Skip to main content

Police say recorded 43% drop in murders at end of March compared to last year

By

The Guyana Police Force says it recorded a 3% decrease in serious crimes at the end of March, relative to the same period last year and this encompassed a 43% decrease in murder, with an 87% clear up rate.

In a statement yesterday, the police said there was a 7% hike in robberies where no instruments were used, with a 7% clear up rate; a 9% increase in robbery under arms where firearms were used, with a 28% clear up rate; a 12% rise in robbery under arms where other instruments were used by the perpetrators, with a clear up rate of 27%; a 48% jump in robbery with violence, with a 57% clear up rate; a 30% increase in robbery with aggravation,  with a 38% clear up rate .

Thirty-seven unlicensed firearms were seized, compared with sixteen for the corresponding period last year.…to continue

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As the keeper of the crime thread I can say that crime has gone down under the pnc. Evidently the PNC police were neglecting their jobs under the PPP as now they have cracked down. This brings to question as to how effective is the PPP in managing crime vs pnc who control the criminals and can unleash then at a moments notice if necessary?  But as we can all see, crime is not the only indicator of progress in a nation, in fact the PNC needs to also encourage investment and have a solid economic plan in conjunction with crime control. So far they are doing well with crime but poor with the economics.  

FM
kp posted:

Let them live to be robbed another day.

KP Bhai, these are reported crimes that the police make a report. Even thought crimes are reported, they are not recorded and counted. I know for sure in the outlying areas, the crimes go unreported. I am sure robberies and drug possession went up by probably more than 50%. Old habits are hard to break.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.