Skip to main content

http://www.inewsguyana.com/201...-sugar-workers-gawu/

December 31, 2015

2015 would be indelible in the sugar workers’ memory as the year when, for the first time in thirty-one (31) years, they were not granted a pay increase, notwithstanding the rising cost of living and their exceptional performance in surpassing the sugar target by 3,721 tonnes, the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) has said in an end-of-the-year press statement.

“The refusal by a State Corporation at once contravenes Article 147 of the Constitution, and is in defiance of the International Labour Organisation’s (ILO) Convention 98; is in breach of the Trade Union Recognition Act (TURA); has ignored the GAWU/GuySuCo Agreement, and is another troubling disregard of principles zealously guarded in democratic societies”.

The statement added that GuySuCo’s stance, which is tantamount to discrimination against 34 per cent of the State’s employees, cannot, be divorced from a statement emanating from the Prime Minister’s Office on November 06, 2015, which stated: “It would be therefore ill-advised, and indeed premature, to commence wage talks”.
GAWU added that another blow to the sugar workers came via the Annual Production Incentive (API) scheme, which was started sixty-two (62) years ago as Annual Production Bonus (APB). It said that despite five (5) meetings to arrive at a reasonable settlement, GuySuCo took an adamant, not shifting from its original offer of one (1) day’s pay for 85,000 tonnes of sugar produced.

GuySuCo workers

GuySuCo workers

“This works out to 2.72 days’ pay for 2015, which is to be paid in March, 2016. This is surely one of the worst API offers in living memory. We see it as a disincentive to our hard-working, productive workers; we see it as stoking unhealthy relations in the industry at this critical time; and we are hoping that the Ministers of the Ministry of Social Protection will intervene, as the issue is at conciliation, in order that a just settlement could be arrived at” $50,000 bonus for sugar workers.

The Union added that with no pay increase and a ridiculous offer as API, it was hopeful that the $50,000 awarded to State employees would have been extended to sugar workers, especially in a season in which ‘compassion’ and ‘goodwill’ are emphasized. “However, representation to Minister Jordan brought disappointment.”
The refusal to offer a bonus to sugar workers came against the backdrop of huge amounts of money found to pay exorbitant salaries to high Government Officials, even though they are new at their work and the responsibilities taken.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I believe privatization and diversification is the way to go. But the land should be sold or given to the workers who worked for the estate. 

Combining the estates is not a viable solution, it will only prolong the problem.

V
VishMahabir posted:

I believe privatization and diversification is the way to go. But the land should be sold or given to the workers who worked for the estate. 

Combining the estates is not a viable solution, it will only prolong the problem.

i agree with you the sugar workers should get land to farm and just close the estates 

FM
warrior posted:
VishMahabir posted:

i agree with you the sugar workers should get land to farm and just close the estates 

Yes, give the lands to the sugar workers. Maybe dem can buy some bulls and you cyan teech dem hoe fuh milk dem. Dem bulls can graze on de land.

FM
skeldon_man posted:
warrior posted:
VishMahabir posted:

Yes, give the lands to the sugar workers. Maybe dem can buy some bulls and you cyan teech dem hoe fuh milk dem. Dem bulls can graze on de land.

you will like that your famlee will get a chance to steal the people bulls.you people do not mean to stop this thieving 

FM
warrior posted:
skeldon_man posted:
warrior posted:
VishMahabir posted:

you will like that your famlee will get a chance to steal the people bulls.you people do not mean to stop this thieving 

Bai like you seh, all me famlee dem deh ah jail. Dem can't tief anymoe. All clear.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.