Skip to main content

In the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh, 700 brides at a mass wedding were presented with wooden bats and told to use them as weapons should their husbands become drunk or abusive.

The paddles are normally used for getting dirt out of clothes in traditional laundries, but those given out to the brides were stamped with pink and blue messages saying "a gift to keep drunks in check" and "police won't say anything".

At the ceremony in central India over the weekend, Gopal Bhargava, the minister of social justice and rural development, presented women with the bats and urged them to put them to use if necessary.

He said: “If your husband or any other member of family comes home drunk, treat him with it.” Mr Bhargava has ordered nearly 10,000 bats for distribution to newlywed women.

He explained that the purpose of the bats was to help rural women protect themselves as concerns over alcoholism mount in India.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...iven-wooden-paddles/

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In the case of wives killing the husband with bats, I wonder if these women will not be charged given the fact they are given the tools to defend themselves, by the Justice Minister?

cain
Last edited by cain

I recently return  from  a photo assignment in  Punjab and Rajastan, where we attended two weddings.

We stayed with a family in Ludhiana where the men were served meals first. Often the women afterwards ate from the same plate that was left by  the men. Even in Canada I noticed the same practice. Maybe the bonding of love, cause sharing from the same plate.

In India, I suggested that men  assist the women in cooking, so we can all sit together at the  table for  meals.

The women laughed uneasily  at the suggestion and my friendly guide  said , don't impose your culture on us.

Rass, it was like Guyana in de old days, until me  brothers start cooking dinner, under the guidance of our mother.

This was a good thing for me alone in Vancouver in the 1960's , or me rass would starve.   

Tola
Last edited by Tola
Ramakant-P posted:

This is not the way to solve the alcoholic problem.  It's a cop out.

actually, the paddle is not to solve the alcoholic problem, it's to beat the men who misbehave when they drunk or otherwise

FM
kp posted:

The bats are used for self defense.

KP

You need to clarify which one of the bats that you are speaking of. There are two bats in the article. One bat given to the women and then the men have their own bats (attached).

Which of the bats ?

FM
Last edited by Former Member

Attached bats could easily be beaten with one of those same paddles. Next thing we hear a banna got a piece of wood stuck in his bat and had to receive a tetanus shot for it. Then we hear about wood ants eating at their bats. Not a pretty sight.

cain
Leonora posted:

I salute this move. Good luck to the girls.

So, you support DV as long as it's the woman dishing it out!  Now, when you get the reaction, you cry foul!  DV should never be condoned, supported, aided or abetted in any form and by anyone, man or woman.  Anyone who supports DV in any form is as guilty of the person committing it!!

FM
Prashad posted:

Its a good thing the Keffer is a brown man in search of a White Arab Bride or else his behind would have beaten with a wooden paddle by a brown woman.

Prash, I have already gotten what I wanted; a Guyanese wife, so whatever is left is all at your disposal so help yourself, eh ! 

K

Doesnt matter..the balls even though could vary in size will all be of the same material, even a tennis racket would cause pain.

Even though we r joking and some of those fools who beat their wives deserve a sound thrashing, that is not something a Justice Minister should be doing.

cain
Last edited by cain
yuji22 posted:

Can Sunil please provide us with some more investigative reports about the bats given to the women. Are they softwood or hardwood bats ?

Yujji bhai, you know dem "beeta" the women beat clothes on the washing board? That's a heavy piece of bullet wood or wallaba wood. You get hit with one of those on your head, and you get a concussion for life.

FM
ba$eman posted:
Leonora posted:

So, you support DV as long as it's the woman dishing it out!  Now, when you get the reaction, you cry foul!  DV should never be condoned, supported, aided or abetted in any form and by anyone, man or woman.  Anyone who supports DV in any form is as guilty of the person committing it!!

wait...you never complained when the men doing it...now, the women get an opportunity, yuh bitch and moan

FM
RiffRaff posted:

wait...you never complained when the men doing it...now, the women get an opportunity, yuh bitch and moan

I just typed that, then saw your post. 

FM
RiffRaff posted:
ba$eman posted:
Leonora posted:

Did you conprehend my statement.  Read it again!

FM
ba$eman posted:
RiffRaff posted:
ba$eman posted:
Leonora posted:

Did you conprehend my statement.  Read it again!

Base, please forgive him, his comprehension skills are very basic.

FM
Leonora posted:
RiffRaff posted:

I just typed that, then saw your post. 

Listen woman, DV is a scourge that should never be condoned by anyone.  Read my statement and stretch your comprehension.  Two wrongs never make a right.  Both men and women and guilty of DV is differing ways.  No one, especially an institution, should promote DV on either side.  Violence begets violence.  Do you comprehend that?

FM

Maybe baseman and the other dummy should read the article...at least the Minister aint giving them guns to protect themselves

"He explained that the purpose of the bats was to help rural women protect themselves as concerns over alcoholism mount in India."

FM
Leonora posted:

Riff, he had only 8 words to you but a whole paragraph to me. Verbally beating me with the bat.   

That "listen woman" part was all you needed to know about his views

FM
RiffRaff posted:

Everyone reading GNI sees his chauvinistic views. He's scared of you but lashed out at me.   

FM

The Justice Min should have made dam sure women won't be beaten by making it law any husband beating their wives just because they feel like it to receive a whipping if and when found guilty. It still aint right for a Justice Min to do such a thing by putting women in a position of judge and executioner. In the not too distant future do not be surprised when we read of some of these women being injured or worse,killed with those same paddles after they tried using it on their husbands.

cain
cain posted:

The Justice Min should have made dam sure women won't be beaten by making it law any husband beating their wives just because they feel like it to receive a whipping if and when found guilty. It still aint right for a Justice Min to do such a thing by putting women in a position of judge and executioner. In the not too distant future do not be surprised when we read of some of these women being injured or worse,killed with those same paddles after they tried using it on their husbands.

Only a stupid individual, and we have them here,  would believe aiding and abetting violence from any side would make it better.  You are correct, such actions will create a reaction.  Riff's religion promotes hitting a wife as ok as long as no marks result.

Maybe Riff should marry Leonora, he take his Islamic whip and give her the Hindu paddle!  Do fuh do no obeah, suh deh seh!

FM
Leonora posted:
RiffRaff posted:

Everyone reading GNI sees his chauvinistic views. He's scared of you but lashed out at me.   

You truly lack some basic comprehension.  I chided you for supporting violence of women against men and saying neither is right and should be avoided and that makes me a chauvinist!  Well, what does your support for such violence make you?  Or is that also beyond your comprehension band with?

FM
RiffRaff posted:
Leonora posted:

Riff, he had only 8 words to you but a whole paragraph to me. Verbally beating me with the bat.   

Listen boy, isn't she a woman!

FM
ba$eman posted:
cain posted:

Only a stupid individual, and we have them here,  would believe aiding and abetting violence from any side would make it better.  You are correct, such actions will create a reaction.  Riff's religion promotes hitting a wife as ok as long as no marks result.

Maybe Riff should marry Leonora, he take his Islamic whip and give her the Hindu paddle!  Do fuh do no obeah, suh deh seh!

Base is this really true ? If so, then members of his religion has a lot of answering to do.

FM
Leonora posted:

I had more to say to you because you disappoint me.  As a woman, I find it hard to understand your support for DV knowing fully well hitting the man with a paddle will not be the end of that fight.  And in all likelihood, you can guess how it will end!

As for Riff, well he stupid and as a fullah man, his religion do support a husband beating his wife as long as no marks are left.  So promoting the Hindu woman beating her husband is just the flip side of his belief system!

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.