger center in a way suiting its prestigious position in the community, and to be one of the landmarks of New York City. Later, an overall project comprising a mosque, a school, a library, a museum, and a lecture hall, were planned out. After years of delays which included raising funds from Muslim countries, a prolonged process of relocating tenants, and the eventual demolition of the buildings on the site; construction of the Islamic Cultural Center began in October 1984. Construction of the associated mosque began on May 28, 1987, the day which corresponded to the end of Ramadan. The cornerstone of the minaret was laid on September 26, 1988.

Construction was delayed during the Iraqi Invasion of Kuwait and the First Gulf War. The mosque opened on April 15, 1991, for the feast of Eid ul Fitr. In the end, more than 46 Muslim Countries made contributions toward the $17 million construction cost of the mosque.

 

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

SULTAN AHMED MOSQUE IN ISTANBUL: TURKEY

 

SULTAN AHMED MOSQUE (THE BLUE MOSQUE) IN ISTANBUL: TURKEY

 

 

The Sultan Ahmed Mosque is a historic mosque in Instanbul. The mosque is popularly known as the Blue Mosque for the blue tiles adorning the walls of its interior.

 

It was built from 1609 to 1616, during the rule of Ahmed I. Its Külliye contains a tomb of the founder, a Madarsah and a hospice. The Sultan Ahmed Mosque is still popularly used as a mosque.

 

After the Peace of Zsitvatorok and the unfavorable result of the war with Persia, Sultan Ahmet the First decided to build a big mosque in Istanbul to calm God. It would be the first imperial mosque for more than forty years. While his predecessors had paid for their mosques with their spoil of war, Ahmet the First had to remove the funds of the Treasury, because he had not gained remarkable victories. It caused the anger of oulémas, the Muslim jurists. The mosque must be built on the site of the palace of the Byzantine emperors, in front of the basilica Ayasofya (at that time, the mosque the most worshipped in Istanbul) and the racecourse, a site of a big symbolic meaning. Big parts of the south shore of the mosque rest on the foundations, the vaults of the old Grand Palace

 

The Sultan Ahmed Mosque has one main dome, six minarets, and eight secondary domes. The design is the culmination of two centuries of both Ottoman mosque development. It incorporates some Byzantine elements of the neighboring Hagia Sophia with traditional Islamic architecture and is considered to be the last great mosque of the classical period. The architect, Sedefkâr Mehmed Ağa, synthesized the ideas of his master Sinan, aiming for overwhelming size, majesty and splendour.

 

Capacity 10,000

 

 

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

AUBURN GALLIPOLI MOSQUE: SYDNEY AUSTRALLIA

 

Gallipoli Mosque | Auburn Gallipoli Mosque | Gallipoli Mosque in Auburn, Sydney, Australia | Images for Auburn Gallipoli Mosque australia | Sydney - City and Suburbs: Auburn, Gallipoli Mosque | Auburn Gallipoli Mosque in Auburn, New South Wales | auburn gallipoli mosque pictures | Open Day at the Auburn Gallipoli Mosque | Auburn Gallipoli Mosque wallpaper

AUBURN GALLIPOLI MOSQUE: SYDNEY AUSTRALLIA

 

 

Islam in Australia is a minority religious group. According to the 2011 census, 476,291 people, or 2.2% of the total Australian population were Muslims. This made Islam the fourth largest religious grouping, after all forms of Christianity (64%), No Religion (22.9%) and Buddhism (2.5%). Demographers attribute Muslim community growth trends during the most recent census period to relatively high birth rates, and recent immigration patterns.

