Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

Jim Reeves.jpg

JIM REEVES

July passed, but I cannot let August pass too without paying tribute to an American pop singer-songwriter who enjoyed an appreciable fan base in my native Guyana.

Jim Reeves died unexpectedly 50 years ago at age 40 in a plane crash. He was at the peak of his career in the prime of life.

For many years afterwards his mellow voice and heartfelt songs were heard on radio in Guyana. Many folks there had tape recordings and vinyl records of Jim Reeves' songs.

At the high school I attended in the 1960s, pupils sang his songs on stage at end-of-term assemblies. More girls chose to sing Jim Reeves than boys. His lyrics spoke eloquently for heartbroken lovers, distant lovers, hopeful lovers.

Had Gentleman Jim lived, he would have celebrated his 91st birthday 10 days ago.

To this day, his voice sounds clear and fresh as ever, and he still has lots of fans world wide.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Gilbakka:

Jim Reeves.jpg

JIM REEVES

July passed, but I cannot let August pass too without paying tribute to an American pop singer-songwriter who enjoyed an appreciable fan base in my native Guyana.

Jim Reeves died unexpectedly 50 years ago at age 40 in a plane crash. He was at the peak of his career in the prime of life.

For many years afterwards his mellow voice and heartfelt songs were heard on radio in Guyana. Many folks there had tape recordings and vinyl records of Jim Reeves' songs.

At the high school I attended in the 1960s, pupils sang his songs on stage at end-of-term assemblies. More girls chose to sing Jim Reeves than boys. His lyrics spoke eloquently for heartbroken lovers, distant lovers, hopeful lovers.

Had Gentleman Jim lived, he would have celebrated his 91st birthday 10 days ago.

To this day, his voice sounds clear and fresh as ever, and he still has lots of fans world wide.

Gil

I am an audiophile and still spin Vinyl Records. I spin his records every now and then.

"This world in not my home" is one of my favourites.

FM
Last edited by Former Member

What would make this thread more interesting is if my friend Gilbakka, who angrily ran away from the god thread, would share with readers that Jim Reeves wife left him for his best friend, and after that heart-break, many of his songs were sappy and sentimental, their lyrics reflected Jim's personal hurt.

HERE'S IS JIM SINGING TO HIS WIFE WHO LEFT HIM FOR HIS BEST FRIEND

Rev

FM
Originally Posted by Rev:

What would make this thread more interesting is if my friend Gilbakka, who angrily ran away from the god thread, would share with readers that Jim Reeves wife left him for his best friend, and after that heart-break, many of his songs were sappy and sentimental, their lyrics reflected Jim's personal hurt.

Rev

I don't know that Jim Reeves' wife left him for his best friend.

If she did, it was the best thing that ever happened to him.

What I know is that Jim Reeves was a baseball player before he started his singing career. He could have battered his best friend or his wife with his baseball bat but, being the perfect gentleman, he accepted his loss gracefully and moved on.

At the height of his popularity swarms of married women swooned for him but, you know what? He remained a gentleman and resisted temptation, declaring that he wasn't the cheating kind. Listen to what he said:

FM
Originally Posted by Gilbakka:

JIM REEVES

I am sure I still have a Jim Reeves record. 

I enjoy his songs. Sappy me!!

FM

HERE'S IS JIM SINGING TO HIS WIFE WHO LEFT HIM FOR HIS BEST FRIEND

Rev

Rev, it would be nice if you cite your source...

Gentleman Jim's wife & widow is Mary Reeves ... she was his wife until he died in 1964.

She remarried in 1969 to a Baptist Preacher - Terry Davis.

FM
Originally Posted by IGH:

Gentleman Jim's wife & widow is Mary Reeves ... she was his wife until he died in 1964.

IGH:

* Jim and Mary were never divorced. But at the time of his crash, they were estranged.

* But after Jim's death, the "loving, loyal and faithful" widow Mary took control of his music and she was quite a shrewd businesswoman.

* She rationed the release of his music---Jim Reeves had greater post-humous chart success than any other musician.

* Mary Reeves was pivotal in keeping Jim's music and memory alive---she deserves credit for that.

* But she and Jim were estranged but not divorced at the time of his death. I read that many years ago.

Rev

FM
Originally Posted by Stormborn:

If Percy sledge is the crying-est fellow; Reeves was the whiniest one. Percy is about stop the world...she is gone...Reeves is please... please come back!

At least Percy had come up beat or reflective songs. Jim whines from beginning to end. He is good accompaniment for dogs howling.

Have you ever heard of of Mexican Joe, Penny Candy, Bimbo and Younder comes a sucker.  Each one of those songs got a good beat I just don't know where howling and whines come in.

Wally
Originally Posted by Wally:

If Percy sledge is the crying-est fellow; Reeves was the whiniest one. Percy is about stop the world...she is gone...Reeves is please... please come back!

At least Percy had come up beat or reflective songs. Jim whines from beginning to end. He is good accompaniment for dogs howling.

Have you ever heard of of Mexican Joe, Penny Candy, Bimbo and Younder comes a sucker.  Each one of those songs got a good beat I just don't know where howling and whines come in.

Tell he deh Wally.

