Skip to main content

2017 Digicel Junior CASA declared Open… DS promises Government support for sports

Jul 06, 2017 Sports, http://www.kaieteurnewsonline....-support-for-sports/

By Sean Devers
The well planned and wonderfully executed Digicel 2017 Junior CASA was officially opened yesterday afternoon at the Georgetown Club on Camp Street with a colorful parade of the six teams before Director of Sports, the hard working Christopher Jones, declared the 25th CASA tournament officially open.
Absent was the OECS team who only participated in the individual event which concluded on Tuesday and Jones promised continued Government support for sports in Guyana, noting that sports brings people together and creates a healthy nation.
“This is dememonstrated right here today at this head table as we see two of Guyana’s biggest beverage competitors (Ansa McAl and Banks DIH) sitting side by side as sponsors of this wonderful tournament,” Jones said.
Minister of Telecommunications Cathy Hughes said she was very impressed by the passion exhibited by the youngsters.
“I am in the building next door and see the level of enthusiasm and unity shown throughout this tournament which makes me proud to be from this part of the world. We are from the great Caribbean where there are more similarities than differences between us,” Minister Hughes said to resounding applause from the participants and their parents in the audience.
“Tournaments like this allow us to visit each others’ homes and understand the various cultures. I was tempted to sing the Jamaica anthem when the anthems of the teams were being played since I lived there for seven years and that is the only other anthem I know,” Hughes disclosed.
President of the Guyana Squash Association (GSA) Robin Low said that Squash is considered by many as the world’s most healthy sports but feels it is not recognized as it should be and lamented that squash is not a part of the Olympics.
He thanked the Director of sports for helping to improve squash facilities and Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson for helping with the walkway to the GT club.
“Digicel’s name is synonymous with Squash in Guyana and we would like to thank the company for supporting the GSA over the years and to Coach Carl Ince for his role in the 12 years of Guyana’s success,” said Low, who took over from David Fernandes who is now a Vice-President.
Low thanked everyone who contributed towards making the this event a success, while explaining how much work has to be put into a tournament of this magnitude.
CEO of Digicel, Gregory Deen, informed that Digicel was involved in the Junior CASA tournament six years ago when it was last hosted by Guyana and stated that it was a privilege to be associated with the GSA.
The Digicel boss, who has two daughters who play Squash, singled out Taylor Fernandes and Shomari Wilshire for special praise after they won Guyana’s only two titles in the Individual competition.
Representatives from Exxon Mobil, Banks DIH and Ansa McAl also spoke at the opening. The team Events commenced yesterday at the GT Club.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.