Skip to main content

FM
Former Member
Home > NEWS > Crime Chief… 14% increase in murders countrywide –urges citizens report brawls to prevent murders
Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum
Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum

Crime Chief… 14% increase in murders countrywide –urges citizens report brawls to prevent murders

CRIME Chief Wendell Blanhum says interpersonal violence, rum shop brawls, shootings, and disputes have contributed to the 79 murders recorded for this year, so far.He has noted that there has been an increase of 14% in murders countrywide, which is very alarming and asked that persons adopt more responsible behaviour and intervene or inform the police.

The senior superintendent revealed that the police have tallied six execution-style murders this year, while last year for the same period there were two.

Giving statistics, he said the Guyana Police Force (GPF) recorded 13 each as regards robbery/murder both in 2015 and in 2014 respectively.

Blanhum stated that there have been nine domestic murders this year, while for the corresponding period last year there were 20, which saw a reduction this year by 55%.

As for disorderly murders, the crime chief noted that in so far in 2015 there have been 29 and in 2014 there were 15 with an 81% increase.

He said that they have 22 unknown murders this year, while in 2014 they had eight.

Blanhum stated that the Major Crime Investigation Unit (MCIU) successfully solved many homicides with support from the Crime Intelligence Unit, both operating out of the Criminal Investigations Department, Eve Leary.

He explained that when the police receive a report, they respond promptly but they are encouraging society to play their part also in reporting incidents of fights, etc. so that murders could be prevented.

A typical case is the murder of music cart vendor Leroy Moore at a bar at Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara, recently.

He added that if the bar attendant had promptly reported to the police that there was a row among the patrons, ranks would have been able to show up there and prevent that homicide.

Alluding to the fact that instead of persons informing the police of brawls and heated quarrels which often turn deadly, they film or record the incidents and take it to social media such as facebook, Blanhum said.

He urged that citizens intervene in such incidents instead of turning a blind eye or filming it and call the police to prevent such occurrences of murders.

Meanwhile, at the end of June 2015, the GPF said it had recorded a 9% increase in serious crimes in comparison to the same period in 2014.

Among the serious crimes policed by the force are murder, robbery under arms, robbery with violence, robbery with aggravation, larceny from the person, break and enter and larceny, burglary, rape, and kidnapping.

A total of 79 murders were recorded at the end of June 2015 in comparison to 69 murders at the end of June 2014, an increase of 14%.

Unto the 10th of this month, July 2015, one other murder has been recorded.

At the end of June 2015, robbery under arms overall has decreased by 6% in comparison to the same period in 2014. The statistics indicate a decrease of 9% in the number of armed robberies involving the use of firearms; while the number of armed robberies where instruments other than firearms were used by the perpetrators is almost similar.

There has been an increase of 74% in the number of reports of rape with 207 reports at the end of June this year, compared to 119 for the same period last year. Break and Enter and Larceny and Burglary have shown an overall increase of 9%.

Unto the end of June this year, a total of 61 illegal firearms have been recovered by the police, including one sub-machine gun, 35 pistols, 14 revolvers, four shotguns, six rifles and one pen-gun.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Why dont you proffer opinions as to where they are deficient that they miss so we may grasp your competency to comment. Declarative statement in the title of a thread does not make it so. You have to shape it otherwise it is just another sycophantic post.

FM
Originally Posted by baseman:

The release of criminals sent the message "crime does pay" under the PNC!

Especially if they target Indos and Indo Businessmen. APNU will slowly become the same old PNC.

FM

The release of criminals sent the message "crime does pay" under the PNC!  PNC should now include crime as an economic index and they can boast "growth" under the PNC.

Under the PPP we got complete and total neglect. This fell ow has to survive in a society where others are after his behind. One can actually parse the margins of his life span given the dog eat dog world the PPP created.

FM
Originally Posted by Stormborn:

The release of criminals sent the message "crime does pay" under the PNC!  PNC should now include crime as an economic index and they can boast "growth" under the PNC.

Under the PPP we got complete and total neglect. This fell ow has to survive in a society where others are after his behind. One can actually parse the margins of his life span given the dog eat dog world the PPP created.

So you justify Afro crime!  Now why they seem to hold the copyright under the good old PNC days?  Was it the effect of too much cassava flour?

FM
Originally Posted by yuji22:

Especially if they target Indos and Indo Businessmen. APNU will slowly become the same old PNC.

Slowly?  Wake up quickly bai.

FM

14 Percent increase in murders under APNU.

"A total of 79 murders were recorded at the end of June 2015 in comparison to 69 murders at the end of June 2014, an increase of 14%."

