Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Most might be surprised to learn that the symptoms of mental health illness can include the following:

-          Changes in eating and sleeping patterns (increase or decrease)
-          Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities
-          Prolonged sadness, anger, nervousness, fear or irritability
-          Social withdrawal or Isolation
-          Loss of energy, motivation, productivity and efficiency
-          Issues with concentration, memory or rational thought
-          Increased use of alcohol or illegal substances
-          Hearing voices or seeing things that are not there
-          Physical symptoms such as headaches, chest pain, dizziness or sweating. 
-          Suicidal thoughts 

FM

200,000 Guyanese with mental illness is alarming. Unfortunately, Guyana is unequipped to reach out to the masses in need of advice on their conditions. It's useless to say the Government needs to step in and do something. To add, I noticed this a long time that Guyanese don't have tolerance any longer. Intolerance falls into the category of mental illness to control your behaviors in situations. The alcohol and cocaine are factors in family breakdown, unemployment, and suicides. 

FM
Riff posted:

remarkable that people with sense still around to do such studies...kudos to them

In 1980 I interviewed a prominent Guyanese psychiatrist, Dr Horace Taitt, at his Murray/Quamina Street clinic for a newspaper article I was preparing. He told me that one-third [about 33%] of Guyanese were suffering from "nerves". That was his term to describe mental illness generally. 

So, this latest report by Dr Bhiro Harry & Co is not surprising. It indicates that there is an improvement somewhat from 38 years ago.

FM
Gilbakka posted:
Riff posted:

remarkable that people with sense still around to do such studies...kudos to them

In 1980 I interviewed a prominent Guyanese psychiatrist, Dr Horace Taitt, at his Murray/Quamina Street clinic for a newspaper article I was preparing. He told me that one-third [about 33%] of Guyanese were suffering from "nerves". That was his term to describe mental illness generally. 

So, this latest report by Dr Bhiro Harry & Co is not surprising. It indicates that there is an improvement somewhat from 38 years ago.

I've heard of Dr. Taitt.  He took care of a seriously ill mental patient I know.  Many years ago an American psychologist told that a Guyanese psychologist is regarded as one of the most brilliant psychologists in the U.S. I don't recall his name.  He is of African-descent.

Billy Ram Balgobin

Dem people stress out wid all dem politician and road accident and criminals. Dem doan even gat lil community center and ball field foh dem  no more. Anyhow like everything a mental health. Belly wuk mental health. Meh tek lil 5 year ole likka mental health. Meh lil forget mental health. Let dem keyr dem rass. 

FM
Labba posted:

Dem people stress out wid all dem politician and road accident and criminals. Dem doan even gat lil community center and ball field foh dem  no more. Anyhow like everything a mental health. Belly wuk mental health. Meh tek lil 5 year ole likka mental health. Meh lil forget mental health. Let dem keyr dem rass. 

Labba, yuh rolling up in mud lately!

Baseman
Baseman posted:
Labba posted:

Labba, yuh rolling up in mud lately!

Bai I swimming in meh mud wata watching out foh dem camoudi and caiman. 

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.