Skip to main content

SOURCE 12 yr olds drinking rum, using ganja and cocaine – according to new study on drug use in schools
Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan receiving a copy of the report from OAS Representative Jean Ricot Dormeus
Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan receiving a copy of the report from OAS Representative Jean Ricot Dormeus

12 yr olds drinking rum, using ganja and cocaine – according to new study on drug use in schools

A NEW study on drug use among local schoolchildren has found that 12 year olds are drinking rum and smoking cocaine and marijuana.Compiled by the Guyana Drug Information Network, the report says that schoolchildren from as young as 12 years old are using marijuana, cocaine, and other illicit substances along with alcohol

and tobacco. “It’s an outrage, and we have to come up with a strategy to curb this,” Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan told a workshop held at Cara Lodge on Wednesday to launch the report.

Minister Ramjattan admitted to being very disheartened to stand and report that 52% of the students polled during the survey admitted to consuming alcohol once in their lifetime, 31% said they were drunk in the last 12 months, 16% had consumed alcohol in the last 30 days, and 4.9% said they were binge drinkers.

“My intention here is not to create a moral panic, but in all honesty, these statistics paint a picture which shames us all. It is an outrage, and we must do something about it,” the minister declared.

He noted that the government would seek to reduce drug demand and minimise harm by harnessing the resources of communities, law enforcement agencies, and the Ministries of Public Security, Health, Education and Social Protection. “We will be mimic men and not seek to reinvent the wheel when we know what is right and proper,” he posited.

Ramjattan said methods such as sports, recreation, music, positive parenting, and supply reduction to stabilize and eliminate street supply need to be implanted. “The objective is to reduce demand through the promotion of opportunities. We have to somehow prevent and delay drug use,” he opined.

The survey was sponsored by the Organisation of American States (OAS) and the Inter American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD). The report states that the average first-time marijuana user is 12.8 years old; the average first-time cocaine user is 12.1 years old, and the age of the average first-time user of other stimulants is 11.7 years.

In terms of marijuana, the one-year prevalence rate for public schools was 3.2%, while the one-year prevalence rate for private schools was 11.6%. Similarly, the one-month prevalence rate for public schools was 1.8%, while the one-month prevalence rate for private schools was 6.7%.

Cigarette use in private schools showed a significantly higher lifetime prevalence rate than public schools. The lifetime prevalence rate for private schools was 23%, while the lifetime prevalence rate for public schools was 16.3%.

The report said males generally showed greater prevalence rates and higher risks to drug use, while students at private schools showed higher prevalence rates when compared to their counterparts in public schools.

The survey found that, overall, students are aware of the dangers of drug use.

The report recommends that efforts be taken to reduce students’ access to drugs in public places such as sporting events and other outings of similar nature, and from being able to purchase alcohol and cigarettes in shops.

OAS Representative Jean Ricot Dormeus, Canadian High Commissioner Pierre Giroux, and Charge d’Affaires of the Embassy of the United States, Bryan Hunt, also spoke at the launch.

By Rebecca Ganesh

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Tola:

Twelve year old are also violent and commit suicide when they can't handle their depression, from decades old trend.  

In our era we could not be seen in the rum shops or purchase

cigarettes for our personnel use,the elders will question your

presence there.

Django
Originally Posted by Django:

Twelve year old are also violent and commit suicide when they can't handle their depression, from decades old trend.  

presence there.

Plus licks like peas and they will take it away. Also mash up the cigarettes and dump the alcohol in front of you.  

More licks if its known at home.

Do the same now and the 12 year old might pull out a gun or knife. 

Tola

presence there.

Plus licks like peas and they will take it away. Also mash up the cigarettes and dump the alcohol in front of you.  

That surely comes your parents are informed.

Tola in my neighbour hood,(when i was there)i guide some

youths to be good citizens most listened and turned out to

be great individuals,on my recent short visit  (close to two

decades) i inquired on the younger ones i was shocked to learnt

they are on drugs and alcohol.

Django
Last edited by Django

presence there.

Hard to fight against this plague introduced during 23 years of PPP rule. The entire social fabric will be destroyed and young lives with it. The purveyors of this filth in our country, known indian drug lords, will be held up by Seignet and his Indo KKK clan like yugi, cobra, nehru, prashad, randolph and company as "hard wukking" indians who "kno how fuh survive".

FM
Last edited by Former Member

presence there.

Django, we know the substance abuse situation first hand among youth.

Its sad and difficult to see teenagers in hospital who will die by attempting suicide. If only they were taught that they have so many wonderful things  to live for. But they don't have proper leadership as you described.   

Tola

I remember as a small boy my uncle used to send me wid a empty quarter bottle to the rum shop to buy a quarter rum for him and two cigarettes the thing is that the shop man or lady would always sell you no questions asked so from long ago it was norm to sell alcohol and cigarettes to minors.    

ball
Originally Posted by ball:

I remember as a small boy my uncle used to send me wid a empty quarter bottle to the rum shop to buy a quarter rum for him and two cigarettes the thing is that the shop man or lady would always sell you no questions asked so from long ago it was norm to sell alcohol and cigarettes to minors.    

I used to go and buy for my grandfather,the shop man

know me and he knows i will not drink the rum,i was

taught at my age i should not consume alcohol.

Django
Last edited by Django
Originally Posted by Cobra:
Granger should open a rehabilitation center for these kids and put back the criminals in jail.
This government is leading from behind.

THE GOVT DUMB AND BACKWARD. HE GUN JAIL THE USERS AND RELEASE THE CRIMINALS.  OOPS, HE ALREADY DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nehru

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.