Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

47,000 pensioners further impoverished by Govt 

–  removal of electricity, water subsidies wipes out pension “increase”

BY DEVINA SAMAROO

The suffering and desperation of over 47,000 mostly impoverished senior citizens have grown exponentially over the

Suffering and desperation of senior citizens have grown immensely over the past few months

Suffering and desperation of senior citizens have grown immensely over the past few months

past few months, following the removal of the telephone, water and electricity subsidies by the A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change (APNU/AFC) Government. The new coalition Administration had ostentatiously boasted of providing a massive 30 per cent pension increase to the elderly but instead, while the increase amounted to $4000, the resulting $17,000 was hardly sufficient to remove the pensioners from below the poverty line. But in what has been adjudged as a ‘cruel twist”, the Government completely removed the utility subsidies for pensioners which was put in place by the previous Government and served as a great relief to the elderly citizens of the country, most of whom are retired and have no means of earning an income. The funds needed to pay for electricity, water and telephones far exceeded the $4000 “increase”. Guyana Times spoke to several pensioners drawn from all social groups who reside in different areas of the country and they all reported that life has indeed gotten tougher for them under the new Government. While some persons have their families to assist them with their expenses, the majority do not. Some persons were forced to find jobs just to earn a little extra income to sustain their livelihoods. A handful were forced to adjust their lifestyles to a lesser comfortable one while others are at a complete loss as to how they will continue living. “I am now scraping for money to meet my bills; I have to burden my daughter, who already don’t earn enough for herself and her children. I trying to cut back on some stuff but how much you could cut back on? I gah hurt me head over all this. Is too much stress. Nah best I dead and gone,” expressed Tessa McKenzie, a 70-year-old woman who was at the time on her way to the Bourda Post Office, Georgetown. McKenzie said she was grateful for the additional money added to the pension however; she simply could not comprehend the rationale behind removing the subsidies. “I don’t get it. What sense it make really, eh?” she noted. While she could not give precise figures, the woman who lives by herself in Kitty, Georgetown, noted that the subsidies which were previously offered definitely lessened her financial burdens. “I never had to worry about the light bills and the water bills. When the month come, it was just a $2000 for the light bill and like a $4000 for the water bill. Cause it’s me alone and how much one old lady gonna use up? So the pension I used to get was good cause at least I had left over to buy my lil groceries. Now, it’s like all my pension going behind the bills,” McKenzie stated. This is the prevailing situation for hundreds of pensioners across the country. Another Georgetown resident, Robert Gibson, 68 years old, said he was forced to take a job as a security officer at a private residence just so he can earn a “little extra” income. “I am retired, now is supposed to be a time for me to sit back and not stress about anything. But the money we are getting is not working out. The other day, my friend told me that this man looking for a guard for his house so I decide to take the work because I need the money,” Gibson stated. The man said he lives with his wife, who is also a pensioner, but the money they receive altogether is not sufficient enough for them to live comfortably. Along the East Bank Demerara corridor, pensioners are also crying out over what they deemed as a stressful situation. “The stress I taking on now might just kill me,” one lady lightheartedly stated. Carl Lopez, who resides in Diamond New Housing Scheme, said the pension he is receiving is not enough to cover his utility bills, purchase his groceries and meet his hospital fees or to buy his monthly supplies of medication. “The bills coming at $10,000 now, that’s for light bill. I can’t remember the other bills but, I know for sure that when we had the subsidies, it wasn’t so much. Probably just a $3000 I used to pay. Now, that aside, I have to buy the groceries, well my son does help me with groceries but you know it get a lot of people who don’t have anybody to help them. A lot, I’m telling you. We suffering now… my hospital fees come up to about $10,000. I am only getting $17,000 as pension. Plus I have to buy the medication,” he noted. Asked how he has managed to meet his expenses thus far, Lopez said he had to limit his purchase on his medication. “I’m still working out how I’ll manage the rest,” he related. On the East Coast of Demerera, pensioner Irma (only name given), was highly annoyed and extremely frustrated over the situation. “They add on $4000 and then they say ‘Yay! We giving them the good life’. But all they do is give us $4000 and they took away $34,000,” the woman vented. She noted that she used to save approximately $38,000 altogether on her monthly bills. “Now where they expect me to find the money to pay my bills. If I use my pension money and the $4000 extra they give we, how I gonna eat?” Irma expressed. “I have to now depend on my children and I don’t want to do that. They have their own expenses too. Now what about those people who don’t have children to fall back on? There are a lot of people like that. You go and look around, you will hear people crying out. The situation needs to be fixed. Put back the subsidies or raise the pension higher,” she stated.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The PNC/AFC Government completely removed the utility subsidies for pensioners which was put in place by the previous Government and served as a great relief to the elderly citizens of the country, most of whom are retired and have no means of earning an income.

