Skip to main content

1 dead, 1 critically injured in shooting near Queens mosque

OZONE PARK, Queens — One man is dead and another in critical condition after they were shot on their walk home from services at a Queens mosque Saturday afternoon.

The shooting happened in the vicinity of Liberty Avenue and 79th Street in Ozone Park.

Sources say the two men were walking  home from services at Al-Furqan Jame Masjid Mosque on Glenmore Avenue.

According to sources, a man walked over to the men and allegedly shot them both.

One of the victims is reportedly the head imam, the person who runs services, at the mosque.

Sources say one person was pronounced dead at the scene. The other is in critical condition.

“I’m really upset and angry,” said Millat Uddin, who knew the victims. Uddin described them as good, pious people.

Police sources say the motive appears to be a robbery.

The suspect was last seen wearing a dark blue shirt and carrying a large handgun, police sources say.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Pointblank posted:

OZONE PARK, Queens — One man is dead and another in critical condition after they were shot on their walk home from services at a Queens mosque Saturday afternoon.

The shooting happened in the vicinity of Liberty Avenue and 79th Street in Ozone Park.

Sources say the two men were walking  home from services at Al-Furqan Jame Masjid Mosque on Glenmore Avenue.

According to sources, a man walked over to the men and allegedly shot them both.

One of the victims is reportedly the head imam, the person who runs services, at the mosque.

Sources say one person was pronounced dead at the scene. The other is in critical condition.

“I’m really upset and angry,” said Millat Uddin, who knew the victims. Uddin described them as good, pious people.

The suspect was last seen wearing a dark blue shirt and carrying a large handgun, police sources say.

To All the Muslim haters here. Lest hear your excuses for the piece of $hit that did this.

Pointblank
Pointblank posted:
Pointblank posted:

To All the Muslim haters here. Lest hear your excuses for the piece of $hit that did this.

This is total disrespect for the family of the deceased, and to all of us on GNI. You should not be the one to post this story with that attitude of yours. A life is a life. You have no frigging right to call anyone haters.

FM
Prince posted:
Pointblank posted:
Pointblank posted:

This is total disrespect for the family of the deceased, and to all of us on GNI. You should not be the one to post this story with that attitude of yours. A life is a life. You have no frigging right to call anyone haters.

To you a muslim life is not worth anything so dont come here with your fake sympathy

Pointblank
Pointblank posted:
Prince posted:
Pointblank posted:
Pointblank posted:

To you a muslim life is not worth anything so dont come here with your fake sympathy

You are not qualified to speak on behalf of any Muslim. I haven't seen anything righteous about you. Who gave you this frigging authority?

FM

Unfortunately, you wouldn't see the uprising in picture above against terrorist and ISIS for beheading christian children, raping mothers and hanging fathers because they are of different faith. The Hindus minority in Bangladesh are living in constant fear of the Muslim majority. These people teck them rass and pass Donald Trump for speaking the bloody truth.

FM

The Al-Furqan Jame Masjid mosque in Ozone Park, where the victims had just left after afternoon prayer.

The Al-Furqan Jame Masjid mosque in Ozone Park, where the victims had just left after afternoon prayer.

(David Wexler/For New York Daily News)

Khairul Islam Kukon, 33, surrounded by other members of the Al-Furqan, Jame Masjid, Inc. mosque, leads a chant against Donald Trump after his imam was killed in Ozone Park, Queens.

Khairul Islam Kukon, 33, surrounded by other members of the Al-Furqan, Jame Masjid, Inc. mosque, leads a chant against Donald Trump after his imam was killed in Ozone Park, Queens.

(David Wexler/For New York Daily News)

Local residents described the imam as a pious, well-respected member of the community. Akongi was leaving for Bangladesh in 10 day to attend his son’s wedding, and was head of the local mosque for four years, said Ahmed Zakria, a member of the mosque.

FM
Pointblank posted:
Pointblank posted:

You are fortunate to be given the opportunity to write on this site, but DON'T ever use the death of fellow human to express your Dirty Hate.

K
Prince posted:

Unfortunately, you wouldn't see the uprising in picture above against terrorist and ISIS for beheading christian children, raping mothers and hanging fathers because they are of different faith. The Hindus minority in Bangladesh are living in constant fear of the Muslim majority. These people teck them rass and pass Donald Trump for speaking the bloody truth.

like i said before "To you a Muslim life is not worth anything" it didnt take long for your hatred of Muslims to come out here and on the other thread

Pointblank
kp posted:
Pointblank posted:
Pointblank posted:

You are fortunate to be given the opportunity to write on this site, but DON'T ever use the death of fellow human to express your Dirty Hate.

the truth hurts.

Pointblank
Pointblank posted:
Prince posted:

like i said before "To you a Muslim life is not worth anything" it didnt take long for your hatred of Muslims to come out here and on the other thread

How can you say that? There are lots of beautiful muslim women around. Are you telling us that their lives are not worth anything? You talkin' without any logic and reason here.

FM

Just heard about this for today is my Dad 82nd birthday and I took him and Mummy to the top of the Empire State Building.

