Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Riya:
quote:
Originally posted by raymond:

he has a wife and kids in the US...do they all go back?

It may be unfair to them but if they want a life together they will have to make that sacrifice. they can come back whenever they want to.

would they rather have him home or weekly visits to jail?

they can also live in another Caribbean country also...I guess
FM
I would take the three years vs the 20. Anywhere living free must be better than being locked up. I would not sacrifice the kid's future though. I would leave him with a trusted relative or boarding school. The wife can either stay with me or not but that would have to be her decision. But for sure, I am going for the lesser time in prison and getting the hell outa dodge.
FM
quote:
I would not sacrifice the kid's future though. I would leave him with a trusted relative or boarding school. T

interesting

I don't know how much the education system has changed but we did pretty well in guyana going to school there. Why not have the child go to school there and then pursue further studies in America? by then he/she is older and can go off on their own.

And, at least he/she will be with the parents
FM
quote:
quote:
I would not sacrifice the kid's future though. I would leave him with a trusted relative or boarding school. T

interesting

I don't know how much the education system has changed but we did pretty well in guyana going to school there. Why not have the child go to school there and then pursue further studies in America? by then he/she is older and can go off on their own.

From reading Political, I get the impression that the education system is not very good nowadays.
FM
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra:
He can take a plea deal for three-year imprisonment and be deported after.

he could have, but he refused the offer. he is going to trial and putting himself at risk for 20 years AND deportation.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra:
His crime does not affect his wife and kids if they're NOT involved. His family has a choice to join him in Guyana or stay in the US.

his wife is very involved, though she has not been charged...YET. she was officially involved in a number of his criminal deals and her name appears on the court documents and criminal complaint. the poor kid is innocent though.
FM
there are some instances where one can be stripped of their citizenship and deported (usually an act of treason, lying on application, serving in a foreign war against US, etc.), but none of Ed's crime even approach the severity of those.

it's possible, for tax purposes, Ed very likely never became a US citizen. he probably had no intention of paying US taxes on his investments abroad.
FM
quote:
Originally posted by Nehru:
That is right. I would be surprised if ED never went and got his Citizenship.
quote:
Originally posted by Daren David:
If he is a US citizen he cannot be deported. Isn't that so? If he is just holds a green card without US citizenship, then he can be deported.

But wasn't he running for public office in NY recently? To do so, he must be a US citizen.
FM
quote:
Originally posted by ksazma:
quote:
quote:

interesting

From reading Political, I get the impression that the education system is not very good nowadays.

Ksaz, I don't read political often so I am not sure what the guys discuss there about the education system in Guyana.

Ri, I've heard from close friends that many of the teachers are giving after school and Saturday lessons for the CXC exams to help them to pass. The question begs, are the teachers not teaching the full curriculum in school?
FM
If Ed takes the plea bargain and serve three years here in the US, he can still be deported and stripped of his US citizenship (just reiterating what was stated earlier). Should he be deported, he will be barred from entering the US for 10 or 20 years. It could even be longer. If he wants to reduce this sentence, he'll have to file a waiver which will have to show hardship for his US citizen child and wife (if she is not deported as well). It will take him years to get back to the US. If he plans on migrating to another country, he'll have to state his jail time, deportation etc. etc and that will definitely be a setback for him.
FM
Regarding the possibility of Ed serving time for three years and visiting him...that will be a real trial for his family/relatives. One can spend fours hours at the facility just for a one hour visit. The system is slow and antiquated. Visitors are treated as if they are the criminals. The pat downs and shake outs become tedious. The dress code is a whole other story. I feel for those who will be visiting him, should he serve time.
FM
quote:
Originally posted by Miraver:
Regarding the possibility of Ed serving time for three years and visiting him...that will be a real trial for his family/relatives. One can spend fours hours at the facility just for a one hour visit. The system is slow and antiquated. Visitors are treated as if they are the criminals. The pat downs and shake outs become tedious. The dress code is a whole other story. I feel for those who will be visiting him, should he serve time.

yuh sure know plenty Big Grin
FM
quote:
Originally posted by the new yorker:
quote:
Originally posted by Daren David:
But wasn't he running for public office in NY recently? To do so, he must be a US citizen.

he was? you may be right, but i've never heard about that.

don't think he was...he was backing Trevor RUpnarain...but I think Trevor serving time right now
FM
quote:
suh...this fella facing the possibility of 20 years in a US jail ( if found guilty at trial) vs a plea bargain of serving 3 years, then being deported to Guyana...

He has lived most of his life in the US...very successful...what should he do?

Take a chance at trial or serve the 3 years and then back to Guyana?

What guarantee does this person have that if found guilty and sentenced to 20 years that he won't be deported having served his sentence? Seems like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other to me - either way he's screwed.
FM
quote:
suh...this fella facing the possibility of 20 years in a US jail ( if found guilty at trial) vs a plea bargain of serving 3 years, then being deported to Guyana...

He has lived most of his life in the US...very successful...what should he do?

Take a chance at trial or serve the 3 years and then back to Guyana?

Eh..eh! Yuh tekkin pole...ah mean poll fi yuh frenn Ed ar wah?
FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.