Skip to main content

The Govt should not be just spending 300 million for their 50th anniversary they should round it to a nice sum of 500million. They should then print up millions of red tshirts and announce free chicken. All dem boys black ,brown, white, yella, purple, navy blue, orange, all a dem would party like there's no tomorrow.

cain
Cobra posted:

$9 Billion for Guysuco, PPP whiners complain.

Django, you teck you eyes and pass people to call them whiners. You boy Moses said in NYC that $12 billion will go to Guysuco and the finance minister declared $9 Billion. Either Moses is always misinformed of he's liar as usual. 

Oww bhai GUYSUCO will be getting $9 billion,you know politicians don't get the numbers right,how you bhai BJ does quote the billions of dollars when he does talk.

Me nah tek me eye and pass nobody,the complain was too much suh me choose the word.

Django
Django posted:
Cobra posted:

$9 Billion for Guysuco, PPP whiners complain.

Django, you teck you eyes and pass people to call them whiners. You boy Moses said in NYC that $12 billion will go to Guysuco and the finance minister declared $9 Billion. Either Moses is always misinformed of he's liar as usual. 

Oww bhai GUYSUCO will be getting $9 billion,you know politicians don't get the numbers right,how you bhai BJ does quote the billions of dollars when he does talk.

Me nah tek me eye and pass nobody,the complain was too much suh me choose the word.

ok   i saw someone else use the word whiners. I ain't ready fuh he yet.   

FM
seignet posted:
RiffRaff posted:

SUgar dead....

9 billion being wasted

300 millon is better spent to attract tourists

In economics, one has to view the whole picture. By giving Guysuco 12 billion, does that generate an overall deficit for the country's revenue. It is better to spend the 12 billion and keep people employed.  But, then the government has to move its rear end and find ALTERNATIVES. And damn QUICK. 

https://guyana.crowdstack.io/topic/ag...n-drive-job-creation

"Additionally, plans are underway for the development of 4,000 acres of state lands situated in Region Nine for the purpose of constructing an agriculture station. This station will serve as a pilot for the sustainable harvesting of surface water for agriculture in this region. The land will be utilised for the rearing of cattle and small ruminants; aquaculture; and planting of rice and vegetables."

Siege this is a big project the govt planning in Region 9.

Django

REMINDER: In 2008 the PPP regime of President Bharrat Jagdeo spent $1 Billion or $1,000 Million to host Carifesta in Guyana. According to the Auditor-General's Report, that mammoth sum of money was insufficiently accounted for. In other words, there are still question marks on how $$millions were used up. 

I maintain that Guyana's economy will benefit greatly from the $300 Million expenditure for its 50th Anniversary celebrations. Thousands of overseas-based Guyanese are planning to travel back home and some have already booked flights.

Hotels and restaurants will rake in big cash and they will increase orders to locals for the supply of more chicken, beef, pork, fish, prawns, rice, chowmein, fruits and vegetables, etc. Not forgetting local rum, beer, vodka, whisky and soft drinks. Taxi drivers' services will be in high demand. Guyanese are sure to get some cash and goodies from their visiting relatives. Public servants will receive their salary increases in time for the celebrations as negotiations with the PSU and TUC are currently in progress. That translates to more money in circulation and more sales revenue for businesses

And, don't forget, those thousands of visitors will have to pay CJIA airport tax before they fly out, thus increasing the government's tax revenue.

FM
Gman posted:

All my fiends told me they are skipping Guyana until crime rate has significantly drop. So even if its free Curry Gilbakka,stew Gilbakka fried Gilbakka or Gilbakka on peas they dont. 

Not a problem, friend. There is no government in the world that gets the support of all the people in national events.

And, yes, I am optimistic that Gilbakka sales will skyrocket in May. Fishermen and fishing boat owners must prepare for the big catch. They won't be around for the 100th Independence Anniversary.

FM
Mr.T posted:

The Wales sugar farmers have had years of free money for sugar that is next to worthless. The rive farmers are private business owners. Why should they get money for nothing? No wonder the country is in such poor financial state. The PPP just wants to hand out money.

T, why didn't you say that about The APNU/AFC who gave themselves huge increases for doing nothing. If they should get money for nothing, then why should Lindeners get electricity for nothing? Is what you on dope or drugs?

FM

The PNC is using the 50th Independence Anniversary to celebrate their stolen victory of power. Their intention is to take power by the horn beyond 2020. We will never see free and fair election again. The Commingsberg Accord will expire on February of 2020. By then, the PNC will have no obligation to the AFC, and Moses and Ramjattan will be kicked out. Granger wanted his own people who he can trust to be in his party. When all is said and done, the PNC will be back in full force. You must remember one thing: Who help to put them there?

Warning! 

1. The participants of this celebration will be celebration all released criminals and the (Independence Batch in process to be released).

2. You will be celebrating while poverty and hunger is NOT an priority of this government.

3. You will be celebrating the murders, rape and robbery on the poor Indians that is now considered third class citizens of Guyana under PNC.

4. You will be celebrating the raping of our national treasury at a time when 1700 workers will force to beg to feed their families.

5. You will be celebrating the high rate of unemployment that push young and old people to the limit to commit suicide, turn to drugs and alcohol with no treatment to cure them.