From Mexican Joe:

In old Mexico they call him the Rhumba King
Leads all the women around on a string
When they go out they get a million thrills
But the lovely senoritas wind up with the bills

Dancin', romancin', always on the go
Sun shining down on Mexican Joe

cain
Originally Posted by cain:

You need a good lash, you know dat? Say that about Bob Dylan not Gentleman Jim.

Dude anyone who wrote songs like  "Make you feel my love" to era demarcating  epics like "blowing in the wind" and "times are a changing" should not be compared to "My wife left me" "my dog ran away" and "now I got the blues". That is comparing Shakespeare to  Sundar Po Po!

FM

Yea!...hand me a tambourine and stamp out four fourth time....eeeeyaah, I am happy...not!

FM

Tell he deh Wally.

From Mexican Joe:

Now you are making me unhappy....I am going to get my Gibson and whine "I am so lonely I can cry! in G

FM

I was in Walmart recently and they are still selling the man's music both in the US and in Canada.

Did someone say walmart....hope you were in disguise so no one recognized you...psst! psst!... that is where most of  the shit.ty products are!

FM

Tell he deh Wally.

From Mexican Joe:

Now you are making me unhappy....I am going to get my Gibson and whine "I am so lonely I can cry! in G

This was one of the first one I learnt to strum in G...

G        G7                   C
Oh Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
      D7     G    C   G        Em       D    G D7
From glen to glen and down the mountain side
             G        G7                  C
The summer's gone and all the flowers are dying
     Am         G       D7            G    C G
It's you, It's you must go and I must bide
     D7     G         Cmaj7    D       G
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
    D7      Em       D/C        G/B        D    A7 D7
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
              G        C             G
Tis' I'll be there in sunshine or in shadow
Em       G       G/B   C      D        G  C G
Oh Danny Boy, oh Danny Boy, I love you so
    D7       G        G7                  C        
But when you come and all the flowers are dying
   D7   G     C   G      Em       D  G D7
If I am dead, and dead I well may be
                G        G7               C
You'll come and find the place where I am lying
     Am        G     D7            G  C G
And kneel and say an Ave there for me
    D7      G         D/A             G/B     G
And I shall hear tho' soft you tread above me
    D7     Em          D/C    G/B     D  A7 D7
And all my dreams will warmer sweeter be
               G       C                G       D Em
If you'll not fail to tell me that you love me
            G         G/B     C      D       G  C G
I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me
Mitwah
Originally Posted by IGH:

IGH:

* Jim and Mary were never divorced. But at the time of his crash, they were estranged.

* But after Jim's death, the "loving, loyal and faithful" widow Mary took control of his music and she was quite a shrewd businesswoman.

* She rationed the release of his music---Jim Reeves had greater post-humous chart success than any other musician.

* Mary Reeves was pivotal in keeping Jim's music and memory alive---she deserves credit for that.

* But she and Jim were estranged but not divorced at the time of his death. I read that many years ago.

Rev

Rev, citation, citation...

FM

HAHAHA, Errol me laddie howdy banna? Did you see what you posted Bob's songs...not Bob's singing....why is this? hehehehe

Bob's writings are great....he should have stopped there. Because of him other terrible singers are out there trying their darnest to make it saying "if he can, I can" some did make it such as, Neil Young.... 

cain
Last edited by cain

HAHAHA, Errol me laddie howdy banna? Did you see what you posted Bob's songs...not Bob's singing....why is this? hehehehe

Bob's writings are great....he should have stopped there. Because of him other terrible singers are out there trying their darnest to make it saying "if he can, I can" some did make it such as, Neil Young.... 

Bob is a muse....of the Grecian sort. He is inspiring in every way. Hi is to pop what Mozart is to the classics with lots more smart and likability.

You are going to make me mad with picking on Neil Young....go listen to "down by the river" if you need a revival to your music appreciation engine.

All this abuse of definitive rock gods in defense of "my wife" left me "my dog ran away" and now "I got the blues"!

FM

Just listened to some Kraftwerk,one of the young autistic lads in my music group loves Marley and of all Kraftwerk, this is a 6 yr old oriental lad.

No,I won't listen to Down by the river by NY, he whines, seriously banna, and you have the flippin nerve to pick on my man Jim Reeves. Look doan leh me and you coco doan boil yeh.

cain

ok ok  I like some of Neil's stuff, Rockin in the free world, and some of the techno thing he tried a while back

Any way you shape it, the man is a drone...droning, "my wife" left me "my dog ran away" and now "I got the blues""my wife" left me "my dog ran away" and now "I got the blues""my wife" left me "my dog ran away" and now "I got the blues""my wife" left me "my dog ran away" and now "I got the blues"...he is morose and monotonous....but you are allowed to like drones if that is your preference and taste.....

FM

Stormborn:  I couldn't agree with you more.  Jimbo needs to be retired for good!

Cainster:  You would love this one: it is about Bob Dylan's singing and is wonderfully hilarious.  It is sung by Eric Bogle, a Scotsman who migrated to Australia and loves Bob Dylan just as much as much as you do.  As he concludes: ""Just murder good prose and sing through  your nose and then you'll sing just like Bob Dylan"

I grudgingly agree with you both.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mOHvUUzgn0

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.