Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

State Minister defends 10% to 50% increases for PM, Ministers and MPs

“The Ministers of government that we have now justify an increase, the salary of a senior minister is 500 plus thousand a month… that is what I paid to one of my Attorneys when I was in private practice… why should I be working for that?”

The government’s Chief Spokesman, Minister of State Joe Harmon on Tuesday stood his ground to defend salary increases that were offered to government ministers and Members of Parliament.

Harmon told the media that he was not prepared to offer any apologies for the salary increases since it is his fervent belief that it can be justified and it is most deserving.

“The Ministers of government that we have now justify an increase, the salary of a senior minister is 500 plus thousand a month… that is what I paid to one of my Attorneys when I was in private practice… why should I be working for that?” he questioned.

He said too that a careful examination of the Cabinet would reveal that there are persons of quality and as a consequence they should be paid accordingly. “You cannot have a situation like in the PPP where they were prepared to accept low salaries because they were thieving monies all over the place, we are not going to do that, our ministers will have to sign to a code of conduct, a code of service which requires then to act at the different levels,” he added.

Harmon maintained that he salary increase are justifiable and must be paid if persons are expected to perform.

According to documents published in the Official Gazette of September 25, Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo will be paid $20,580,000 per annum. The Prime Minister’s new salary represents a 10% increase.

The four Vice Presidents will receive $11,135,064 per annum while senior government Ministers are slated for a $10M annual salary. The new salary for senior government ministers represents a 50% increase.

The Leader of the Opposition will now be paid a 50% increase and his salary has been bumped up to just over $10 Million a year.

Other parliamentarians, inclusive of those in the opposition benches, will be paid $2, 402,532 each year and that represents a 19% increase while the Speaker will be paid $10M annually. He gets a 50% increase.

Increases were also given to the Chief Whips, Parliamentary Secretaries and the  Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly.

http://newssourcegy.com/news/s...m-ministers-and-mps/

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Jalil:

“The Ministers of government that we have now justify an increase, the salary of a senior minister is 500 plus thousand a month… that is what I paid to one of my Attorneys when I was in private practice… why should I be working for that?”

The government’s Chief Spokesman, Minister of State Joe Harmon on Tuesday stood his ground to defend salary increases that were offered to government ministers and Members of Parliament.

Harmon told the media that he was not prepared to offer any apologies for the salary increases since it is his fervent belief that it can be justified and it is most deserving.

“The Ministers of government that we have now justify an increase, the salary of a senior minister is 500 plus thousand a month… that is what I paid to one of my Attorneys when I was in private practice… why should I be working for that?” he questioned.

He said too that a careful examination of the Cabinet would reveal that there are persons of quality and as a consequence they should be paid accordingly. “You cannot have a situation like in the PPP where they were prepared to accept low salaries because they were thieving monies all over the place, we are not going to do that, our ministers will have to sign to a code of conduct, a code of service which requires then to act at the different levels,” he added.

Harmon maintained that he salary increase are justifiable and must be paid if persons are expected to perform.

According to documents published in the Official Gazette of September 25, Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo will be paid $20,580,000 per annum. The Prime Minister’s new salary represents a 10% increase.

The four Vice Presidents will receive $11,135,064 per annum while senior government Ministers are slated for a $10M annual salary. The new salary for senior government ministers represents a 50% increase.

The Leader of the Opposition will now be paid a 50% increase and his salary has been bumped up to just over $10 Million a year.

Other parliamentarians, inclusive of those in the opposition benches, will be paid $2, 402,532 each year and that represents a 19% increase while the Speaker will be paid $10M annually. He gets a 50% increase.

Increases were also given to the Chief Whips, Parliamentary Secretaries and the  Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly.

I thought the country is broke, it's in a recession.This is the time to tighten belts other than splurging.CADILLAC LIFE STYLE ON DONKEY CART ECONOMY.

K
Originally Posted by kp:

I thought the country is broke, it's in a recession.This is the time to tighten belts other than splurging.CADILLAC LIFE STYLE ON DONKEY CART ECONOMY.

The government will save billions from what was previously being scammed by the PPP to pay for their Pradoville mansions. That will more than pay for the increases. The intent is to stamp out government corruption and not have a lawless free for all like during the PPP days. Any ministers found tiefin now will be given the boot immediately.

Mars

What a Shame

Harmond have to pull up the PPP

about Thiefing & Corruption.

Harmon told reporters that the previous salaries

earned by Ministers was not up to par

with what they should receive.

He said that if the government would like quality

then it has to pay for it rather than have graft.

“It is justifiable,

we cannot have a situation like the PPP

where they were prepared to accept low salaries

because they were thieving money all over the place.

We cannot have that,”

the Minister stated.