Moron, the 14% increase in murders is for the period from January to June 2015 when compared to the same period in 2014.

Mars

This government is quickly become the most hated Government in Guyana's history.

14 Percent in crime is a major issue, add to their lack of ability to handle the economy and you get the big picture.

Guyana is headed for disaster under APNU/PNC.

Moses and Ramjattan better plan their early exit and stop associating themselves with these clowns.

FM
Originally Posted by Mars:

"A total of 79 murders were recorded at the end of June 2015 in comparison to 69 murders at the end of June 2014, an increase of 14%."

Moron, the 14% increase in murders is for the period from January to June 2015 when compared to the same period in 2014.

Listen YOU MORON,

This is all happening under APNU/PNC's watch. Stop defending clowns in APNU.

The crime situation is out of control under APNU. Looks like the PNC shackled Ramjattan and he is unable to perform, this could be a set up for Ramjattan by PNC elements to make him final.

FM

Moses and Ramjattan living their best years ever under the APNU/AFC Govt. Why would they want to go back to a minority PPP party who turn their backs on them and is now led by a racist.

FM

Listen YOU MORON,

The crime situation is out of control under APNU. Looks like the PNC shackled Ramjattan and he is unable to perform, this could be a set up for Ramjattan by PNC elements to make him final.

Who was the government from January to May jackass? The numbers are for January to June but I don't expect a poorly educated dunce to understand. You probably think that the Coalition government inherited a pristine country where there was no crime and within two months they messed it up. 

Mars

This government is quickly become the most hated Government in Guyana's history.

14 Percent in crime is a major issue, add to their lack of ability to handle the economy and you get the big picture.

Moses and Ramjattan better plan their early exit and stop associating themselves with these clowns.

Wha wrang wid yuh, bhaiya. Me mad put one slap pon yuh head.

Look at dis link. See fo yuhself. De PPP phantom squad and death squad bin murda 449 people, mostly blackman. Yuh nah bin know da?

http://onevoicecanwin.com/?p=1961

FM
Originally Posted by Gilbakka:

Wha wrang wid yuh, bhaiya. Me mad put one slap pon yuh head.

Look at dis link. See fo yuhself. De PPP phantom squad and death squad bin murda 449 people, mostly blackman. Yuh nah bin know da?

http://onevoicecanwin.com/?p=1961

Gilly, how many people did the 449 kill or contributed to their deaths.  Were these 449 angels? The protection of the Nation  is a first priority and it must be done at any cost. This is any government's first duty to the people.

FM
Last edited by Former Member

Listen YOU MORON,

Who was the government from January to May jackass? The numbers are for January to June but I don't expect a poorly educated dunce to understand. You probably think that the Coalition government inherited a pristine country where there was no crime and within two months they messed it up. 

Does not matter, deal with it.

FM
Originally Posted by Gupta:

Moses and Ramjattan living their best years ever under the APNU/AFC Govt. Why would they want to go back to a minority PPP party who turn their backs on them and is now led by a racist.

They are, while Guyanese live in hell under the PNC.

FM

This man Yugi is an uneducated, illiterate moron whose only appeal is to his kith and kin with cries of "coolie gon dead" and "indians rich". Implied in ever post. He might also be inbred.

FM

So you justify Afro crime!  Now why they seem to hold the copyright under the good old PNC days?  Was it the effect of too much cassava flour?

1.  Can you furnish evidence that 100% of the crime is committed by Africans?

2.  Can you furnish evidence that 100% of the victims of crime are Indians.

3.  Can you furnish evidence that 100% of the increase in crime occurred in June?  Note that the coalition gov't was not seated until mid May, due to the childish protestations of the PPP which held up the final declaration of the results.

4.  Given that the COP is the SAME under APNU/AFC than he was under the PPP, why does the PPP not get the blame for hiring an incompetent person?

I know that you cannot so all you do is expose what a racist black hating dog that you are.

Thanks.