Now at a restauraunt and one of my dear friend (hIndu) from California text to tell me to be careful.

Chief
Chief posted:

Just heard about this for today is my Dad 82nd birthday and I took him and Mummy to the top of the Empire State Building.

Now at a restauraunt and one of my dear friend (hIndu) from California text to tell me to be careful.

Be careful of what?

FM
Chief posted:

Be careful of What?

How dare you?

Every Muslim life is at risk with the help of what Donald Trump is preaching.

Chief, how does every New Yorker know you are a Muslim? Do you wear Muslim garb and a beard? Come one, give us a break. Do you have MUSLIM written across your fore head?

FM
seignet posted:

Bai, the report said ROBBERY.

What was the person attempting to steal? Could it be the wonderful polyester kurta and pajama that they wear or maybe it was those wonderful over-worn slippers they so famously wear. I can see how jewelry adorned these people are.

FM

According to a report: Police say witnesses described the shooter of 55-year-old Imam Maulama Akonjee and 64-year-old Thara Uddin as a man with a medium complexion, last seen wearing a dark shirt and blue shorts. Police released a sketch early Sunday of a dark-haired, bearded man wearing glasses.

FM

Just got off the phone with one of our community leaders.

A host of politicians are heading over there for our mid day prayers which is at 1.30 at that Masjid.

I am debating if I should go over for I have quite a lot of work to do, leaving for vacation next week.

Chief
skeldon_man posted:
Chief posted:

Be careful of What?

How dare you?

Chief, how does every New Yorker know you are a Muslim? Do you wear Muslim garb and a beard? Come one, give us a break. Do you have MUSLIM written across your fore head?

Chief looks like a Hindu. He should go back to his roots. 

Mars
Last edited by Mars
skeldon_man posted:
Chief posted:

Be careful of What?

How dare you?

The more some of you open your mouth the more you sound ignorant.

At this time I am keeping a beard, sometimes I shave it off as well.

Most Imams carry a beard and wear a gown and many of our women folks wear the hijab. Did you look at the Olympics, dis you the see the American Muslim fencer?

Chief
Last edited by Chief
Mars posted:
skeldon_man posted:
Chief posted:

Be careful of What?

How dare you?

Chief look like a Hindu. He should go back to his roots. 

Always proud of my roots but happy to believe in One God!

Chief
Chief posted:
Mars posted:
skeldon_man posted:
Chief posted:

Be careful of What?

How dare you?

Whether you believe in one god or many doesn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. It's all imaginary anyway so who cares? You're not superior to someone who believes in many gods or no gods. What makes a man a real man  is his actions not how many gods he worships.

Mars
Last edited by Mars
Chief posted:
skeldon_man posted:
Chief posted:

Be careful of What?

How dare you?

The more some of you open your mouth the more you sound ignorant.

At this time I am keeping a beard, sometimes I shave it off as well.

Most Imams carry a beard and wear a gown and many of our women folks wear the hijab. Did you look at the Olympics, dis you the see the American Muslim fencer?

Do you know that Hindus, Christians, Jews wear beards? I did not know that the beard thing is only reserved for Muslims. So you are saying that because you grow a beard, you are worried that people will see you as a Muslim. God help us if every male wearing a beard is targeted as a Muslim.

FM
Mars posted:
Chief posted:
Mars posted:
skeldon_man posted:
Chief posted:

Be careful of What?

How dare you?

Whether you believe in one god or many doesn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. It's all imaginary anyway so who cares? You're not superior to someone who believes in many gods or no gods. What makes a man a real man  is his actions not how many gods he worships.

In the 60s we became Christians but my dad remained Hindu.  We had christian services at home and my dad did his Hindu services (jhandis) annually. The christian neighbors said this family worships 2 gods and are prospering in life, we better start doing jhandis too.  It was so funny!  

FM

There must be something about beards, pious people allow their beards to be ungroomed-sikhs, orthodox jews and othodox hindus, nomadic muslims of every color, race and creed. Along with the ISIS guys.

Groomed beards are not pious attributes, it is more like attributing character to the face, And many men do this of all faiths and races. Is like building an altar to the worship of God with chiseled stones, rocks or granite. Once fashioned, it becomes an idol.

S

Din know the murdered were from a Bangladesh mosque. Lately, that grouping of muslims are in some gruesome machette killings in the homeland. Now, the shooting of foreigners in Bangladesh has an Ontario resident of Bangladeshi background being held for questioning. They turning out be as crazy as ISIS, coping the commands of their inspirational masters. 

S
skeldon_man posted:

Do you know that Hindus, Christians, Jews wear beards? I did not know that the beard thing is only reserved for Muslims. So you are saying that because you grow a beard, you are worried that people will see you as a Muslim. God help us if every male wearing a beard is targeted as a Muslim.

Again I will pardon your ignorance.

It is documented that Sikh men who wore beards were attacked more than any other set of men after 9/11.

Chief
Mr.T posted:

What's the big deal? Far more blacks get murdered in the US everyday.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PNC behind this. The chapter out of Brooklyn targeting Indo Guyanese,  a case of mistaken identity? 

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.