 

While the Australian Muslim community is defined largely by religious belonging, the Muslim community is fragmented further by being the most racially, ethnically, culturally and linguisticall diverse religious grouping in Australia, with members from every ethnic and racial background, including Aboriginal and Anglo Celtic Austraiian Muslims. Members of the Australian Muslim community thus also espouse parallel non-religious ethnic identities with related non-Muslim counterparts, either within Australia or abroad

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

SUNSHINE MOSQUE OF VICTORIA: AUSTRALIA

 

THE SUNSHINE MOSQUE OF VICTORIA AUSTRALIA

 

The Cyprus Turkish Islamic Community of Victoria, more commonly known as the Sunshine Mosque, is an Ottoman/Turkish-style mosque in Sunshine, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. The Mosque contains 17 domes, a minaret, and a courtyard.

 

In 1985, the Turkish Cypriot community in Melbourne saw the potential to build a mosque on a vacant block on Ballarat Road in Sunshine, Melbourne. Three members of the Cyprus Turkish Islamic Society offered their homes as guarantors to the Bank and became the proprietors of the lot for $191,000. Construction of the Turkish Cypriot Mosque began in 1992. The Mosque was designed to mirror the Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey. According to a recent calculation by the committee of the Cyprus Turkish Islamic Society, the total expenditure of the Mosque exceeds $2,500,000.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

UMAR MOSQUE IN AUKLAND NEW ZEALAND

 

umar mosque in auckland | images for umar mosque in auckland | wallpaper of umar mosque in auckland | photo of umar mosque in auckland | picture of umar mosque in auckland | Masjid Umar - Mosques in Auckland - New Zealand | Masjid e Umar

On the 26 June 1996, the agreement to purchase the property at 185 Stoddard Road, Mt. Roskill was signed amid a lot of criticism from some members of the community that the property was far too large for our needs and very expensive. This property was purchased at an auction for $1.5 million. The current valuation is over $4 million including the adjoining properties purchased over this period.

Masjid-e-Umar has also drawn people to live in Mt. Roskill. Mt. Roskill has the highest concentration of Muslims in New Zealand today. Real estate agents advertise properties in the Mt. Roskill area with the distinct words, “close to or within waking distance of the mosque.” Numerous convenient stores, dairies, shops, supermarkets and a variety of retailers have sprung up here to serve the needs of its Muslim community.

There is a strong nostalgia during salaat times especially during the Jummah congregational prayer of the atmosphere back home where people would stream to the masjid from their homes and shops to observe their prayers. Over a thousand would attend the Jummah. The attendance at Eid prayer would be well over 1500.

 

There are 250 children benefiting from Islamic education imparted by ten teachers in the boys and girls madressa (religious classes) housed in this centre. About 20 hofaz (memorised the entire Qur’an) have graduated from this institute.

 

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE PONSONBY MOSQUE: AUCKLAND NEW ZEALAND

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND: The Ponsonby Mosque on in Ponsonby, Auckland, was built in the 1970s. Islam first came to New Zealand in the 1870s with the arrival of Muslim Chinese gold prospectors. Later waves of Muslim immigrants came from India, Eastern Europe and Fiji.
AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND: The Ponsonby Mosque on in Ponsonby, Auckland, was built in the 1970s. Islam first came to New Zealand in the 1870s with the arrival of Muslim Chinese gold prospectors. Later waves of Muslim immigrants came from India, Eastern Europe and Fiji.

 

 In 1959 it purchased a house in Ponsonby, central Auckland, and converted it into the first Islamic Centre in the country. In 1960 the NZMA invited Moulana Said Musa Patel from the Gujarat to become New Zealand's first Imam. In 1967 this house was sold and another bought; in 1972 this too was sold and another acquired at 17 Vermont Street, Ponsonby. In 1979 the house on this site was removed and construction work began to build New Zealand's first real Mosque. Also in 1979 the NZMA was a founding constituent member of the Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand (FIANZ), the national Muslim organisation.

Former presidents of the NZMA include Kosovo-born Mazhar Krasnigi (1975 and 1987–88) and Nazmi Mehmeti from the Republic of Macedonia (1963). The longest serving Executive Committee member between 1956 and 1981 was Hajji Avdo Musovich (1919–2001), originally from Montenegro. The current president of the Association is Imtiaz Ali and the current Secretary is Feroze Ali (no relation).