FM

The funds needed to pay for electricity, water and telephones far exceeded the $4000 “increase”. Guyana Times spoke to several pensioners drawn from all social groups who reside in different areas of the country and they all reported that life has indeed gotten tougher for them under the new Government

FM

This shows clearly that the Walking Dead PNC/AFC has been forcing the old and elderly pensioners to go and find work, to survive.

What a shameful mess this Government has put themselves in. 

FM

They pulled a bait and switch on them Guyanese, especially the elderly Blacks. I met one older Black woman just after the elections and she was thanking Jesus for installing Granger et al. Little did she know that their prime objective was to fill their pockets and share out a pittance to the supporters. 

FM
Originally Posted by asj:

This shows clearly that the Walking Dead PNC/AFC has been forcing the old and elderly pensioners to go and find work, to survive.

As Nehru said "GUYANA GAAN FUH CHANNA". Guyanese will be forced to eat dry coconut and drink trench water. Here comes the "Bakkle" lamps again. History repeating itself. What a nation!

FM
Originally Posted by skeldon_man:
Originally Posted by asj:

As Nehru said "GUYANA GAAN FUH CHANNA". Guyanese will be forced to eat dry coconut and drink trench water. Here comes the "Bakkle" lamps again. History repeating itself. What a nation!

It is a hurtful situation,  when the current Government (PNC/AFC) decided to shove a stick to the poor and helpless....... 

FM
Originally Posted by Ramakant-P:
Originally Posted by Nehru:

ON THE OTHER HAND THE PNC AND TWO HOUSE SLAVES ARE LIVING LIKE KINGS.  FRIGGIN BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got it.

u stupid stupid racist collie man 

FM
Originally Posted by Billy Ram Balgobin:

Dem people in Sophia and Buxton been thiefing electricity through illegal connections. What do they care about subisidies being cut?

billy goat all over guyana stealing electricity so stop the racist shit and grow up

FM

Warrior, you have been a long time supporter of the Freedom Fighters who unleashed terror on Indians on the East Coast of Demerara. What good is in your soul when you can support such thing. You have refused to acknowledge to deep pit the PNC buried this nation in and the herculean task the PPP undertook in 1992 to drag us out. Today, the Granger admin. is busily consolidating power, restricting freedoms, setting up shell companies to bilk the coffers of the state, offering fat salaries to ministers, depriving pensioners and children of monies badly needed, and a whole host of other things. Why would you want to support a regime that just came in to office and the first thing they did is to reward themselves financially instead of doing things to continue the growth momentum of the economy?

Billy Ram Balgobin

Warrior, you have been a long time supporter of the Freedom Fighters who unleashed terror on Indians on the East Coast of Demerara. What good is in your soul when you can support such thing. You have refused to acknowledge to deep pit the PNC buried this nation in and the herculean task the PPP undertook in 1992 to drag us out. Today, the Granger admin. is busily consolidating power, restricting freedoms, setting up shell companies to bilk the coffers of the state, offering fat salaries to ministers, depriving pensioners and children of monies badly needed, and a whole host of other things. Why would you want to support a regime that just came in to office and the first thing they did is to reward themselves financially instead of doing things to continue the growth momentum of the economy?

bai its only 5 months any child will tell u that u cannot judge the people in 5 months now if i see a pradoville going up and a minister start building like ALI i will be the first to say lets hang them 

FM

The early warnings given when the PNC took power in 1964 were not taken seriously by many. The results turned about to even worse than feared. We must not ignore the lessons of history. It's deja vu all over again.

Billy Ram Balgobin

The early warnings given when the PNC took power in 1964 were not taken seriously by many. The results turned about to even worse than feared. We must not ignore the lessons of history. It's deja vu all over again.

so i guess we will get a next Hitler i think we should keep a eye on Germany  

FM

Nazis were prosecuted at Nuremberg and banished. The PNC was forgiven by the late CBJ for all the wrongs they have done. The monster has been let out of the cage again. Watch how they eat away at the nation like hyenas on a carcass.

Billy Ram Balgobin

Nazis were prosecuted at Nuremberg and banished. The PNC was forgiven by the late CBJ for all the wrongs they have done. The monster has been let out of the cage again. Watch how they eat away at the nation like hyenas on a carcass.

So you are acknowledging that the PPP/C is dead meat. partybanana

Mitwah
Originally Posted by Mitwah:

billy goat is brain dead

FM
Originally Posted by warrior:

billy goat is brain dead

Jagdeo said something similar about you. You lolo dead.

FM
Originally Posted by skeldon_man:
Originally Posted by warrior:

billy goat is brain dead

Jagdeo said something similar about you. You lolo dead.

Hmmm, and how does Jagdeo know of this?

cain

It is funny how the afc/apnu supporters, cain, mitwah, warrior and others still refuse to debate substance and resort to childish remarks. They put these bunch of crooks into office to suck the lifeblood out of the nation. 

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.