Skip to main content

FM
Former Member

16 Vegan Recipes with 3 Ingredients or Less

By: Becky Striepe, September 16, 2013, http://www.care2.com/greenlivi...edients-or-less.html

Vegan cooking doesn’t have to be difficult, and I’ve got 16 vegan recipes with 3 or fewer ingredients to prove it!

My friends and I like to do soup swaps each fall. It’s a fun way to stock your freezer with homemade soups that you can grab and reheat on busy evenings.

We all cook up big batches of delicious soup, package them in mason jars, and exchange, so everyone comes away with a variety.

Not all of my friends are vegan, and at the last swap someone turned to me apologetically and said, “I would have made a vegan recipe, but I didn’t have time.”

Related Reading: Plan a Fall Soup Swap

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I knew that not everyone making soup would choose vegan recipes, so I was ready to come away with fewer soups than I showed up with. That was not a big deal at all. What did stick with me, though, was that comment.

I think it says so much about the perceptions that people have about vegan cooking. Sure, vegan recipes can have dozens of ingredients and be very complex. So can non-vegan recipes. That’s just food. There are also easy vegan recipes that use as few ingredients as anything with meat or dairy.

From smoothies and snacks to main dishes and desserts, vegan recipes can be just as easy and simple as anything with animal products in it.

main photo by Becky Striepe

FM

Vegan Recipes with 3 Ingredients or Less

Caveat: I am not counting salt, pepper, water, or soy sauce/shoyu as ingredients, because these are things every cook uses in almost any savory dish.

FM

1. Roasted Cabbage with Fennel Seeds

Cabbage is such a hearty vegetable, that you can really eat these tender, roasted wedges as a main course. The cabbage leaves turn soft and a little bit sweet on the inside with slightly charred outer leaves. It’s really a party in your mouth, and so, so easy!

vegan recipes roasted cabbage with fennel

photo by Becky Striepe

FM

3. Edamame

Unlike processed soy products, whole soybeans are packed with healthy protein and nutrients. Edamame makes a great snack or side dish! I know that soy has gotten a bad rap lately, any my friend Tanya does a great job of looking at the research into this humble bean.

FM

5. Sauteed Garlicky Squash Blossoms

It’s a little bit late in the year for squash blossoms, but keep an eye out at summer farmers markets for these beauties, or harvest them from your own vines, if you’re growing squash at home. They make a tasty, unique side with few ingredients and very little work.

FM

8. Homemade Chocolate

Commercial chocolate often contains dairy ingredients, but even vegan chocolate bars usually have more than three ingredients. This homemade chocolate has only three whole food ingredients and is just as delicious as anything you’d find in a wrapper.

FM

9. Peanut Milk

Non-dairy milks often contain a long list of ingredients, but making nut-based milks at home is incredibly easy. What I love about this peanut milk recipe is that it’s as inexpensive as it is easy.

peanut milk

Peanut Milk from An Unrefined Vegan

FM

10. Hot Chocolate Mocha

OK, so this is cheating a little bit, but if you don’t count the sweetener, it’s only got three ingredients, and it was too delicious to skip! If you don’t keep stevia in the house, you can sweeten to taste with whatever sweetener you like: sugar, maple syrup, agave nectar, etc.

FM

11. Strawberry Milk

I never had strawberry milk as a kid, but for a lot of folks this is a nostalgic drink. What’s not so warm and fuzzy about conventional strawberry milk, though, is all of those artificial flavors and colors. This recipe uses all whole food ingredients instead of refined sugars and artificial flavorings.

FM

13. Roasted Kabocha Pumpkin

This dish has become a staple in my kitchen. It works well with pretty much any winter squash. I use acorn squash to make it, since that’s what our CSA tends to send. If you don’t like things as sweet, you can do like I do and skip the maple syrup. That makes this a two ingredient meal! Not too shabby, right? You can also use olive oil instead of coconut oil, if you don’t usually keep coconut oil in the house. It’s delicious either way.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.