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

QOL SHARIF MOSQUE OF KAZAN: RUSSIA

 

Kul Sharif Mosque in Kazan - Russia

QOL SHARIF MOSQUE OF KAZAN: RUSSIA

 

The Qolşärif Mosque, also spelled Qol Sharif, Qol Sherif and Kol Sharif via the Tatar Колшәриф мәчете, Qolşärif mäçete, and Kul Sharif via the Russian мечеть Кул-Шариф, mechet Kul-Sharif) located in Kazan Kremlin, was reputed to be – at the time of its construction — the largest mosque in Russia, and in Europe outside of Istanbul.

 

Originally, the mosque was built in the Kazna Kremlin  in the 16th century. It was named after Qolsharif, who served there. Qolşärif died with his numerous students while defending Kazan from Russian forces in 1552. It is believed that the building featured minarets, both in the form of cupolas and tents. Its design was traditional for Volga Bulgarita, although elements of early Renaissance and Ottoman architecture could have been used as well. In 1552, during the storming of Kazan it was destroyed by Ivan The Terrible.

Tatar scholars speculate as to whether some elements of Qolşärif Mosque can be seen in Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow (8 minarets, a central cupola, not typical for Russian architecture). Since 1996 the mosque has been rebuilt in Kazan Kremlin, although its look is decisively modern. Its inauguration on July 24, 2005 marked the beginning of celebrations dedicated to the Millennium of Kazan. It can accommodate 6,000 worshipers.

Several countries contributed to the fund that was set up to build Qolşärif Mosque, namely Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates. Qolşärif is considered to be one of the most important symbols of Tatar aspirations. Nowadays the mosque predominantly serves as a museum of Islam. At the same time during the major Muslim celebrations thousands of people gather there to pray.

The Qolşärif complex was envisioned to be an important cornerstone of Kazan's architectural landscape. Besides the main mosque building it includes a library, publishing house and Imam's office.

 

It is indeed a very Beautiful Masjid

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

QOL SHARIF MOSQUE OF KAZAN KREMLIN: RUSSIA

 

The Qolşärif Mosque, also spelled Qol Sharif,  located in Kazan Kremlin, was reputed to be at the time of its construction the largest mosque in Russia, and in Europe outside of Istanbul. Originally, the mosque was built in the Kazan Kremlin in the 16th century. It was named after Qolşärif, who served there. Qolşärif died with his numerous students while defending Kazan from Russian forces in 1552. It is believed that the building featured minarets, both in the form of cupolas and tents. Its design was traditional for Volga Bulgaria, although elements of early Renaissance and Ottoman architecture could have been used as well. In 1552, during the storming of Kazan it was destroyed by Ivan The Terrible. Tatar scholars speculate as to whether some elements of Qolşärif Mosque can be seen in Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow 8 minarets, a central cupola, not typical for Russian architecture.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

WHITE MASJID OF BULGAR KAZAN: RUSSIA

 

Images for white mosque in kazan | Images for white mosque in bolgar | White Mosque Opens During Pilgrimage to Bolgar - オーガニック | Opening of White mosque and madrassas complex in Bolgar, Volga | wallpaper of white mosque in bolgar | wallpaper of white mosque in kazan | photo of white mosque in bolgar | photo of white mosque in kazan | picture of white mosque in bolgar

The White Mosque was officially opened on 10 June 2012 with participation of a wide public within the framework of the Bolgar Forum “Izge Bolgar Jiyeny”.

 

The ensemble of the White Mosque (Ak Mechet), which was erected by design of architect Sergey Shakurov, includes the buildings of a Muslim temple, a residence of the mufty, and a madrasah, which encircle the prayer square, musallah, with a fountain in its centre and encircled by an arcade of 88 snow-white columns. Owing to the open arcade, visitors do not lose visual contact with nature and archaeological excavations of the ancient Bolgar.

