Crime Tracker Guyana, since May 2015

Gunmen attack couple, escape with car


At around 20:30 hrs on Sunday, three gunmen attacked a young couple at Grove, East Bank Demerara, and escaped with the Toyota Premio motorcar that the female had borrowed from her mother to run an errand. The vehicle bears registration number, PPP 6167.
Nikita Khan said that she and her husband had just got home and were taking some items into the yard when three armed men attacked them. Her husband was gun-butted.
“We had borrowed the car from my mother to go by a relative up the East Coast, so we came home to empty the car to take it back,” Khan recalled. She added that her husband started taking items into their yard and she subsequently joined him.
“I took some things into the garage and when I look out I see someone with my husband and I thought it was a friend helping him out, but then I saw the gun,” Khan recounted. She said that the men took her husband’s phone and cash and drove away with the car.
“One of them pushed his hand in my husband’s pocket and collected the car keys and gone with the car,” she noted.
A report was made to the Grove Police Station.
Two Mondays ago, Deputy Superintendent Lonsdale Withrite, who was heading the Guyana Police Force’s SWAT team, was attacked at gunpoint by three men, who hijacked his car. The officer, who was subsequently moved from his post, also lost his service revolver in the robbery which occurred at Industry, East Coast Demerara seawall.
The vehicle was subsequently found abandoned at Ogle Airport road.
On September 16, last, a Guyana Defence Force Lance Corporal, Pernell Gordon, said that he was a victim of a carjacking. He recalled seeing two men waving for a taxi at Providence, East Bank Demerara, and decided to pick them up.
He said that the men asked to be stopped off at Second Bridge, Mocha. When he arrived at the destination, he saw two other men standing on the bridge. Gordon said that he stopped to drop off his passengers and the two men approached his vehicle and snatched the keys while the other three tried to block him from escaping.
However, the rank said he managed to exit the vehicle after the men relieved him of his wallet, licence, and valuables. They escaped with his Toyota Premio, licence plate PVV 7706.
Early in September, gunmen assaulted a 65-year-old taxi driver, after which they made off with his Toyota Premio which he hired to operate as a taxi at Kitty Public Road, Georgetown.
Percy Busey, a driver attached to Eddy’s Taxi Service, had arrived in Kitty in the car bearing registration PRR 3295, to pick up a passenger. He said that he was at the time reversing on the Kitty roadway while awaiting the arrival of his passenger when two men pounced on him.
According to Busey, one of the men held a gun to his head and threatened to shoot him if he did not comply with their demands, while the other opened the door and attempted to drag him out by his shirt. He was hit in the face by the men who then escaped with the car and the victim’s valuables.

No bail for duo accused of stealing $25M in items from ‘Chicka D’


Two men who allegedly broke into the ‘Chicka D’ restaurant and carted off over $25M in articles, were yesterday remanded to prison by Principal Magistrate Judy Latchman after they made an appearance in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.
Forty-seven-year-old handyman Seon Clarke, and 41-year-old Gary Grant, a mechanic of Lot 24 Norton Street, Lodge, Georgetown, both denied the charge which alleged that between September 20 and October 5 at Vlissengen Road, Georgetown, they broke and entered the ‘Chicka D’ restaurant and stole one ice cream machine valued $2M and other items, totalling $25.2 M, property of Deonarine Singh.
It was further alleged that on the same day in question, Clarke behaved in a disorderly manner and assaulted a police detective who attempted to arrest him.
Police Prosecutor Adunni Inniss objected to bail being granted to the defendants citing the serious nature of the offence and the penalty the charges attract.
Facts presented by the prosecutor stated that on October 6, police received information about a burglary and when they showed up at the restaurant they observed the defendants inside.
The court heard that when a police officer attempted to arrest Clarke, he pulled out a knife and made an attempt to stab him. The man then dealt the police officer several punches to the face and fled. The prosecutor added that both men were apprehended by public-spirited persons who chased after them.
The prosecutor’s objection was upheld by the magistrate and both defendants were remanded to prison.
Clarke was also ordered to post $60,000 bail on the assault charge.
Both men were instructed to make their next court appearance on October 30.