1. Would you want these thing to be on your conscience?

A patriotic son or daughter DON'T have to agree with government to rape the treasury.

A patriotic son or daughter is one that helps to  PROTECT OUR NATION TREASURY from squandering and sympathized with item 1-5 about. 

Folks, please don't let people fool you about national pride. They have a political agenda and they are working toward that agenda.

FM
Gilbakka posted:

REMINDER: In 2008 the PPP regime of President Bharrat Jagdeo spent $1 Billion or $1,000 Million to host Carifesta in Guyana. According to the Auditor-General's Report, that mammoth sum of money was insufficiently accounted for. In other words, there are still question marks on how $$millions were used up. 

I maintain that Guyana's economy will benefit greatly from the $300 Million expenditure for its 50th Anniversary celebrations. Thousands of overseas-based Guyanese are planning to travel back home and some have already booked flights.

Hotels and restaurants will rake in big cash and they will increase orders to locals for the supply of more chicken, beef, pork, fish, prawns, rice, chowmein, fruits and vegetables, etc. Not forgetting local rum, beer, vodka, whisky and soft drinks. Taxi drivers' services will be in high demand. Guyanese are sure to get some cash and goodies from their visiting relatives. Public servants will receive their salary increases in time for the celebrations as negotiations with the PSU and TUC are currently in progress. That translates to more money in circulation and more sales revenue for businesses

And, don't forget, those thousands of visitors will have to pay CJIA airport tax before they fly out, thus increasing the government's tax revenue.

ExxonMobil  paying for this dream.Remember the treasury  was empty.

K
Zed posted:

Was travelling all day so could now get to this. Django, are you suggesting that there is a moral equivalence between the spending to keep the sugar industry going and the spending for the independence celebrations? I am not even certain that there is an economic one and am certain that your comparison does not hold water.

Zed,"moral equivalence" may not be term applicable to what i am saying.On the same side of the fence they are complaining it's too much money to spend on the 50th anniversary of Independence the beneficiary will be the supporters of the Coalition because they like to party,my understanding is the whole country will be celebrating.

What is you take on the cost of the Independence celebrations.

The other amount of money this Gov't is pumping in to GUYSUCO,which in my view is too much of a burden for any third world government,benefits the 17,000 employees which is on the same side of the fence,no one complains.

Is it economical to keep subsidising GUYSUCO with the billions of dollars?

Awaiting your response.

Django
Last edited by Django

Django, regardless of which side of the fence people are on, they all need to recognize that independence was a major event in Guyana's development and history. Many will argue that the event was a positive move forward and some will argue the opposite. Those of the latter group will always oppose the spending of money on the independence celebration. Additionally, those currently opposed to the government will use whatever amount is spent or proposed to spend as an opportunity to attack the government. Economists will look at the cost benefits and opportunity costs to arrive at a judgment.

I am uncertain how much these things cost but $1.5 million is not a lot of money. But, as you know, for some any sum will be too much. They are right that the economy is in dire trouble inspite of what the minister of finance is saying., and that we have to priorize when we spend. They are wrong when they say that only one segment of society will be celebrating. They might have lost touch with how much things has changed in Guyana.

regardind the closure of Wales and the spending of US$45 million to subsidize the sugar industry, I do not know if I can add anything to the debate. My position is: first, this issue is about more than the 27000 employees of Guysuco. It is about whole communities facing serious economic and docial displacement and no none has really shown me to my satisfaction the macro economic effects of closing the industry both in the short term and  long term. It is more that quantification, numbers, it is also about qualitative data. Second. No decision by any government is just one based on cost or administrative or development priorities. There is always a political element in the decision-making matrix. The closure of Wales is a good example of this. Third, the government when in opposition blamed the PPP government for the problems in the sugar industry and indicated that better management will turn things around. Now, they are in power and find that the problems are not so easily solved. John Ralson Saul wrote about voltaire's bastards, that they think that all problems can be solved by a strategic plan, logic, etc. It in not so easy. But if we start from a position of saying how can we reorganize this industry so that it is efficient and at least break even, then viable solutions before apparent. If we start from the position that what exists now will always be, then the only solution becomes its closure. I have read some of the economists on the site saying that we need to transform the economy away from a dependence on commodity production, that we should have moved away from sugar production. Well, it is not so easy. They use their equations and grand theories, and fail to realize that there are many externalities that cannot be quantified, that the best plan falls apart as soon as the rubber hits the road. Why do you think that clive Thomas  was not given a major economic development portfolio. Many economists have never successfully implemented that which they expouse. 

The failure to modernize the sugar industry is a long one but since it has been nationalized, this has continued. The first big mistake was the pnc using the sugar levy to drain resources out of the industry, resources that should have been used to modernize the industry. Little did they realize that the loftydays of high sugar prices and guaranteed European markets will come to an end. Obviously the PPP added to the problem with poor decision making. Additionally, they were constrained by what the found when they came to power because of low foreign reserves, high debt rate, etc. They needed the sugar industry to continue producing so that they could have access to the foreign exchange to meet their obligations and the demand for horsing exchange to import. Certainly there was a political dimension.

so, not an easy decision and not as simple as so many make it out to be. The question then is "can we afford not to?"

have a good day. Sorry about my delayed response. I was weeding my yard this morning.

Z

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.