“You cannot have a situation like in the PPP

because they were thieving monies all over the place,

we are not going to do that,

our ministers will have to sign to a code of conduct,

a code of service which requires then

to act at the different levels,”

The Prime Minister’s new salary

represents a 10% increase.

Other parliamentarians,

inclusive of those in the opposition benches,

will be paid $2, 402,532 each year

and that represents a 19% increase

The Leader of the Opposition will now be paid

a 50% increase

and his salary has been bumped up

to just over $10 Million a year.

Did we hear PPP complaining about

50% Increase

for Opposition Leader

19% Increase

for all 32 of the (PPP) opposition MP's

But the PPP Crab Louse -KP & Co.

are here complaining about

10% Increase

for Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo

FM
Last edited by Former Member

What a Shame

“It is justifiable,

We cannot have that,”

the Minister stated.

Other parliamentarians,

a 50% increase

50% Increase

for Opposition Leader

19% Increase

10% Increase

i dont think any minister should take the increase

V

What a Shame

“It is justifiable,

We cannot have that,”

the Minister stated.

Other parliamentarians,

a 50% increase

50% Increase

for Opposition Leader

19% Increase

10% Increase

Jalil, the PNC LOVER MAN, three cheers to you, you passed BIG ABC art class. I am not alined to any political party, unlike you a PNC. I am a Guyanese at heart, the country is poor, it's people poor. As a business man, when production drops, cash flow down, you need to cut corners.These fool just got in government, haven't proven a shit and start rewarding themselves. Listen, if Guyana was a business, it would be in bankruptcy.I can see if rice, gold ,sugar, and other businesses were booming and the crime was down, then they can ask the taxpayer for a raise. Their method of controlling fraud and thief is to PUT THEIR HANDS in the COOKIE JAR and take whatever and whenever. They are thieving BRIGHT DAY LIGHT. so when hard working people complain, you fools in North America, shoot shit. I do hope some day you will write SENSE, but WHEN.

K
Originally Posted by kp:
. . .  I am not alined to any political party, unlike you a PNC. I am a Guyanese at heart, the country is poor, it's people poor. As a business man, when production drops, cash flow down, you need to cut corners.These fool just got in government, haven't proven a shit and start rewarding themselves. Listen, if Guyana was a business, it would be in bankruptcy.I can see if rice, gold ,sugar, and other businesses were booming and the crime was down, then they can ask the taxpayer for a raise. Their method of controlling fraud and thief is to PUT THEIR HANDS in the COOKIE JAR and take whatever and whenever. They are thieving BRIGHT DAY LIGHT. so when hard working people complain, you fools in North America, shoot shit. I do hope some day you will write SENSE, but WHEN.

the salary increases are not a "reward" klown

pay attention!

incidentally, i almost believe u when u claim not to be "alined towards any political party" . . . being a low-rent bigot covers that territory and more

FM
Last edited by Former Member
Originally Posted by redux:
Originally Posted by kp:
. . .  I am not alined to any political party, unlike you a PNC. I am a Guyanese at heart, the country is poor, it's people poor. As a business man, when production drops, cash flow down, you need to cut corners.These fool just got in government, haven't proven a shit and start rewarding themselves. Listen, if Guyana was a business, it would be in bankruptcy.I can see if rice, gold ,sugar, and other businesses were booming and the crime was down, then they can ask the taxpayer for a raise. Their method of controlling fraud and thief is to PUT THEIR HANDS in the COOKIE JAR and take whatever and whenever. They are thieving BRIGHT DAY LIGHT. so when hard working people complain, you fools in North America, shoot shit. I do hope some day you will write SENSE, but WHEN.

pay attention!

incidentally, i almost believe u when u claim not to be "alined towards any political party" . . . being a low-rent bigot covers that territory and more

Don't strip yourself naked, I can read your COLOUR.

K
Originally Posted by kp:
Originally Posted by redux:
Originally Posted by kp:

pay attention!

Don't strip yourself naked, I can read your COLOUR.

wha bout my "COLOUR" needs "read[ing]" bai?

hmmmmm . . .?

FM
Originally Posted by cain:

500,00GY = 2,417 US.

Is that considered enough for a Govt Minister in Guyana?

This is not vary much for a minister, my monthly cheques are far more than this amount.

A wage increase might be appropriate to  avoid corruption, but with LG election close by, voters perception is another matter.   

Tola

This was the goal all along, get into power and rape the nation. Their platform was to be humble civil servants and take the higher moral ground, now they rake in the loot in a bareface manner for all to see. Notice how the apnu/afc supporters found ways to justify this travesty when during the election campaign they were lambasting the PPP for inflated salaries and opulent lifestyles. As I said before, one set of thieves replaced by another more barefaced set.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.