NY-based Guyanese remanded for guns and ammunition


An overseas-based Guyanese, who was being investigated after officials at the Guyana National Shipping Corporation (GNSC) found two high-powered guns and matching ammunition, stashed in bike parts in a barrel at the wharf, during

Dwayne Phillips

a customs check, was yesterday remanded to prison on two charges of illegal gun and ammunition possession.
Forty-five-year-old Dwayne Phillips, of 77 Robb Street, Bourda, Georgetown, appeared before Chief Magistrate, Ann McLennan in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts, and denied the charge which alleged that between January 1, 2016 and July 11, 2017 at GNSC wharf, Lombard Street, he had one 9mm Glock pistol and one 9mm Taurus pistol in his possession when he was not a licenced firearm holder.
It was further alleged that between January 1 and July 11 at the same wharf, he had in his possession 56 rounds of 9mm ammunition, when he was not a licenced firearm holder.
Phillips was represented by Attorney-at-Law, Keoma Griffith. The lawyer asked that his client be released on bail. He told the court that Phillips is a driver in the United States and he came to Guyana to visit his 10 children. The attorney said his client had cooperated fully during the investigations.
Police Prosecutor, Arvin Moore objected to bail being granted to the defendant citing the serious nature and prevalence of the offence as well as the penalty the change attracts.
The prosecutor also told the court that if bail is granted to the defendant he would not return to the court for the trial.
Phillips was then remanded and instructed to make his next court appearance on October 16. According to reports, the barrel was shipped to Guyana from Brooklyn, New York, and the guns and several rounds of matching ammunition were found stashed in bike parts.

Businessman shot dead at Kitty hotel


The proprietor of a popular Durban Street, Georgetown restaurant was on Thursday afternoon fatally shot during the course of an alleged robbery outside a hotel in Kitty, Georgetown.

Godfrey Scipio

Dead is 64-year-old Godfrey Scipio, called “Saga”. Guyana Times was told that “Saga” was swiftly rushed to a private city hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.
According to information received, Scipio was leaving the hotel where his car was parked when he was accosted by a lone gunman on a motorcycle. While details surrounding the shooting remain sketchy, this publication was told that Scipio was shot at least once about the body. This newspaper understands that the dead man’s son arrived in Guyana earlier on Thursday to visit his parents.
When Guyana Times arrived at the private city hospital, undertakers were taking Scipio’s body to the mortuary. It was at this point that relatives positively identified their loved one which spurred sporadic outbursts of screams, with nephews and nieces shouting and questioning “why” he was killed. Speaking to this publication, a relative expressed confusion over what occurred, saying that they were trying to gather information on the shooting. This is not the first time that Scipio was shot. In April 2011, he was injured during a shootout at Cummings Lodge, Greater Georgetown when four armed men had discharged rounds.
Up to press time, information regarding the circumstances surrounding his killing was still being gathered as Police investigators hunted the possible suspects

Police shoot bandit after Parika supermarket robbery


…accomplice also in custody

Police in the D Division (West Bank Demerara-East Bank Essequibo) are investigating a robbery which left one teenager shot after the young man and his accomplice stormed a Parika, East Bank Essequibo (EBE) Chinese supermarket on Wednesday evening in an attempt to raid the business establishment.

The two perpetrators who were taken into custody7

This is according to Divisional Commander Leslie James, who told Guyana Times that at about 20:00h, two teenagers entered the Golden World Supermarket located at Lot 302 Parika Highway, EBE, just as the proprietor was in the process of closing up her entity. It was then that they processed to carry out the act.
The businesswoman who was identified as Li Lou, reported to Police that just moments later, one of the young men whipped out a gun and pointed it at her, while instructing his accomplice to empty the cash register. After securing an undisclosed sum of cash and a quantity of cellphone cards, the duo then fled the scene.
Without hesitation, Luo ran over to the Parika Police Station, which is located in close proximity to her establishment, and related what transpired. Police responded promptly, resulting in them pursuing the suspects into the vicinity of Bushy Park, and after failing to heed warnings, one of the young men was shot and taken into custody.
During interrogation at the Parika outpost, the injured bandit, who is said to be a 17-year-old Zeelugt resident, revealed the names of two other accomplices. This led to a continued search within the same area, during which the ranks were able to zoom in on and arrest another 17-year-old perpetrator who was found hiding in a ditch and covered in mud.
The injured Zeelugt bandit was taken for medical attention while remaining under Police guard, whereas his accomplice is still in custody, assisting with investigations.
Meanwhile, the Commander told this publication that the weapon used in the attack was retrieved but is believed to be a toy. As such, a ballistics test is being conducted.