 

The mosque strikes with its geometric ornaments, carved decoration, elegance of interiors, and its overall stylistics. The area of the prayer hall is 180 sq. m. Two minarets of the mosque, 46.5 metres high, which were made, by proposal of Mintimer Shaimiev, the First President of Tatarstan, in the style of the minarets of the Mosque of the Prophet located in Medina, the famous place of pilgrimage of the Muslims of the world, enframe the main building of the sanctuary that is topped by the cupola with diameter of 10 metres, height of 17 metres in its interior measurement and decorated with traditional decorative elements.

 

One thousand and two hundred tonnes of marble were used for its construction. The white colour of the mosque stands for peace and purity.

 

A lake was created on the square, reflected in which is the whole White Mosque.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:        

 

AKHMAD KADYROV MOSQUE: GROZNY CHECHNYA

 

File:Akhmad Kadyrov Mosque Grozny 2008.jpg

The Akhmad Kadyrov Mosque located in Grozny, the capital of Chechnya. It is the largest mosques in Russia and is officially known as the "The Heart of Chechnya" 

The mosque is named after Akhmad Kadyrov who commissioned its construction from the mayor of Konya. The mosque design with a set of 62-metre (203 ft)-tall minarets is based on the Blue Mosque in Istanbul.

On October 16, 2008, the mosque was officially opened in a ceremony in which Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov spoke and was with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. In this mosque, ten thousand Muslims can pray at a time.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

    

AL RAHMAN MOSQUE: ALEPPO: SYRIA


AR RAHMAN MOSQUE: ALEPPO: SYRIA

 

Ar-Rahman Mosque is a contemporary mosque in Aleppo, Syria, located on King Faisal Street. It was opened in 1978 and features a combined style of the early Umayyad architecture and modern mosques. It has a large central dome surrounded with 2 high and 4 shorter rectangular minarets. The external walls of the mosque are decorated with stones in the form of traditional Quran pages, inscribed with some verses from the Sura Ar Rahman.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

   

THE GREAT MOSQUE: ALEPPO: SYRIA


The Great Mosque of Aleppo or the Umayyad Mosque of Aleppo is the largest and one of the oldest mosques in the city of Aleppo, Syria. It is located in al-Jalloum district of the Ancient City of Aleppo, a World Heritage Site, near the entrance to al Madina Souq. The mosque is purportedly home to the remains of Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist. It was built in the beginning of the 8th century. However, the current building dates back to the 11th through 14th centuries. The minaret was built in 1090, and was destroyed during fighting in the Syrian civil war in April 2013.

 

The site of the Great Mosque was once the agora of the Hellinistic period, which later became the garden for the Cathedral of Saint Helena during the Christian era of Roman rule in Syria.

The mosque was built on confiscated land that formerly served as the Cathedral cemetery. According to later traditions, the construction of the earliest mosque on the site was commenced by the Ummayad caliph Al Walid I in 715 and was finished by his successor Sulayman ibn Abd al-Malik in 717. Architectural historian K.A.C. Creswell attributes its construction solely to the latter, quoting 13th century Aleppine historian Ibn al Adim who wrote Sulayman's intent was "to make it equal to the work of his brother al-Walid in the Great Mosque at Damascus." Another tradition claims al-Walid founded the mosque using materials from the so-called "Church of Cyrrus."

However, architectural historian Jere L. Bacharach writes that the most likely patron of the mosque was Maslamah ibn Abd al Malik, a brother of al-Walid and Sulayman who served as the governor of the local province (JundQinnasrin) sometime prior to 710 until at least the early period of Sulayman's rule. Accordingly, this would explain the belief that the mosque's construction took place during the reign of both caliphs. Moreover, Maslamah's governorship of Qinnasrin was largely ignored by the early Arabic historians, who focused their attention on his campaigns against the Byzantine Empire and the Armenians, and his governorship over the provinces of Iraq, Iranian Azerbaijan, Upper Mesopotamia and armenia. Bacharach further states that Maslamah's commissioning of a large congregational mosque in Aleppo, a major base from which to attack the Byzantines, would have "been appropriate, if not necessary."

