Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As Kari quite correctly said, without Moses Indians wouldn't be splitting their vote.

Don't pat yourself on the head because if Nigel Hughes was the AFC presidential candidate (as their ethnic rotation agreement would have suggested) we would not see this phenomenon.

FM
Last edited by Former Member
Originally Posted by caribny:

As Kari quite correctly said, without Moses Indians wouldn't be splitting their vote.

Don't pat yourself on the head because if Nigel Hughes was the AFC presidential candidate (as their ethnic rotation agreement would have suggested) we would not see this phenomenon.

Yes Moses reassures the Indos that this will be a mixed Government.

However, let us share some credit to the Indians here. They're consciously supporting a Black-led Coalition that will see the election of a Black President. A PNC Leader to boot.

I personally am pleased with development.
FM
Originally Posted by Shaitaan:

However, let us share some credit to the Indians here. They're consciously supporting a Black-led Coalition that will see the election of a Black President. A PNC Leader to boot.

The vast majority of Indians will vote race.  Those who will do so less explicitly only do so as there is an Indian who they can trust.

So no Indians have no more broken the bond of ethnic insecurity than have blacks.

Now look at this. Moses can go into a PNC stronghold without Granger and large numbers of blacks will turn out to hear him.  Would they have done so if he wasn't connected to Granger?  NO.  But they don't need Granger around to listen to what he has to say.

Now describe the reception from Indians to Granger if Nagamootoo isn't there.

FM

The vast majority of Indians will vote race.  Those who will do so less explicitly only do so as there is an Indian who they can trust.

So no Indians have no more broken the bond of ethnic insecurity than have blacks.

Now look at this. Moses can go into a PNC stronghold without Granger and large numbers of blacks will turn out to hear him.  Would they have done so if he wasn't connected to Granger?  NO.  But they don't need Granger around to listen to what he has to say.

like a white man dress with all white with a rope in his hands waiting for you

FM

No doubt. No doubt. But we have a model for the near future of Coalitions of ethnically based parties forming the Government. That is still a significant step in the right direction.

I understand all of what you just said. But let us just step back for a moment and enjoy the little sunshine on a still somewhat cloudy day.

We are at a beginning. An imperfect beginning. But we have begun the long arduous task of crawling out of the grave as a nation.

Even if the Coalition gets 49%, it would still be a remarkable achievement that the Coalition only lost 2% of their 2011 haul.

The bar was set so low for Guyana and Guyanese that we must celebrate even the most glacial movements to a better place.

One of my principal concerns about this Coalition at its announcement was whether or not it would hold at the grassroots level. It appears it can hold even inspite of the loss of Berbice, which is now irrelevant. I underestimated the levels of Indian frustration with this Government. And apparently so did the PPP.

I'm happy. You should be too. Win or lose on May 11th....Guyana has a future. Blacks and Indians can form political alliances capable of capturing power.

You and I should also take a little credit. I assure you our exchanges were followed by certain folks responsible for campaign strategy in this election and incorporated here and there.

FM

no shame in your game, eh?

FM
No doubt. No doubt. But we have a model for the near future of Coalitions of ethnically based parties forming the Government. That is still a significant step in the right direction.

I understand all of what you just said. But let us just step back for a moment and enjoy the little sunshine on a still somewhat cloudy day.

We are at a beginning. An imperfect beginning. But we have begun the long arduous task of crawling out of the grave as a nation.

Even if the Coalition gets 49%, it would still be a remarkable achievement that the Coalition only lost 2% of their 2011 haul.

The bar was set so low for Guyana and Guyanese that we must celebrate even the most glacial movements to a better place.

One of my principal concerns about this Coalition at its announcement was whether or not it would hold at the grassroots level. It appears it can hold even inspite of the loss of Berbice, which is now irrelevant. I underestimated the levels of Indian frustration with this Government. And apparently so did the PPP.

I'm happy. You should be too. Win or lose on May 11th....Guyana has a future. Blacks and Indians can form political alliances capable of capturing power.

You and I should also take a little credit. I assure you our exchanges were followed by certain folks responsible for campaign strategy in this election and incorporated here and there.

unfreakinbelievable!!

look how this shameless banna hustlin to climb out the dustbin of history . . . formerly the comfortable, race majoritarian, triumphalist PPP posey

smfh

FM
Originally Posted by redux:

unfreakinbelievable!!

look how this shameless banna hustlin to climb out the dustbin of history . . . formerly the comfortable, race majoritarian, triumphalist PPP posey

smfh

When have I ever said that I wanted the Coalition to lose or that we shouldn't have multiparty Governments?