Queenstown dentist robbed at gunpoint


A 31-year-old dentist of Anira Street, Queenstown, Georgetown was in the wee hours of Wednesday held at gunpoint and robbed as he was about to enter his yard.
Police investigations revealed that at about 02:30h, the victim was walking into his yard when the two armed men attacked him from behind. One of them held him at gunpoint and ordered him onto the ground, while the unarmed suspect conducted a search on his person.
He was subsequently relieved of his mobile phone, cash and other valuables. During the ordeal, the gunman discharged a round into the air after which they made good their escape on foot towards the seawall.
No arrests have been made as Police continue their investigations.

2 nabbed at city hotel with unlicensed gun, ammo


Two men were taken into Police custody following a raid at a city hotel on Thursday, during which a .38 special revolver and six matching rounds were unearthed.
Based on reports received, Police, acting on information, swooped down on the hotel and conducted searches on the two men.
Apart from the gun and ammunition, a handcuff and six mobile phones were also found in their possession. They are assisting police with investigations.

The gun and ammo among other items which were found by the Police

On Wednesday, during a press briefing, acting Police Commissioner David Ramnarine disclosed that the Guyana Police Force has recorded a 33 per cent increase in robbery with violence but at the same time a nine per cent decrease in serious crimes.
He also noted that murders have decreased by 13 per cent, while there has been a 15 per cent decrease in robbery under arms, a six per cent decrease in robbery under arms with the use of other instruments, and an 8.5 per cent decrease in rape.

Mabaruma lime ends in attempted murder charge


A planned ‘hang-out’ at the Kumaka Waterfront in Mabaruma, Region One went awry and resulted in Jermaine McDonald being slapped with an attempted murder charge following a fight.
McDonald was on Thursday arraigned before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on an allegation that on October 8, at Kumaka Waterfront in Mabaruma, he unlawfully and maliciously wounded Mario Gomes with intent to murder him.
The court heard that McDonald is a father of two, with a fixed place of abode in Melanie Damishana, East Coast Demerara (ECD).
Prosecutor Arvin Moore detailed that Mc Donald battered Gomes with a beer bottle, rendering him unconscious and causing him to be hospitalised at the Mabaruma Regional Hospital, from whence he was transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC), where he remains in a critical condition.
However, defence counsel for the accused indicated that the complainant was hit with a wood, and not a bottle. Counsel contended that McDonald was the one who had suffered injuries from the impact of a blow delivered by Gomes with a bottle.
McDonald was refused bail in light of the seriousness and gravity of the offence and the critical condition of the VC. The case will continue before the Mabaruma magistrate on November 21.

Baby boy and girl 12 sodomised


-girl’s step-dad, mother, relative in custody,

The Childcare and Protection Agency and police are probing two separate cases of sexual abuse, in which a 12-year-old girl and a two-year-old boy were sodomised by close relatives.
The attacks on the victims were so severe that both had to undergo medical treatment. The two-year-old remains hospitalised.
The girl’s stepfather and another male relative have reportedly been sodomising her, with her mother’s consent, for over a year, ever since she was eleven.
The two men and the girl’s mother, have been in custody since Friday. Reports indicate that the mother was herself repeatedly sodomised by her partner. She reportedly suggested that the partner turn his attention to her daughter.
The suspects are likely to appear in court on Monday.
Describing the case as ‘sickening’, Childcare officials confirmed that they are also probing the rape of a two-year-old boy, allegedly by his great-grandmother’s partner.
The matter was reported by the victim’s mother. Kaieteur News understands that the alleged culprit has gone into hiding, even as the infant remains hospitalised.

Driver chopped to death, father’s fingers hacked off

  • in brawl over banana plants

A driver was brutally murdered while his father is in a critical condition after a man went berserk, chopping them during an argument over some banana plants at Cane Grove, East Coast Demerara yesterday.
Dead is Harrinarine Ramawaj, 31, a driver of Estate Road, Cane Grove, East Coast Demerara.
His father, Chanderpaul Ramawaj, 59, had two of his fingers hacked off during the brawl.
Investigations revealed that the man and his father went to their cash crop farm—which has been in operation for over 40 years—where they discovered some of their banana plants damaged and a wooden structure erected. A 43-year-old labourer of Sawah, Cane Grove East Coast Demerara, was in the structure.
An argument broke out between the farmer and the labourer, who dealt them several chops about their bodies.
Harrinarine and his father were rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation, where Harrinarine succumbed.
The suspect, who sustained injuries during the confrontation was treated at the Mahaicony Cottage Hospital and taken into custody.

Add Reply

Likes (0)