Word for today

Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Jungle Girl:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Django:

GAREE

it's a car

Forgive my ignorance, what language is this? 

Hindi words spoken in Guyana from the Bhojpuri dialect

of Eastern UP and Bihar.

 

Thanks for that (what is UP), never heard this and I grew up in Berbice. Thought y'all had joined Ronald in lala land.

Originally Posted by Tola:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Tola:
Originally Posted by Django:

Bhandara

A thatched roof shelter ?

hint..wedding house

The coconut branch/bamboo 'tent' made for weddings.

With the middle bamboo where the wedding takes place.

 

Or place where they cook/store the food  at weddings.

 

That name is familiar. 

What is the word for dead house? Honestly in Canje they just called it wedding house and dead house ....... at least in our street.

Originally Posted by Jungle Girl:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Jungle Girl:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Django:

GAREE

it's a car

Forgive my ignorance, what language is this? 

Hindi words spoken in Guyana from the Bhojpuri dialect

of Eastern UP and Bihar.

 

Thanks for that (what is UP), never heard this and I grew up in Berbice. Thought y'all had joined Ronald in lala land.

Uttar Pradesh
Indian state
Uttar Pradesh is a state in northern India. Its city of Agra is home to the iconic Taj Mahal monument, a colossal, domed, white-marble mausoleum honoring the wife of Mughal ruler Shah Jahan. Named Mumtaz Mahal, she died in childbirth in 1631. Nearby are the 20m-high, red-brick walls of Agra Fort, a Mughal fortress and palace dating to the 16th and 17th centuries.
Originally Posted by skeldon_man:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by skeldon_man:

KHARYAN...associated with rice.

Area used to shred rice from stalks,when mashing

with bulls you does get eye turn.

Like alyu bin plant rice? Later on they had tractors doing the mashing.

My grandparents had three acre rice land,me grow up there

in me lil days,i recalled sayin gwan..gwan to the bulls round

and around.Bull power and manual labor was used in those days.

Originally Posted by Jungle Girl:
Originally Posted by Tola:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Tola:
Originally Posted by Django:

Bhandara

A thatched roof shelter ?

hint..wedding house

The coconut branch/bamboo 'tent' made for weddings.

With the middle bamboo where the wedding takes place.

 

Or place where they cook/store the food  at weddings.

 

That name is familiar. 

What is the word for dead house? Honestly in Canje they just called it wedding house and dead house ....... at least in our street.

dead house

Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Tola:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Tola:
Originally Posted by Django:

Bhandara

A thatched roof shelter ?

hint..wedding house

The coconut branch/bamboo 'tent' made for weddings.

With the middle bamboo where the wedding takes place.

 

Or place where they cook/store the food  at weddings.

 

That name is familiar. 

answer highlighted.

Do I win a VW wid no pollution problems ?

Originally Posted by Asha:
Originally Posted by Jungle Girl:
Originally Posted by Tola:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Tola:
Originally Posted by Django:

Bhandara

A thatched roof shelter ?

hint..wedding house

The coconut branch/bamboo 'tent' made for weddings.

With the middle bamboo where the wedding takes place.

 

Or place where they cook/store the food  at weddings.

 

That name is familiar. 

What is the word for dead house? Honestly in Canje they just called it wedding house and dead house ....... at least in our street.

dead house

Thanks Asha and wedding house is called a 'married house'.

 

I could  do anything right now, for seven curries wid rice on a puren leaf, wid achar on de side, while  sitting on a log on the ground.

 

Goruma and puri later, while me chatay me finga.       

Originally Posted by Tola:
Originally Posted by ball:

Now the word is CHATAY

Drinking milk directly from  a cow.

I think it is when you 'lick' the plate clean, with your tongue, after you eat dhall and rice and bunjal chicken....well, really, any kind of Guyanese foods because they are sooooo delish!!

 

some folks does even chatay dem fingers!

Originally Posted by Villagebelle:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Villagebelle:

CHURIYA

type of ear rings

methinks they are bangles....the ones with the open end and a little 'knob' at each end?

My bad you are correct they are bangles.

Originally Posted by Villagebelle:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Villagebelle:

CHURIYA

type of ear rings

methinks they are bangles....the ones with the open end and a little 'knob' at each end?

Me Ma had two ah those, about quata-inch thick, solid gold and mus cost a fortune dese days.

They were not smooth, but plaited like its done to hair, wid knobs at each end. She used a tooth brush to clean them.    

Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Villagebelle:
Originally Posted by Django:
Originally Posted by Villagebelle:

GALAYHAR

 necklace

 

Django.....I just love this galayhar.....and the jhumka earrings !

Get hubby to take out the check book.

Me jus photograph a Hindi/Punjabi wedding and this jewellery was included, directly from India.

Mara's daughter had a similar wedding in Vancouver. Errol and wife were also there.   

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×
×