Also when have I ever said here that Indians should stay with the PPP at all costs?

I've often alluded to the fact that life for the ordinary Indian might significantly improve under a PNC Government.

This election is close. That is the accepted wisdom. It should never have been close. It would have been a landslide for the PNC if the PNC did not have a sordid history of anti-Indian violence. (let's just stick with the post 1992 anti-Indian violence).

If you notice my postings over the past years, they are like 99% anti-PPP. I've been one of the most obnoxious anti-PPP writers here but as we got closer to a PNC Government, the spotlight in my mind shifted to the PNC's own sorry history. We can see this in that it is expected that the Opposition will lose the two parliamentary seats in Berbice that the AFC won in 2011.

Also, when have I once drawn attention to the 1964 to 1992 period to rubbish the PNC? I've actually been quite rude to PPP posters here who keep harping on that.

In conclusion, there is enough justification to vote for the Coalition and against it, as well as enough justification to vote for the PPP as well as against it.

The fact that the parties are in a statistical deadheat by all accounts seem to bear this out.

FM

Table 2A         Source of votes and party identification by ethnicity

2014 Survey

Ethnic identification with parties - %

PPP

PNC

AFC

Mixed

Amerindian

Black

Indian

2009 Survey

Source of votes by ethnicity - %

PPP

PNC

AFC

Mixed

Amerindian

Black

Indian

2006 Survey

Ethnic identification with parties - %

PPP

PNC

AFC

Mixed

Amerindian

Black

Indian

Source: LAPOP 2006, 2009 and 2014

FM

I also ask the question.  Who is the better friend?  The one who sees you entering a cocktail party with a bit of food on your cheek?  Or the one who tells you about it, so you can remove it, and not embarrass yourself.

Any way APNU AFC have greatly improved their campaigning and I don't care why they did so. They have done so.

I wish them well because if they win, Guyana begins a new chapter on its political history.  One where the prospect of monoracial rule ends.  One where Guyanese of all walks of life can feel included.  And one where a narrow cabal don't arrogantly rule, knowing that the ethnic insecurity of their base will allow them to do as they wish.

This will allow Guyana to then begin to focus on reform the system of local governance, and to adapt strategies for economic and political development.

FM

I also ask the question.  Who is the better friend?  The one who sees you entering a cocktail party with a bit of food on your cheek?  Or the one who tells you about it, so you can remove it, and not embarrass yourself.

Any way APNU AFC have greatly improved their campaigning and I don't care why they did so. They have done so.

I wish them well because if they win, Guyana begins a new chapter on its political history.  One where the prospect of monoracial rule ends.  One where Guyanese of all walks of life can feel included.  And one where a narrow cabal don't arrogantly rule, knowing that the ethnic insecurity of their base will allow them to do as they wish.

This will allow Guyana to then begin to focus on reform the system of local governance, and to adapt strategies for economic and political development.

Ah doan think these mudheads understand that reasoned and informed criticism is healthy on its own but also essential to the project of removing an entrenched incumbent regime such as the PPP.

The worse thing one can do is to attempt to rubbish the people who are already anti-PPP. I don't have to love Moses in order to support him. And I don't know the value of blind allegiance. Thank God for General Granger. I couldn't imagine Guyana in the hands of Moses and his merry band of leader worshippers.

But anyways, the campaign as far as analysis is concerned is practically over. The parties are 31-31 with two outstanding seats to be decided on Election Day.

On election day the remaining anti-PPP Indians will decide to vote PPP or not and thus sway the election along with no APNU turnout boost; or said anti-PPP Indians may vote PPP and their numbers won't be enough to hold off a potential APNU over-performance in Region 4; or even less likely at least 1 Seat's worth of Indians will vote for some small party led by an Indian and cost the PPP the election. Assuming of course there isn't a rise in anti-PPP Amerindian voters and/or a defection among PPP Amerindians to the Opposition.

The path to a PPP victory is now fraught with dangers. They must win it all in order to win it. They must win nearly 100% of remaining undecided Indians and pray for no Black turnout boost. I don't know if either of those scenarios are likely.

This Election was handled well by the Coalition and badly by the PPP.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.