Skip to main content

10 major international investors signal interest in sugar
CEO of GuySuCo, Sasenarine Singh
CEO of GuySuCo, Sasenarine Singh

–sugar refinery, distillery among proposed projects

IT is common knowledge that the resuscitation of Guyana’s ailing sugar industry will have to be done through a Public-Private Partnership, and, already, investors from Asia, North America, the Caribbean, and Guyana have formally signaled their intention to join this process.
The Government of Guyana, in September, had advertised for Expressions of Interest (EoIs) from financiers who are not just interested in investing in sugar but in being part of the industry’s resuscitation.

In 2017, the former A Partnership for National Unity + Alliance For Change (APNU+AFC) coalition Government had announced the closure of several sugar estates across the country. The move saw four sugar estates being closed, and 7,000 sugar workers losing their jobs.
Plans are afoot to not just rehire persons but to return this industry to viability through coordinated and prudent management, which is expected to come from both private and public stakeholders.

FLASHBACK: GuySuCo’s Chief Executive Officer, Sasenarine Singh, assisting in packing the first batch of packaged sugar at the Enmore Packaging Plant

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo), Sasenarine Singh has said that the government has received ten EoIs from foreign companies, and one proposal from a local investor.
Information on the investors’ identities remain confidential at this time, but Singh, during a press briefing at GuySuCo on Monday, said the proposals will soon be reviewed.

Singh, while not delving into the details of the actual proposals, said interests have been expressed in sugar refinery, ethanol production, agro-energy, a distillery, and packaged sugar among other things.
“I am happy to see that there are private sector participants who are serious about value-added products coming out of Guyana,” said the CEO.
Singh, after being appointed to the helm of GuySuCo in September, had said that the Corporation is banking on value-added to help return sugar to profitability.

NEW APPROACH
“GuySuCo is on a change plan; we have refashioned the way we are doing things. We have re-engineered the way we are thinking of GuySuCo; the whole vision at GuySuCo right now is to move up the value chain as fast as we can within the constraints of finances, and, in addition to that, we are opening three estates. So it’s going up, and it’s going broader,” said the CEO in a previous report.
He reiterated this position on Monday, noting that GuySuCo has restarted the production of packaged sugar, and will be focusing heavily on this aspect of production, instead of the traditional bulk production.

“GuySuCo started production of packaged sugar; we are moving away from the dump market to go into packaged sugar, and this is the reality. We get double the value per tonne when we sell packet sugar, versus what we dump on the world market,” Singh said.
Considering the substantial benefits of value-added production, the CEO believes it is a “no-brainer” situation when assessing which segments of the market to supply with Guyana’s sugar.

The vision of GuySuCo, as outlined by the company’s management, is to focus on expanding the sale of packaged sugar in CARICOM, North America, and the local markets. GuySuCo’s overarching plan for 2021 is to produce 97,000 tonnes of sugar, a high percentage of which is expected to be packaged.

“GuySuCo is making money on the packaged sugar, and losing on the bulk sugar, so we are moving away from the bulk sugar and focusing on the value-added products. We are building a short-term, medium-term, and long-term plan; we are supplementing what Blairmont is producing. Blairmont is now focused exclusively on the export market for packaged sugar, while Enmore will focus on the local market,” Singh said in a past report.

The Government has released $3B to the industry, of which sum, $2.2B will go towards the re-opening of the three estates, while the remaining $0.8B will be used to re-capitalize the current assets to help achieve outlined objectives.

https://guyanachronicle.com/20...FqOlMr3oqDBDMYvjrKlE

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Viper posted:

FYI, Guysuco already hired 7000 laid off sugar workers already. At least they will have a good Christmas with their family in five years.

You head good?  Who told you GUYSUCO already hired 7000 laid off sugar workers?  Madman Sase?  Ramakant?

T
@Totaram posted:

You head good?  Who told you GUYSUCO already hired 7000 laid off sugar workers?  Madman Sase?  Ramakant?

These guys fabricate story to make themselves feel good. Just like the PPP fooling the ordinary people to vote for them and then ignore them afterwards.

Tola
@Tola posted:

These guys fabricate story to make themselves feel good. Just like the PPP fooling the ordinary people to vote for them and then ignore them afterwards.

Stop being a sourpuss and go lick your wounds somewhere else.

Viper
@Tola posted:

Stop lying like most in the PPP, to make your self look smarter, than you really are.   

You have lost your way with me. I don't support either PPP or PNC. I support success and the will of the people. So, be careful when you speak.

Viper
@Viper posted:

You have lost your way with me. I don't support either PPP or PNC. I support success and the will of the people. So, be careful when you speak.

Are you brain damaged ? You want to tell me how  and when to speak ?

Tola
@Viper posted:

My figure was meant to be 700. So what, that's 700 happy families that were scavenging for five years can now breathe the fresh air of hope. Who wants to argue with success?