FM
Last edited by Former Member

Prime Minister wants police to follow leads to uncover “criminal syndicate attached to PPP”

July 27, 2015 | By | Filed Under News 

– Implies that former Home Affairs Minister sent a warning during election campaign

By Abena Rockcliffe

Prime Minister, and first Vice-President, Moses Nagamootoo has indicated that he has reason to believe that there was a “criminal syndicate” attached to the People’s Progressive Party which ruled Guyana for 23 years. As he spoke to the media on Saturday about a perceived breach of security at his home, the Prime Minister also indicated his belief that one of the suspects held by the police for the murder of political activist, Courtney Crum-Ewing—Rajput Naraine—attempted to infiltrate the Alliance For Change (AFC). The Prime Minister said that Naraine, a former bodyguard to then Attorney General Anil Nandlall, had “expressed interest” in him. Nagamootoo said Naraine “came to my office during the campaign and offered his service as one of my security…he said he was going to watch my back.” Nagamootoo said that he was taken aback by Naraine’s “nervousness.” The Prime Minister claimed that Naraine told him that he had provided security for him sometime in the past. “I could not remember him  but I now recall that he told me he was working at CANU or with GRA and said that he was working with them but still wanted to protect me.” Nagamootoo questioned, “Did he (Naraine) know something? Did he hear something? Was his nervousness anything to do with me being a target of some sort?” He said that he could not recall exactly whether this meeting with the murder suspect was before or after the assassination of political activist Courtney Crum-Ewing.

Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo

Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo

Former hit man, Sean Hinds

Former hit man, Sean Hinds

Former Minister of Home Affairs: Clement Rohee

Former Minister of Home Affairs: Clement Rohee

The Vice President said, “I probably believe it was after that (Crum-Ewing’s assassination) he came to me and said that he would like to be a member of the AFC. I do not recall well but I think he collected forms to sign up for the AFC and he probably might have secured membership because I had a desk outside where people coming into my lawyer’s chamber could ask for membership.” Nagamootoo said that with all that is being revealed now, including Naraine’s arrest, he is beginning to see a bigger picture of a plot that had his assassination at the climax. “I am connecting the dots. His name is being called in relationship with criminal elements and he found a person like me leading up to the elections as a person of interest, saying he want to help to protect etc, etc,” said Nagamootoo. He added, “So I think there might have been a wider conspiracy which we do not know of and this is where I would expect that the police should follow all leads to see whether there was a criminal syndicate attached to the PPP. I have a suspicion that there might have been because why would the former Home Affairs Minister Clement Rohee  go  public to say during the campaign that ‘those who ain’t dead will be badly wounded’.It is a matter for him to explain.” Nagamootoo had also told the media that two weeks ago, Tuesday, July 14, the security detail attached to his home noticed a strange car parked close by. Sean Hinds was identified as the occupant of the car. As the security approached, the car sped away. A check of the car’s license plate number revealed that the particular number belonged to a car with a different colour. Nagamootoo is convinced that the surveillance was for a possible hit. “We have information that some days ago Sean Hinds had been parked in a car in the vicinity of my residence and neighbours were alerted, the police were summoned and the vehicle drove away very fast,” he told reporters. The Prime Minister believes that based on the information provided, Hinds was allegedly on “some kind of recce.” Nagamootoo added, “If I was an asset or I was a target, I believe that Sean Hinds would have to come and explain.” Nagamootoo said he was informed that another vehicle, a black automobile believed to the property of Anil Nandlall, was also seen near his house. He said that he previously confronted Hinds at City Hall and told him, “I understand he has interest in me and he laughed and he didn’t say much on that occasion.” When contacted, Hinds expressed total shock at the new development. He said, “Wha? What? Is wha I hearing here man? Me and these people don’t have a problem and I ain’t deh pon dem thing. Nobody from no side of de fence can’t get me to do dem things no more.” He stressed, “I ain’t deh pon dem thing.” Hinds acknowledged that he is a popular figure and “If I want to do something, I won’t mek me presence known like that. I know that a man must know that is me lie down by the house. Come on, pick sense out of nonsense.” He said that he cannot understand “what they really want with me.” “If they wanted to find out the truth they could a send a man to me house to seh well look you wanted fuh questioning.” Hinds continued, “I am not like that… nobody cannot put me up to anything like that. I done been down that road, not me again.”

Mitwah
Originally Posted by caribny:

1.  Can you furnish evidence that 100% of the crime is committed by Africans? (Never said that).

2.  Can you furnish evidence that 100% of the victims of crime are Indians. (Never said that)

3.  Can you furnish evidence that 100% of the increase in crime occurred in June?  Note that the coalition gov't was not seated until mid May, due to the childish protestations of the PPP which held up the final declaration of the results. (Never said that)

4.  Given that the COP is the SAME under APNU/AFC than he was under the PPP, why does the PPP not get the blame for hiring an incompetent person?  (When police see criminals go free, they get demoralized).

I know that you cannot so all you do is expose what a racist black hating dog that you are.

Thanks.

See above. Now grow up.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.