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE NUR ASTANA MOSQUE IN KAZAKHSTAN

 

THE NUR ASTANA MOSQUE IN KAZAKHSTAN

 

The Nur-Astana Mosque is a mosque located in the city of Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan. It is the largest mosque of Kazakhstan and the biggest mosque in Central Asia. The 40-meter (131-foot) height symbolizes the age of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) of when he received the revelations, and the height of the minarets are 63 meters (207 foot), the age Muhammad was when he died.

 

The mosque is located at the left riverbank in the city of Astana, construction first started in March 2005. The mosque was a gift in accordance with the agreement of the Kazakhstan President, Nursultan Nazarbayey and the Emir of Qatar, Hamad bin Khalifa. It has a capacity of 5,000 worshippers inside the mosque, including 2,000 for worshippers outside the mosque. The structure is made of glass, concrete, granite and alucobond measures.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE BLUE MOSQUE OF MALAYSIA:

 

Officially known as the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz  Mosque, this is the county of Malaysia largest Mosque. Most famous for its iconic its Blue and Silver Dome. The Mosque has a minaret at each corner. The mosque is filled with beautiful calligraphy work and carvings of Quranic Verses. Because of its Blue Stained Glass Windows, the mosque has a peaceful blueish ambiance on sunny days.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE BLUE MOSQUE OF MALAYSIA:

 

 Masjid Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz ShahMasjid Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah: It is regarded as one of the ten most beautiful mosque of Malaysia. The mosque is a holy place of superlatives that can accommodate about 24,000 worshippers at any one given time.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE BLUE MOSQUE OF MALAYSIA:

 

The Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque (Malay: Masjid Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz) is the state mosque of Selangor, Malaysia. It is located in Shah Alam. It is the country's largest mosque and also the second largest mosque in Southeast Asia after Istiglal Mosque Jakarta in Indonesia. Its most distinguishing feature is its large blue and silver dome. The mosque has four minarets, one erected at each of the corners.

 

The mosque was commissioned by the late Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz, when he declared Shah Alam as the new capital of Selangor on 14 February 1974. Construction began in 1982 and finished on 11 March 1988. The Mosque is also known as the Blue Mosque owing to its blue dome. The building has the distinction of having the largest religious dome in the world, it measures 51.2 m (167 ft) in diameter and reaches 106.7 m (350 ft) above ground level. The four minarets, each reaching 142.3 m (460 ft) above ground level are the 2nd tallest in the world, the distinction of the world's highest being held by the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca Morocco,  In its early years, the mosque was listed in the Guinness World Records as having the tallest minaret in the world before being supplanted by the 210 m (689 ft) at the Hassan II Mosque when that structure was inaugurated in August 1993. The Blue Mosque (Masjid Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz) does however still maintain the distinction of having the world's tallest group of minarets as the set of four each stand at 142.3 m (460 ft) above ground level.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

THE BLUE MOSQUE OF MALAYSIA:

 

A night's view of the Malaysian Blue Mosque

 

The architectural design of Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque is a combination of Malay and Modernist style.

The mosque has the capacity to accommodate 24,000 worshippers at any one time and is large enough that on clear day it can be seen from some vantage points in Kuala Lampur

The main dome of the mosque measures 51.2 m (167 ft) in diameter and 106.7 m (350 ft) in height from the ground level. It is constructed primarily from aluminium. The minarets are placed at each of the four corners and are 142.3 m (460 ft) tall.

