FM
Former Member

Outrage rises in US over black man’s death in police custody:

Chavis Carter

Chavis Carter

Thu Aug 9, 2012 8:25AM GMT

I think they killed him, I mean, my son was not suicidal."

Mother of 21-year old Chavis Carter recently killed in police custody

The death of a young black man in police custody has sparked outrage in Jonesborothe of the US state of Arkansas.

Hundreds of people took to the streets on Wednesday in protest at the death of 21-year old Chavis Carter who was shot in the head while handcuffed in the back of a police car.

Chavis Carter was detained late last month after police found a small bag of drugs on him. He was handcuffed and put in a patrol car.

Minutes later Carter was found slumped in the back of the police car with a bullet wound to the head. He later died in hospital.

Police say Carter committed suicide with a gun he had concealed. But, his family has dismissed that claim saying he couldn’t have shot himself with his hands cuffed and that the bullet hole was in his right temple while he was left-handed, making it unlikely for him his right hand to pull the trigger.

His mother said "I think they killed him, I mean, my son was not suicidal."

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) released a statement calling for an "unbiased investigation" and added "The public relies upon police to serve and protect all citizens, no matter their race or ethnicity."

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by BGurd_See:

d2, caribj and other overseas ppp critics need to take care of these incidents in their own back yards before worrying about blacks bruising their knees in Guyana and screaming racism. 

How do you know that we dont in other forums.  This forum is to discuss political issues in Guyana.

Any way I am glad that you note parallels between the USA, which has historically abused its black citizens, with what is now happening in PPP run Guyana.

FM
Originally Posted by caribny:

d2, caribj and other overseas ppp critics need to take care of these incidents in their own back yards before worrying about blacks bruising their knees in Guyana and screaming racism. 

How do you know that we dont in other forums.  This forum is to discuss political issues in Guyana.

Any way I am glad that you note parallels between the USA, which has historically abused its black citizens, with what is now happening in PPP run Guyana.

Only difference is that if a Black man scratch he finger you scream discrimination. hahhahahah

FM

Only difference is that if a Black man scratch he finger you scream discrimination. hahhahahah

As did loads of Indians under Burnham.  I mean blacks today get treated as Indians got treated under Burnham so if life is grand for blacks now it was fabulous for Indians under Fat Boy.

Only the Indians that bribed the Blacks flourished in Guyana. The poor and less influential were beaten and bullied on a daily basis by Blacks. Today Indians still live in fear of Blacks in Guyana, it is the Black PNC police that you have grief with, not Indians. 

FM

As did loads of Indians under Burnham.  I mean blacks today get treated as Indians got treated under Burnham so if life is grand for blacks now it was fabulous for Indians under Fat Boy.

We were discriminated against institutionally, on the streets, etc.  For Indian it was quasi Apartheid.  I understand the Afros feeling excluded and I have been critical on this issue.  However, nothing matches the daily brutality and oppression Indians suffered under the PNC.  The PPP is not perfect, but sure as hell not the PNC.

FM
Originally Posted by baseman:

We were discriminated against institutionally, on the streets, etc.  For Indian it was quasi Apartheid.  I understand the Afros feeling excluded and I have been critical on this issue.  However, nothing matches the daily brutality and oppression Indians suffered under the PNC.  The PPP is not perfect, but sure as hell not the PNC.

Bhai, Deh man was happy to be barefoot, keerah mouth and eating dry coconut.

Nehru

Don't be an ass, this is in no way neglected. It is before the courts. The system is working where officials may fail. In Guyana you have autocrats who are so arrogant they refuse to tell us what they do with our money. I worry about the corrupt thieves in office. That they are indians is inconsequential.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.