Seven hundred happy families that, instead of educating them and bringing them out of poverty, will be kept in their state for at least another generation thus ensuring their vote. Patheric. Success would be making sure their children are given education and better opportunities.

GTAngler
@GTAngler posted:

Seven hundred happy families that, instead of educating them and bringing them out of poverty, will be kept in their state for at least another generation thus ensuring their vote. Patheric. Success would be making sure their children are given education and better opportunities.

What is stopping them from going to school?  Nursery, Primary, Junior high, and Secondary Education are all free in Guyana. Books are also given out to those who can't afford to buy them.

R
@Ramakant-P posted:

What is stopping them from going to school?  Nursery, Primary, Junior high, and Secondary Education are all free in Guyana. Books are also given out to those who can't afford to buy them.

Dude, stop playing the ass. You know the services offered diminish as you move further away from Georgetown. A lot of those children are also kept home to help plant gardens and seek odd jobs to help their families. Can you tell me that all schools in Guyana have the same educational supplies? Can you tell me the services offered in Georgetown are the same as those in rural Amerindian Villages? But Education is free right?

GTAngler
@GTAngler posted:

Dude, stop playing the ass. You know the services offered diminish as you move further away from Georgetown. A lot of those children are also kept home to help plant gardens and seek odd jobs to help their families. Can you tell me that all schools in Guyana have the same educational supplies? Can you tell me the services offered in Georgetown are the same as those in rural Amerindian Villages? But Education is free right?

Yes! I am telling you that. There are two multi-lateral schools in the Rupuruni and North West Districts that offered the same services as the GT schools. The PPP gave them computers among other things.

R
Last edited by Ramakant-P
@Ramakant-P posted:

Yes! I am telling you that. There are two multi-lateral schools in the Rupuruni and North West Districts that offered the same services as the GT schools. The PPP gave them computers among other things.

Don't be so stupid. The kids from the sugar cane districts will attend schools in the Rupununi and NWD? Your schupidity has no cure. Sad!

Mitwah
@Ramakant-P posted:

Maybe in the Rupuruni but certainly not in the Rupununi. Anyway not playing on words. Let's say for argument sake those two measure up and I have no doubt they were thrown a couple of computers along with those outboard engines to get their vote  What about the rest of the country and why is it that organizations here raise money to send those same supplies to their villages?

GTAngler
@GTAngler posted:

Maybe in the Rupuruni but certainly not in the Rupununi. Anyway not playing on words. Let's say for argument sake those two measure up and I have no doubt they were thrown a couple of computers along with those outboard engines to get their vote  What about the rest of the country and why is it that organizations here raise money to send those same supplies to their villages?

The rest of the country? you should blame the PNC coalition for ignoring education for the last 5 years.  The Coalition did nothing for them and that's why organizations have raised money for them. The little that they got went a far way to paint over the schools and repair windows.

Why did the Amerindians and Douglas vote against the coalition?

GT, I am beginning to enjoy talking with you. Thanks.

R
@Ramakant-P posted:

The rest of the country? you should blame the PNC coalition for ignoring education for the last 5 years.  The Coalition did nothing for them and that's why organizations have raised money for them. The little that they got went a far way to paint over the schools and repair windows.

Why did the Amerindians and Douglas vote against the coalition?

Well trained for bullsh*****

Django
@GTAngler posted:

Money is needed to send their children to school. I am talking to the seniors who lost their jobs and get re-hired under the new administration. What opportunity was there under APNU/AFC? Please name some.

Viper

There was a lot of infighting between Khemraj, Moses, and Harmon. Moses was not interested in developing the country. All he had wanted is to chair cabinet Meetings and all Khemraj wanted was to put PPP boys behind bars and recover state properties. I blame Granger who became a lame-duck President.

R
@Viper posted:

Money is needed to send their children to school. I am talking to the seniors who lost their jobs and get re-hired under the new administration. What opportunity was there under APNU/AFC? Please name some.

It's always the same old bullshit. Who is to blame instead of finding solutions. I am also speaking about the ones who lost jobs. Why stick them in a money losing enterprise? I am sure they can be retrained to do other things. If you are going to spend 2 dollars to provide a job earning 1 dollar, for example, why not give them some land to farm and spend that 1 dollar helping them. I don't care who is power. Administrations will come and go but it's always the poor who suffer.

GTAngler
@GTAngler posted:

It's always the same old bullshit. Who is to blame instead of finding solutions. I am also speaking about the ones who lost jobs. Why stick them in a money losing enterprise? I am sure they can be retrained to do other things. If you are going to spend 2 dollars to provide a job earning 1 dollar, for example, why not give them some land to farm and spend that 1 dollar helping them. I don't care who is power. Administrations will come and go but it's always the poor who suffer.

Good summation.  No need to blame the PNC.  It's the PPP's problem now and I will ensure that the poor are taken care of.

R

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.