Elements of Malay and Islamic architecture are incorporated into the finishes of the building. Fine decorative khat (arabic calligraphy) can be seen on the inner curve of the dome and parts of the walls. The calligraphy work was executed by the Egyptian Calligrapher Shiekh Abdel Moneim Mohamed Ali El Sharkawi. Aluminium grills of intricate design can be found on the doorways, windows and walls of the Mosque. The windows are fitted with blue stained in order to reduce the amount of light that can enter the hall. The resulting filtered illumination renders a bluish ambiance to the interior spaces evoking a sense of peace and serenity. The high ceiling has triangular panels of red balau and ramin timber wood that are set in crisscrossing pattern. The dome is constructed of aluminium and the outer surface is clad with vitreous enamel-baked triangular steel panels decorated with a rosette of verses from the Qur'an. The main prayer hall is over two levels, is fully carpeted and air conditioned and is one of the largest such spaces in the world. The upper gallery of the prayer hall is reserved for the use of female worshippers. The second floor houses a gallery, the ground floor contains the administrative office, conference rooms, library, reception and lecture rooms.

The Blue Mosque overlooks the Garden of Islamic Arts, a landscaped park inspired by the Quranic Garden of Paradise (Jannah). This 14 hectares of spiritual sanctuary houses nine galleries exhibiting a rich array of Islamic arts such as calligraphy, sculptures, paintings and architecture. The site is occasionally used for traditional Islamic performances.





BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

SULTAN SULAIMAN ROYAL MOSQUE: MALAYSIA

 

Build in Klang, this is the Royal Mosque in the state of Selangor. This mosque design is neo-classical architecture. The main building of this mosque is octogonal. The domes are semi circular and painted yellow to represent the color of Royalty. Its main dome is double layered with a small dome on top of the larger one. The British influence is evident through Tartarius relief style. This can be seen through structural reinforcement in the mosque or at the windows and doors.

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

SULTAN SULAIMAN ROYAL MOSQUE: MALAYSIA

 

The concept design of the Sultan Sulaiman Mosque in Klang is quite different from any of the existing mosque in the state as well as in Malaysia. From the results of reading history books Malaysia, some say Sultan Sulaiman Mosque influence of Islamic architecture blends Moorish, neoclassical and English . Others say that the mosque's Art Deco concept for minimal decorative elements used here. Use simple geometry in plan mosque also lead to Western Art Deco. There are still elements of classical, especially on the pole, but it is quite minimal. Semicircular shaped dome of the mosque (partially hemisphere) egg yellow (not golden). Large dome of the main prayer space surrounded by several smaller domes.

 

There are eight small towers around the mosque and a large tower in the middle and higher entrance from the main porch. The tower is also decorated with yellow dome at the summit. Architect who designed the mosque is Leofric Kesteven. The mosque can accommodate about 1,000 pilgrims at a time. The present mosque has been through a number of processes and internal modifications in the 'courtyard' building. Original design is like a cross bar when viewed from above, as is so often used in church plans in Europe. But now form the Sultan Suleiman Mosque already looks like a square customization of the Selangor Islamic Religious Department (JAIS).

 

The main prayer room Sultan Sulaiman Mosque octagon shaped (octagonal) at the bottom and start to turn into a circular shape at the level of 10 meters. Side of the main dome can be picked up because it has two levels as balconies. Second level can be accessed with 'catladder'. There was a layer of decorative iron frame under the dome used to support the 'glass color' compiled pattern.

 

BEAUTIFUL MOSQUES OF THE WORLD:

 

SULTAN AHMAD SHAH MOSQUE: MALAYSIA

 

SULTAN AHMAD SHAH MOSQUE: MALAYSIA ALSO KNOWN AS THE STATE MOSQUE OF PAHANG: MALAYSIA

 

The Sultan Ahmad Shah State Mosque is Pahang's State Mosque. It is located in Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia.

It was constructed between 1991 and 1993 by DZJ Architect and Associates.

 

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post


×
×
×
×
×